The New Optometry Schools Opening in 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armstrong77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be a good idea to keep track of the impending schools in a single thread.

University of the Incarnate Word, Texas
http://www.uiw.edu/optometry/index.htm
http://www.uiw.edu/news/#opt
The University of the Incarnate Word has announced the addition of a new program, the UIW School of Optometry and its Founding Dean Hani Ghazi-Birry, MS, MD, OD, PhD, OCS. Students can begin a pre-optometry track in fall 2008. UIW will be the only faith-based School of Optometry in the United States

Western University of Health Sciences, California
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/optometry/welcome.xml
The nation's newest College of Optometry will build upon this rock-solid foundation by establishing its own clear identity, delineating a central focus for its educational, clinical, and research programs, and by creating a distinguished reputation.

Midwestern University, Arizona (March 2008 Alumni Newsletter)
http://www.midwestern.edu/alumnipulse/glendale.asp
A four-year Doctor of Optometry Program leading to the O.D. degree will begin in the fall of 2009. The new program will be the only optometry program in the state, and only one of 18 in the country. With many medically-underserved rural areas and an aging population, Arizonans will require additional optometrists to provide both routine and corrective eye care. MWU's new program plans to graduate 50 students per year. The University also plans to open and operate an optometry clinic by 2009, which will complement current medical practices in the Midwestern University Clinic.

So come Dec 2009, we'll have 20 US/PR optometry schools?

Members don't see this ad.

God Bless! The more, the merrier. 20-25-make it 30 who cares? Bring it on.
Let me see how many people are going to kill me on this one- supply and demand bull@ argument..........................

Members don't see this ad :)
You think more schools is good for optometry? Why so? What's wrong with the number of institutions we have now? You think there's a shortage of ODs?

Lets have an OD in every check out lane of every retail store in the country!

Indiana OD- everyone has to amke a living one way or another. Since you all feel threatened or so concerned b/c of competition, saturation, salaries, etc.....why don't you address it to the AOA and each Optometric State Board. If these institutions are not going to make it down the road, then they will close the doors right? or are you concerned by them bringing in low quality applicants and they might not be as good as you and I?
Really, tell me what is the problem you all fear.

Indiana OD- everyone has to amke a living one way or another. Since you all feel threatened or so concerned b/c of competition, saturation, salaries, etc.....why don't you address it to the AOA and each Optometric State Board. If these institutions are not going to make it down the road, then they will close the doors right? or are you concerned by them bringing in low quality applicants and they might not be as good as you and I?
Really, tell me what is the problem you all fear.

The AOA is greatly aware of our concerns. They have no way to influence private schools and are afraid they will get sued for anti-trust. They are worthless in the matter. The AOA president replied to me in a personal email after I voiced my concerns.

Here is the problem with too many ODs:
Lower income
Acceptance of ridiclously low fees to get patients in the door
Increase in low ball insurances
Massive increase in commercial optometry
Decreased fees means need to see more patients and spend less time with them.
Less qualified OD students means bad for everyone

A survey showed that the average OD sees less than 2 patients per hour, but would like to see more. A modern OD with an efficient office could see at least 4 per hour. So we already have 2x the ODs that we need.

Why else are ODs working at wally with low exam fees and excepting crazy low insurances?

ODs would rather stab each other in the back than possibly lose a $20 copay.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20080321005060&newsLang=en

The College of Optometry at Western University of Health Sciences took a major step toward opening its doors in fall 2009.

"The classification of ‘Preliminary Approval’ is granted to a professional optometric degree program that has clearly demonstrated it is developing in accordance with Council standards. The program has approval to begin student recruitment, selection and admissions, and to begin offering the program,” according to a letter from the American Optometric Association."

Did anyone read the blurb under UIW ? Faith-based college of optometry ? How would that work. My OD class had muslims, hidus, bhuddists, mormons, catholics, jewish and protestants. Are they going to exclude people based on faith ? Or just force everyone to take scripture classes ?

Did anyone read the blurb under UIW ? Faith-based college of optometry ? How would that work. My OD class had muslims, hidus, bhuddists, mormons, catholics, jewish and protestants. Are they going to exclude people based on faith ? Or just force everyone to take scripture classes ?

