The New DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahaveer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of you guys know that the DAT has changed a lot in the past year or so. For all of you that have taken it, how do you feel is the best way to study for it? I know it more theory based now and asks for why things work rather
than the type of questions we're used to seeing in Achiever, Topscore and Destroyer. Do you guys think it would be better to read theory from the examcrackers books. I don't think its fair that we don't have a good source to study for the exam, so we can put in all this effort and not get the results we deserve. Try and contribute to the thread to help future DAT takers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it has changed. Everyone who gets a decent score (and therefore has studied) say GC and OC are conceptual but EASY. Conceptual meaning that they ask which is the most electronegative element or they ask which metal would react the most with Cl-.

Just remember, the questions you always see on the practice tests will be on on their respective sciences.

GC- They ALWAYS ask: galvanic cells, rank electronegativities, quantum numbers, balance equations, reducing/oxidizing agent, rank atomic size, percent composition, various pH questions, thermodynamics, thermochemistry, rate law, Ksp, and easy (no calculation) stoichiometry. I have taken the test and know people that have -- they always ask these questions

all i gotta say in reference to thefifthbeatle is...my GC was definately not all of the above...except for perhaps balancing equations and stoichiometry...hmmphh...but definately focus more on conceptual! i only had like 3 calculations....and honestly there's no possible way to tell u wat to focus on...it's a little bit of everything in the END....
bio was ridiculous!!!! i'm a bio major and i struggled with this section...more critical thinking type questions on the real...i for some reason had a lot of experimental type q's....
oC...breezzzzyyy fooo sheezzyyy...just know ur reactions and what not...stereochemistry all that good stuff...
RC...hmmm a lot of inference type q's....i honestly didn't read the passages...but i might try that the next time around (iA)
QR...SUCKED!!!!! i'm not a math person though....
pat...should be ez as long as you practice practice practice...i thought i did better than what i saw on the SCREEN...sighh

anyway best of luck to you
honestly you just never know what can happen...
i was pretty depressed walkin' out of that prometric center...but you know something wherever there's a will there's a way=)
be a goooo gettttaaaa

all i gotta say in reference to thefifthbeatle is...my GC was definately not all of the above...except for perhaps balancing equations and stoichiometry...hmmphh...but definately focus more on conceptual! i only had like 3 calculations....and honestly there's no possible way to tell u wat to focus on...it's a little bit of everything in the END....
bio was ridiculous!!!! i'm a bio major and i struggled with this section...more critical thinking type questions on the real...i for some reason had a lot of experimental type q's....
oC...breezzzzyyy fooo sheezzyyy...just know ur reactions and what not...stereochemistry all that good stuff...
RC...hmmm a lot of inference type q's....i honestly didn't read the passages...but i might try that the next time around (iA)
QR...SUCKED!!!!! i'm not a math person though....
pat...should be ez as long as you practice practice practice...i thought i did better than what i saw on the SCREEN...sighh

anyway best of luck to you
honestly you just never know what can happen...
i was pretty depressed walkin' out of that prometric center...but you know something wherever there's a will there's a way=)
be a goooo gettttaaaa

Im guessing iA stands for inshallah