The NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All....Merry Christmas!! My name is Anna, I'm a pre med...and had a question for those of you already in med school. Is anyone financing medical school through the National Health Services Corps??? I am debating NHSC vs. the Air Force...and am trying to get as much info on it as I can. IF there's anyone out there who can give me any info, I'd appreciate it. I haven't spoken to one person yet who knows someone who is involved with the NHSC. Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

AnnaB,
Go Army, Anna B all U can B :D

Sorry....not considering the Army. Just looking for someone who has any info on the NHSC who can help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anna,

I am doing the NHSC scholarship and I would recomend it,if working in an underserved area is what you really want to do. I think it would not be worth it for someone who does not have a great desire to do primary care in an undersrved area.

I have always wanted to go into medicine for that reason and I was so excited to get the scholarship. It has been great for me so far, and I am so excited about the opportunites I will have when I graduate and am doing my payback time.

I did the SEARCH program this summer and it was awesome, I had a great expereince and it re-affirmed with me why I wanted to go into medicine. What was also really great about the SEARCH program was that I got to shadow doctors who were doing the type of work that I hope to do when I graduate, it was great to see that it is possible. The doctor's I shadowed also seemed to have a great lifestyle and honestly seemed to really like their job. It was one of the friedliest clinics I have ever been in.

Personally, I never considered the armed forces. Unless you are only looking for a way to pay for school, I don't see the two scholarships as being very similar since the payback requirement is so different. I think the armed forces one may be easier to get, but that's just not a commitment that I could make, seeing as how I have never had any desire to join the armed forces. If joing the Airforce is something you want to do anyways and it is a lifestyle you would like to have, however,then it would probably be a good option for you. I know people who are on the Airforce scholarship and they really like it. I think the Airforce one pays for more books and other required items as well.

I hope this helps.

A-MAC,
Thanks for the info. I have always been interested in primary care/family medicine or internal medicine....never wanted to specialize. I'm interested in rural medicine especially. HOw competitive is it to get the scholarship and what criteria does the NHSC use to decide?? Also, how does one know where he/she will serve once residency is over??? Do you pick??..or are you assigned??? Thanks for any other info you can give me. Anna