It's just a line to make themselves feel better. The only difference between Catholic hospitals, as far as i know, and secular ones is abortion and similar procedures.

No school who truly cared about their students would throw them into an oversaturated job market and further complicate the problem.

It's been pretty quiet on these boards.

Anyone have any new info on these schools?

Just thought it would be a good idea to keep track of the impending schools in a single thread.

1. University of the Incarnate Word, Texas
  2. Western University of Health Sciences, California
  3. Midwestern University, Arizona

So come Dec 2009, we'll have 20 US/PR optometry schools?

I have heard some very strong indications that there will be one in Aurora CO. in 2010 or 2011.

This is a serious issue for many professions- new schools opening to make money from gullable students. Look at the legal profession. Right now, they have 200+ schools graduating so many lawyers that the market is saturated. Unless the attorney is in the top 15 school, or top 5-10 percent of your class and going into BIG LAW, they cant find jobs or are taking big paycuts due to the economy. In fact, the wall street journal recently did an article on how many licensed graduates are reviewing documents for 20 dollars an hour if they are not employed.

Too bad most accrediation and organizations cant do anything about opening of new schools until we can prove it actually harms the patient.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a serious issue for many professions- new schools opening to make money from gullable students. Look at the legal profession. Right now, they have 200+ schools graduating so many lawyers that the market is saturated. Unless the attorney is in the top 15 school, or top 5-10 percent of your class and going into BIG LAW, they cant find jobs or are taking big paycuts due to the economy. In fact, the wall street journal recently did an article on how many licensed graduate are reviewing documents for 20 dollars an hour if they are not employed.

Too bad most accrediation and organizations cant do anything about opening of new schools we can prove it actually harms the patient.

How's the situation for pharmacy students and grads? Oversupply or OK?

I have NOT heard that but I can't say that I'm surprised. WHo's behind this one?

Rocky Vista Osteopathic Medical School. It was first started in the Carribean

Sounds like a real upper tier institution there. :rolleyes:

If this new school becomes reality then I believe that I would have to take the position of NOT recommending optometry to any potential student.

As it stands right now, I would recommend it cautiously. As long as students know what they are getting into and are aware of the issues relating to scope of practice, and insurance accessibility when they graduate and are willing to locate to places where those are less and less of an issue, then I still believe optometry can be a decent career.

But with three and possibly 4 new schools coming online and the AOA having studies of it's own admitting that we have an oversupply of providers relative to current and projected future demand for at least the next 25 years, then I think the scale is tipping in the opposite direction to me actively discouraging students from entering this field. What a shame. :(

The medical profession is also concerned about this school starting up a new osteopathic program.

The AOA may not be able to stop these schools due to anti-trust issues...Maybe they could try to work with ASCO or whoever to limit the number of graduates overall.. like reduce the number by 25% overall and make graduation rate, board passage rates, etc.... as a guideline?.....Just my thoughts

The medical profession is also concerned about this school starting up a new osteopathic program.

They are in undersupply, so they don't have as much worrying as us to do. If we were in clear undersupply I wouldn't care about the new schools.

The AOA may not be able to stop these schools due to anti-trust issues...Maybe they could try to work with ASCO or whoever to limit the number of graduates overall.. like reduce the number by 25% overall and make graduation rate, board passage rates, etc.... as a guideline?.....Just my thoughts

I keep hearing about these anti-trust issues in optometry, yet somehow it seems that the dental profession has worked their way around this. They seem to have a pretty firm grip on any new schools opening up. Anyone know anything more about this. Any dental people lurking around these parts?

I keep hearing about these anti-trust issues in optometry, yet somehow it seems that the dental profession has worked their way around this. They seem to have a pretty firm grip on any new schools opening up. Anyone know anything more about this. Any dental people lurking around these parts?

There's nothing anti-trust about denying accreditation to a new institution, it's just a lame excuse. AOA needs to knock off the hippie **** and grow a pair.

What does this mean? Aren't they an osteopathic medical school?

What does this mean? Aren't they an osteopathic medical school?

They are just getting started as I understand, possibly recruiting their fist class, and only hold provisional accreditation.

