The next step...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well after a day riddled with disappointment, I am trying to focus on the next step. I was hoping some re-applicants or anyone else with advice could give me some.

My situation: 3.6 OGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 20AA, 20TS, 23PAT. You can check out my EC's on predents. So far this cycle I have had 3 interviews, 1 rejection, and 1 waitlist, with one more interview coming Dec. 16th. I graduated last may and this last fall semester I am taking Biochem to fulfill my last prerequisite. Of course I was under the assumption that I had a decent shot of making it in this cycle so that is the only class I took. What do I do now? Do I sign up for a full load of upper division Science classes that I haven't taken for the spring? I really really don't want to retake the DAT and think my scores are pretty good.

I know now that one of my biggest issues was how late my application was complete (early September). Many of the schools I applied to (MW-az, Louisville, Western, etc.) were pretty much done giving out interviews by that time and I feel that my application was definitely put on the back burner. So of course next cycle I will submit day 1.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have no research experience. Should I try to get in on a research team at my college this semester?

Thanks in advance for the help, I am at a loss right now and need some brainstorming. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Well after a day riddled with disappointment, I am trying to focus on the next step. I was hoping some re-applicants or anyone else with advice could give me some.

My situation: 3.6 OGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 20AA, 20TS, 23PAT. You can check out my EC's on predents. So far this cycle I have had 3 interviews, 1 rejection, and 1 waitlist, with one more interview coming Dec. 16th. I graduated last may and this last fall semester I am taking Biochem to fulfill my last prerequisite. Of course I was under the assumption that I had a decent shot of making it in this cycle so that is the only class I took. What do I do now? Do I sign up for a full load of upper division Science classes that I haven't taken for the spring? I really really don't want to retake the DAT and think my scores are pretty good.

I know now that one of my biggest issues was how late my application was complete (early September). Many of the schools I applied to (MW-az, Louisville, Western, etc.) were pretty much done giving out interviews by that time and I feel that my application was definitely put on the back burner. So of course next cycle I will submit day 1.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have no research experience. Should I try to get in on a research team at my college this semester?

Thanks in advance for the help, I am at a loss right now and need some brainstorming. :idea:

While it is smart to look ahead to next cycle, you should know you aren't out of the game yet. Many schools have sent out acceptances, but not many are done interviewing. With your stats, I wouldn't be surprised if you get some February or March interviews, and possibly some acceptances. Keep busy, don't let any holes pop up o your application in case you do have to reapply. I don't know if research is the best option, I would probably go get a job and earn some money prior to school. Keep your head up, you still have a shot, but be it's good to be prepared!

I am really sorry to hear that !! I was sure you would be in by Dec 1.
Where Did you get rejected from and waitlisted ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember you from my Indiana interview. What is your status with them? They rejected me. :(:wtf:

I think I remember you from my Indiana interview. What is your status with them? They rejected me. :(:wtf:

I guess I just missed the line that Indiana draws for sending out OOS acceptances. Luckily Dr. Kasberg is a great guy and said that I had a good shot at making it on the alternate list come March. I am trying to keep my hopes up, but I think for now I will try and prep my next cycle's application.

4 Interviews: Indiana, Nova, Loma Linda, Detroit Mercy (Dec. 16th)
1 Rejection: Nova
2 "Under Review": Indiana, Loma

The thing is I have to sign up now for classes if I am going to take them. What should I do?

I guess I just missed the line that Indiana draws for sending out OOS acceptances. Luckily Dr. Kasberg is a great guy and said that I had a good shot at making it on the alternate list come March. I am trying to keep my hopes up, but I think for now I will try and prep my next cycle's application.

The thing is I have to sign up now for classes if I am going to take them. What should I do?

I'm sorry to hear that man...but I really hope you get into Indy. If I were you, I'd sign up for the classes just to be prepared, or to even get a spot in them. But Dr. Kasberg said that if you're on the waitlist, that you still have a pretty good shot at getting in...so that's good news!

EDIT: Also, I'd be careful about taking unnecessary bio classes...I mean, you have a GREAT GPA and you don't wanna mess that up if you don't need to (especially if you've graduated and have all the prereqs). But that's my opinion.

How about getting a research position at a lab? That way you can get paid while get tuition waved for being an employee of the university. I did that for two years.

Never give up... you're time will come and when it does, you will appreciate it all so much more!

Hey hoylematt, it's too early to lose hope and I think you have a great shot at UDM.

At one of my interivews, I met a guy from UDM undergrad and he told me that if you have an interview there, it means you're pretty much in.

I have interview there in December too and really excited to see the school :D:D

so, keep your hope and UDM is a great school and it is also one of my top choice school. I hope we can meet each other there next August :D

Good luck!

