The "No Way They Did/Said That" Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Do you like fish sticks?" (sounds like fish dicks).

"What are you a gay fish?"

This was a South Park gag on one of episodes.

Kanye West likes fish sticks. It's just "the greatest joke in the world".

Members don't see this ad.

At one particular program I had 3/5 interviewers told me straight up that they didn't look at my file at all. One guy said he did that because he didn't want 'to bias his opinion about me with all the numbers', then he proceeded to ask me what my board scores, grades, class ranking etc. were. Another guy asked me if I ‘happened to ever be involved in any research’ (only about 8 years worth of it…) I felt really silly answering that question. Yet another person found out what my boyfriend did for a living (which, of course, he was not supposes to ask me about to begin with) and spent the rest of the interview asking me question about that… It is a fine line between ‘not wanting to be biased’ and not caring enough. This program is one and only EM program in a very desirable place to live and I got an impression that they really thought they could get anyone they wanted without putting any effort into it. They fell from the very top to the very bottom of my list after the interview.

bam i am putting guitar as my #1 interest lol.

it is seriously been my dream since high-school to be put in an awkward situation where the only way out is to WAIL.

YES! :laugh:

My first thought was how awesomely I would have rocked that interview. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that applicants taking their dinners to go during interview social was just a joke. But, apparently, people actually do that. Needless to say, I was shocked.

bringing up the cell phone issue once again, i was at an interview this past week and one of the applicants whipped out his phone and was texting, etc during the EM chair's presentation and the pd's presentation in the morning. Just plain shocked.

One of the medicine attendings at my school likes telling a story about how she had an applicant fall asleep during her presentation - needless to say she was shocked. During the interview he offered no explanation. However later she found out from the program coordinator that the guy's wife gave birth that morning a few hours before the 'incident' - so, I guess there are rare extenuating circumstances for ‘rude’ behavior…. I imagine they are REALLY rare, though. Mostly people are just clueless…

I'm not even applying to EM, but I'll consider it, just to do this. I actually do play guitar, rather well. Did it professionally for 10 years before med school. I'd love to melt that smirk off his face. :D

I'm not applying in EM either, but I am in an A Capella group at school and several interviewers asked me to sing for them hahaha!

I did once.