I believe the controvery was/is over their college not only being a private institution for one that is "for-profit."

For some background reading: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=437954&highlight=rocky+mountain

I think the lesson to be learned from their experience is that it's too expensive to open a new MD school vs. a DO school because of the difference in reserve funds needed. If our profession wanted to tighten the ship up they could simply require new institutions to have HUGE reserve fund on hand and thereby eliminate any interest in new schools popping up.

I am always compiling lists to help eye care professionals keep up to date on current educational offerings. In fact, this is my job. Thank you for taking the time. I handle everything from Tech's to OD's to MD's and their education and continuing ed....so it gets a bit overwhelming. Thank you for your help!
:thumbup:

LocalEyeSite.com - an online community for all eye care professionals.
Let's network!

I am always compiling lists to help eye care professionals keep up to date on current educational offerings. In fact, this is my job. Thank you for taking the time. I handle everything from Tech's to OD's to MD's and their education and continuing ed....so it gets a bit overwhelming. Thank you for your help!
:thumbup:

LocalEyeSite.com - an online community for all eye care professionals.
Let's network!

And you think coming to SDN will help you do you job? :laugh:

I'm seriously thinking about going into Optometry. I work as an Optometric tech and love it. What are the pros and cons (or would you even recommend) optometry as a profession right now?

I can see that some wouldn't but I am also wondering why.

I'm seriously thinking about going into Optometry. I work as an Optometric tech and love it. What are the pros and cons (or would you even recommend) optometry as a profession right now?

I can see that some wouldn't but I am also wondering why.

One of the cons is the subject of this thread.

University of the Incarnate Word, Texas
http://www.uiw.edu/optometry/index.htm
http://www.uiw.edu/news/#opt
The University of the Incarnate Word has announced the addition of a new program, the UIW School of Optometry and its Founding Dean Hani Ghazi-Birry, MS, MD, OD, PhD, OCS. Students can begin a pre-optometry track in fall 2008. UIW will be the only faith-based School of Optometry in the United States

Recipe for disaster.

... not that adding two more schools to the US isn't already.

Hey does anyone know what kind of criteria they are looking for these new schools? Did anyone actually give them a call or an email and can tell me more information about them. Like when does the application process start?

Hey does anyone know what kind of criteria they are looking for these new schools? Did anyone actually give them a call or an email and can tell me more information about them. Like when does the application process start?

They'll most likely take anyone with a pulse and a pocketbook.

lol.. Is anyone applying to the new school? Im actaully interested in the one in California (Western College). Let me know if anyone is applying to one of the new schools.

lol.. Is anyone applying to the new school? Im actaully interested in the one in California (Western College). Let me know if anyone is applying to one of the new schools.

choose a good public school. why take risks?

Guys did anyone apply to western college and get accepted? I want to know how the interview went.

Why else are ODs working at wally with low exam fees and excepting crazy low insurances?

ODs would rather stab each other in the back than possibly lose a $20 copay.[/QUOTE]

Hate to burst your $20 copay bubble but I was in Washington DC for July 4th. To be exact I saw a $19 eye exam (Clear Vision) 10 min from DC (Falls Church, VA).

I am truly sorry to hear about the new schools opening....it will make poor situation worse. In a perfect world there would be a 2 or 3 week wait to see an OD for non-emergent/urgent care. Just wondering....how far ahead are the ODs on this board booking-up?? One day, one week, one month?? ....never....:(

I am truly sorry to hear about the new schools opening....it will make poor situation worse. In a perfect world there would be a 2 or 3 week wait to see an OD for non-emergent/urgent care. Just wondering....how far ahead are the ODs on this board booking-up?? One day, one week, one month?? ....never....:(

My OD is usually booked for at least a week, sometimes more depending on what time of the year it is.

So what's the deal?

Which new schools actually have an entering class this year?

:sleep:
Who cares?
The profession can only take so much supply before demand suffers making optometry a less savory career choice.

Maybe more OD's will give us more political power?

I'll believe all this when the schools are graduating full classes of competent OD's. Right now its all just talk.