BTW, I'll withdraw my OOS spot at Indiana so there's another hope :thumbup:

Last edited:
I appreciate all the kind words. Keeping hopeful is the key in all this. Obviously I will give everything I have to my dream of being a dentist, and not being picked on "draft day" will not stop me from my goal! Congrats to everyone that recieved acceptances this cycle! I am so jealous! :D

I appreciate all the kind words. Keeping hopeful is the key in all this. Obviously I will give everything I have to my dream of being a dentist, and not being picked on "draft day" will not stop me from my goal! Congrats to everyone that recieved acceptances this cycle! I am so jealous! :D

Don't give up on this cycle yet, but I would caution you against getting a job in research unless you really enjoy it. I currently work in a lab and see people that come in either to 1. pad the resume for medical school, or 2. treat it as another job. They usually end up pretty unhappy.

If you enjoy research, then definitely go for it, plus it might be a great plan-B if dental school doesn't work out for you.

Well, if I know Matt correctly, he will not stop on his plan to fulfill his dream. He (and myself included) are both too hard-headed to take no for an answer. It seems sometimes like the more you want something...the harder it is to get it. I've seen a couple kids in my state that were using dental school as a plan-B for medical school get accepted already. It makes me sick because I've yet to even get an interview and I would do almost ANYTHING to get into dental school. Keep up the faith Matt, your numbers are way better than mine, you WILL get in this cycle!

Well, if I know Matt correctly, he will not stop on his plan to fulfill his dream. He (and myself included) are both too hard-headed to take no for an answer. It seems sometimes like the more you want something...the harder it is to get it. I've seen a couple kids in my state that were using dental school as a plan-B for medical school get accepted already. It makes me sick because I've yet to even get an interview and I would do almost ANYTHING to get into dental school. Keep up the faith Matt, your numbers are way better than mine, you WILL get in this cycle!

By reading your posts Chemboy, I just CAN'T believe how dental schools reject or waitlist you who has such a nice personality and ready to become a successful dentist.

Really hope you get in this cycle as well.

I would not hang up my hat just yet, we still have a while to go before it is all over. If I were you, I would try to call the school that rejected you and find out what went wrong. Trust me when I say it is not always numbers - living proof here. Good luck and I really hope that you can get in somewhere this cycle, preferably a program that was top on your list!

You know what man, we got this. Whether it's in a couple months, or next cycle we want it bad enough that we will be dentists someday. :thumbup:

I would not hang up my hat just yet, we still have a while to go before it is all over. If I were you, I would try to call the school that rejected you and find out what went wrong. Trust me when I say it is not always numbers - living proof here. Good luck and I really hope that you can get in somewhere this cycle, preferably a program that was top on your list!
Yeah I think I will give a call over to Nova and see what went wrong there. I felt so good in my interview that I really would like to know what happened. I think that may be the problem with their interview style: How can they differentiate between applicants when their interviews are so laid back? It seems that its wrong to say that the interview is the most important part of their application process when there is not much qualitative information to really discern between candidates? In reality it is my opinion that the more laid back the interview, the more that your stats play a factor than your interview.

Chin-up, Man! Its still so early! Don't lose hope! :luck:

Chin-up, Man! Its still so early! Don't lose hope! :luck:
Hoylematt, simply wanted to congratulate you on your future acceptance. I read a lot of your posts and your determination is so apparent. I will be praying for you, you will make it!

Hoylematt, simply wanted to congratulate you on your future acceptance. I read a lot of your posts and your determination is so apparent. I will be praying for you, you will make it!

Your GPA makes me want to hug you, while at the same time go back in time to when I was a freshman and slap myself in the face. I wish I would have been as determined as you are to excel in college. Congrats on the enormity of your success! How does it feel to have every program you applied to accept you? It's gotta be incredible! :woot:

hoylematt, you have better stats than i do. my app was completed last week of august and i still heard back from western in mid-october. i think you still have a shot and you probably just need to wait on post-dec interviews. many dental students still got in with post-dec interviews.

btw, is there a reason why you didn't apply to big schools? b/c those schools give out tons of interviews from jan-march.

Last edited:
have some faith in yourself! your stats are great you will definately get in! you still have another shot at UDM and like what was posted earlier, if you get an interview there then you're pretty much in!

last year i only had one interview for an alternate position and i get rejected but that didnt stop me! this year at my interviews my reapplying gave me a chance to show the schools that i didnt get discouraged and now im even more sure than ever that this is what i want and i will stop at nothing to get it!

dont worry about anything except rocking your UDM interview!!:)