The Newest PDAs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good PDA for medical students? There are some old threads about this, but PDA models and prices change so rapidly, it is a little outdated. What is everyone using? What would you recommend to someone looking to buy a new PDA?

Members don't see this ad.

i was planning on getting a open-box palm T2

and loading up on a memory card.

I have the Tungsten t4 which is absolutely great and very positively reviewed. It has a USEABLE keyboard, longlasting battery, it's fast, and the best thing is it is wireless enabled, if your campus has wireless (802.11b).

But PDA's are changing so quickly that I probably would not buy one now unless you need it. In just months they'll have a cheap pda/cellphone/beeper combo that's small and makes everything else obsolete.

Members don't see this ad :)
i use tungsten E
its not the newest thing out there,but its enough for me and w/ expansion cards
not bad at all

Dell Axim X30 with blue tooth and 802.11b wireless built in. 624mhz with 64MB built in memory and 64MB included as SD ROM. Furthermore, you could get the GPS attachment from dell for 250 and it can be a nice GPS for when you have to travel for interviews or wherever.

Then again i am pro-dell so my opinion my be skewed. Objectively though, there is no palm out there with a faster processor right now.

I have a Dell Axim X30 624mHz etc, etc, too and I'm loving it. They're supposed to be installing wireless througout the whole school (right now they just have it in the library). Sometimes the library's wireless reaches into the lecture hall and I'm able to look stuff up right on the spot. Good stuff.

Can u surf the web with the Dell Axim? I just ordered mine yesterday. NJMS is becoming wireless pretty fast. Does this mean I can check and send emails during a boring @$$ lecture?

Yup, you should be able to check your emails, surf the web, etc etc all through wireless on your PDA. Btw, do you know how much of UMDNJ - NJMS is wireless right now? hopefully itll be fully wireless by the time classes start.

4 Ever said:
Yup, you should be able to check your emails, surf the web, etc etc all through wireless on your PDA. Btw, do you know how much of UMDNJ - NJMS is wireless right now? hopefully itll be fully wireless by the time classes start.

Well from what I know the first year lecture hall seemed to be wireless already. I think a guy in my summer class went online using his toshiba notebook.

manwhoisthursdy said:
I have the Tungsten t4 which is absolutely great and very positively reviewed. It has a USEABLE keyboard, longlasting battery, it's fast, and the best thing is it is wireless enabled, if your campus has wireless (802.11b).

But PDA's are changing so quickly that I probably would not buy one now unless you need it. In just months they'll have a cheap pda/cellphone/beeper combo that's small and makes everything else obsolete.

I think you're talking about the tungesten C?

I just got my Dell Axim X30 624mHz and I love it as well. It is like having a tiny laptop you can stick in your pocket. You can surf the web, check e-mail etc.

aren't most med apps made for palm OS? or have times changed? or are there palm emulators?

soreed said:
aren't most med apps made for palm OS? or have times changed? or are there palm emulators?

Most are made for the Palm OS...plus there are hundreds more free medical software programs for Palm then there are for PocketPC.

Members don't see this ad :)
no such thing as a tungsten T4

I have a question related to PDA as well. I am just starting school in few weeks, and was thinking whether to get one. I know that I don't really need it till 3rd year, and they get outdated so fast. But on the other hand it would be so great for organization and e-mail checking. So is there really a point of bying one now? What are your thoughts? Thanks :confused:

terp03 said:
I have a question related to PDA as well. I am just starting school in few weeks, and was thinking whether to get one. I know that I don't really need it till 3rd year, and they get outdated so fast. But on the other hand it would be so great for organization and e-mail checking. So is there really a point of bying one now? What are your thoughts? Thanks :confused:

As a fellow pre-MS1, I'd say just get a simple one for organization like the Tungsten E, which is a good PDA. The ones for e-mail checking require wi-fi access. I figure that in an area with wi-fi access, I can probably find a computer somewhere to check my email.
Just my two cents...

People at my school use thier PDA's for different things. I live out of mine. I use it for scheduling, e-mail, carrying documents and presentations, drug reference, lab reference, contact information, etc. You need to decide what you are going to use it for, and what features you need.

Bluetooth: A form of wireless connectivity between PDA's, cell phones, etc. Only really usefull if you have other bluetooth devices allready. If not, you're adding $50-100 to the cost of the PDA for nothing.

Wi_Fi: Great for web surfing, but only if you have a WiFi connection wherever you are. As someone already mentioned, if you've got Wi-FI at your school, you probably have computer terminals sitting everywhere anyway, and this becomes redundant. Also good for checking e-mails, but I usually have my palm download e-mails while it's hotsynching each morning and read them through the day.