Faith based?!? :bow: What?? Why? How does that relate to optometry? Are they going to be praying for that glaucoma to go away? :laugh: Why not just include more medical ethics in the curriculum and call it ethics-based optometry? Faith healing is a well documented scam, what should we expect from faith optometry? Seems like solely a patient recruiting scam to me. Fly the fishy sign and get more patients, I guess. Typical of religion based groups.

:sleep:
Who cares?
The profession can only take so much supply before demand suffers making optometry a less savory career choice.

Maybe more OD's will give us more political power?

I'll believe all this when the schools are graduating full classes of competent OD's. Right now its all just talk.

Faith based?!? :bow: What?? Why? How does that relate to optometry? Are they going to be praying for that glaucoma to go away? :laugh: Why not just include more medical ethics in the curriculum and call it ethics-based optometry? Faith healing is a well documented scam, what should we expect from faith optometry? Seems like solely a patient recruiting scam to me. Fly the fishy sign and get more patients, I guess. Typical of religion based groups.

Amen...;)

The "faith-based" school in question, the University of the Incarnate Word, is Catholic. Catholic higher education has an outstanding history of serving Catholics and non-; this skeptical agnostic thinks the school should be proud of what it is and where it comes from. Saying "faith-based" rather than Catholic, "in the Catholic tradition," etc., is probably actually intended to soften it and make it more generic and universal. We can't expect them to teach faith healing any more than the five U.S. Catholic medical schools, the Seventh-Day Adventist Loma Linda, countless residencies in religiously-affiliated health systems, countless allied health programs, etc.

The "faith-based" school in question, the University of the Incarnate Word, is Catholic. Catholic higher education has an outstanding history of serving Catholics and non-; this skeptical agnostic thinks the school should be proud of what it is and where it comes from. Saying "faith-based" rather than Catholic, "in the Catholic tradition," etc., is probably actually intended to soften it and make it more generic and universal. We can't expect them to teach faith healing any more than the five U.S. Catholic medical schools, the Seventh-Day Adventist Loma Linda, countless residencies in religiously-affiliated health systems, countless allied health programs, etc.

I could understand how taking a "faith-based" approach could be potentially beneficial for OTHER areas of study (political science, writing, whatever). However, what POSSIBLE benefit could this have in terms of practicing optometry? What is the relationship between someone's faith (or lackthereof) and practicing/learning optometry?

I'm asking because I genuinely want to know what the thought process is. Obviously there are enough people in support of this to be able to start a new optometry institution, so what are their arguments? Is it just a label to stand out? What are their expectations about how the faith-based program will affect their potential graduates?

Just going to throw out there that they probably said "faith-based" to try and make them seem more appealing. I doubt there will be much to differentiate them from a secular/state Optometry school, except the tuition of course...

"The mission of the University of the Incarnate Word School of Optometry is to educate and prepare future leaders in optometry through excellence in education, patient care, vision research, and public service, within a context of faith and personal development."

(http://optometry.uiw.edu/about/missiongoals.html)

Not to turn this into a pro- and anti-religion thread, but I, too, was somewhat turned off by Incarnate Word's claim it teaches optometry "within a context of faith." Monkey-crap. If the O.D. curriculum comprises no classes in addition to the medical onces offered at any other college of optometry — and if the material presented in those courses is comparable to that presented in those other colleges — the claim regarding religion is nothing more than a flashy advertisement. There might be more campus groups centered on Christianity, but the university's educational program, per se, entails no more "personal development" than can be found at the bottom of a box of Cracker Jack cereal.

I think - I'm confident - calling the school faith-based or Catholic is just telling something about where the university comes from, not where its optometry program is going to take anyone. Picture the first school of optometry at an HBCU. It would be open to all. It wouldn't talk about African American eyesight and African Americans in optometry all day. It would teach the same optometry as every other school of optometry. It would still have a special draw to some students, staff and donors. Medical mission work from students and staff would probably show a special interest in Africa and the African disapora.

Last edited:
About the only reason to attend one of the new start-up schools would be if you are rejected everywhere else or already live across the street.

Their first classes will be made up primarily of the bottom-of-the-barrel applicants that were rejected by all other programs & their grads will be viewed as inferior by their peers.

As with all new programs, there will be unforseen complications and these schools will do what's in their best interest at the expense of its students.