The "new" PTCB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD321

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi all!

I wanted to let all of you know that I just got this in my email and the PTCB is now changing their rules. The test results will be available right after you finish your test. :thumbup::):thumbup:

Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Unveils New Testing Features for 2009:
PTCB Exam to be Offered Daily; Test Results Given to Candidates Immediately in 2009

Washington, D.C. – The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) – the pioneer in the certification of pharmacy technicians - announced today that on April 1, 2009, the PTCB Examination will be available in continuous testing format at Pearson Professional Centers nationwide. PTCB also announced that exam candidates will receive an official pass or fail result at the test center after the completion of the exam, effective immediately.
The PTCB certification program is the only certification endorsed by the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) and other professional pharmacy organizations. The PTCB examination is administered in all 50 states, DANTES testing centers worldwide, and in Guam and Puerto Rico, and is included in the regulations of 30 states. The transition to on-demand, year round exam availability is designed to meet increasing demand from educators, employers and pharmacy technicians. PTCB candidate demographics and numbers have expanded steadily over PTCB’s 14 years as the industry leader in certifying pharmacy technicians. In 2008, PTCB tested over 50,000 pharmacy technicians and has certified 330,425 CPhTs since inception in 1995, through the examination and transfer process.
"As industry demand continues to grow and more states like Texas require pharmacy technicians to be PTCB certified as part of the registration process, we recognized the need to evolve our program," said Melissa Murer Corrigan, RPh, Executive Director and CEO of PTCB. "Similar to NAPLEX (the pharmacist licensure exam),pharmacy technicianssoon will be able to take the test on-demand and learn their pass/fail status immediately. These new features will support patient safety and enhance customer service."
The current quarterly administration of the PTCB examination will conclude on March 31, 2009. Eligible exam candidates applying after April 1, 2009 will be authorized to test immediately, and may schedule an exam appointment in the 90 days following approval. Candidates will continue to schedule examination appointments at any of the over 200 Pearson Professional Centers nationwide and internationally at DANTES testing centers in the continuous testing format.
The PTCB national Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (PTCE) certification program is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).

Members don't see this ad.

Anxiety kills...... this is pretty awesome and im planning to get my certification this year too. thxforsharing:D

Thanks for the info dude. I am also thinking about taking the PTCE within a months so this is definitely a good improvements for all of us seeking this certification.
Good thing that they didn't make any kind of modifications in the test format.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing I caught from the e-mail was that instead of having to wait for specific testing windows, they will be doing testing on a year round basis (ie-no testing windows). Another nice change in my opinion. :)

Anxiety kills...... this is pretty awesome and im planning to get my certification this year too. thxforsharing:D

No problem! I thought it was a great change for new people seeking certification and I had to wait for my results for like 3 weeks to a month!

Thanks for the info dude. I am also thinking about taking the PTCE within a months so this is definitely a good improvements for all of us seeking this certification.
Good thing that they didn't make any kind of modifications in the test format.

I agree that it is a good thing the PTCB didn't modify the exam because it is already hard as it is (I only had like 707 overall points!). I bet it would be too hard for me if they did.

The other thing I caught from the e-mail was that instead of having to wait for specific testing windows, they will be doing testing on a year round basis (ie-no testing windows). Another nice change in my opinion. :)

Oh yes that is a great change! I had to wait 3 months after the class I took was over until I can do the exam (preparation class was from April to June and the test was in September). The 3 months may have been good study times but those occur during the summer. I didn't study much but I am so fortunate to say that I passed it.

Thank god they finally did this. The test was harder to register for than to pass. "When's the deadli....f*** I missed it again!?"

wowness this is awesome news Too bad im taking the test in February so i will have to wait

about time, there was no reason for them to offer test windows and no immediate score.

oh well, useless test since most of you are getting your intern licenses within a year or two of becoming a tech most likely. Just a nice bullet point to put on your applications!