Keyboard: Almost everyone I've spoken to has gotten used to graffiti quickly, and those that bought PDA's with keyboards don't use them for long. A separate fold-up keyboard for e-mail or for editing documents may be usefull, but the small keypads on the PDA's don;t lend themselves to speedy data entry once you get proficient with your stylus.

Memory: You want lots of it. My old Palm m505 came with 8mb, it could no longer hold even just my medicine programs. Not all programs are compatible with a memory card, so don't assume that you can just overflow onto one, you want to maximize your onboard memory. My new Palm T3 has 64mb, but I think 32 would be plenty for most, unless you start carrying pictures, videos, music, etc.

Expansion ports: You will never be using more than one card at a time, so multiple SD ports are redundant. You certainly need at least one.

Palm vs. Pocket PC: Pocket PC used to have the advantage in multimedia applications. Being a Bill Gates product, it also hogged huge amounts of memory space and required whiz-bang processors to run at speed. The simpler Palm OS has caught up with PC in the multimedia dept, and the new Palm PDA's actually have better screen resolution than any of the currently available PC's. Plus, most medical software is available for the Palm, hit or miss for the PC. I genuinely believe tha PC is fading from favor. The one exception: a software package called Up-to-Date. A very powerfull (read: very expensive) platform that is only available for PC. I think the new expanded versions of Epocrates Essentials rival it, cost less, and are very much available for the Palm. Check with your school, however, some are supplying subscriptions to up-to-date and it would be a shame to buy a Palm only to have it not run the software your school prefers.

So, what does this come down to? I decided I did not need Wi-Fi. I wanted a Palm with lots of memory. I looked at the Palm Tungsten E, but did not like the fact that it did not fit the universal Palm docking cradle. I also fell in love with the larger screen of the Tungsten T3.

Cost: Palm Tungsten E $199, Tungsten T3 $399. You can probably find them both much cheaper online. Start at the website MySimon.com, which will run a search of online vendors to find you the lowest price.

Also, don't just take my word for it, read some reviews. Try Cnet.com for starters.

Good luck!

So, you need a PDA on the ambulance to tell you when to give the red box, and when to give the big blue box? You probably should just call medical control if you're going to get all confused... :p

I found that I did not need a PDA first year until I started doing a lot of work leading a student group where suddently I had meetings are various hours. I did find epocrites very useful when shadowing or listening to an M&M, if only to convert a brand name to drug name that I was more familiar with. Since the vast majority of Palms, and I'm guessing all PPC's now having memory card slots, I think memory is less of an issue. But I found my old Palm m125's screen hard to read, especially compared to the beautiful new Palms, and it is painfully slow running Micromedix, a program we get for free through our library. Plus, I'm addicted to email. So the Tungsten C is on its way.

To those who got the Dell Axim X30, where exactly did you purchase it? I can't seem to find it online..

Dumpling said:
To those who got the Dell Axim X30, where exactly did you purchase it? I can't seem to find it online..

www.dell.com it's in the "handheld" section.

I think it's hard to find dell products elsewhere but directly from dell.

Thanks, Bushbaby. See you at orientation. :)

just be prepared for a long wait - it seems all of NJMS might have ordered at the same time and dell has to now put them "in-production" which is nonsense since they ought to really just be good to go (aside from maybe a chip difference). But ive been waiting for a week so far and its still in-production phase

Dumpling and 4 Ever,

Either of you going to the bears game on friday (the 20th)?

i'll be there - baseball rocks!! I wonder if ill be a dork if i bring my baseball mitt - what do you think? Leave it at home?

Oh and my Dell Shipped today so thats some butter right there.

4 Ever said:
i'll be there - baseball rocks!! I wonder if ill be a dork if i bring my baseball mitt - what do you think? Leave it at home?

Oh and my Dell Shipped today so thats some butter right there.

While I don't really care for baseball, I will still attend so I can bond with fellow classmates plus it's free so why the heck not.

I just checked my dell status today and mine was also shipped today. I reckon I should be getting it by next wednesday....

Yeah, I plan to go. I'm not a huge fan of baseball either, but it should be nice to chill with the new classmates. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a baseball mitt, 4 ever. :)

hey fellow njmeds!

re: pdas - i have a compaq ipaq 3900 - more than adequate for our needs. i am curious to see how wireless we really will be at school and in the hospital. would be great to be able to access the web from lecture. my model is a couple of seasons old, but the perk is that i picked up a case and keyboard for $10 bucks yesterday.

see you guys at the game on the 20th - looking forward to meeting you all.
are you guys doing dinner at iberia?
peace.

4 Ever said:

I already started a thread on this but I I heard about [email protected] from a fellow med-student and sent them an e-mail and they said that I could transfer my t-mobile phone to the blackberry, and that the blackberry would be close to $100 and that for $30 a month I could have full wireless e-mail/internet/etc.

What's the feel on this?