The Numbers Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runindownadream

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that there is some sort of formula that schools use to attach a number to your application. Multiply your gpa by 10 and add your mcat score and that is your number. But once you pass some sort of "cut off" do might adcomms also add a certain number for EC's like volunteering, research, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

its sad...

someone from dumbsh1t university with 3.90 would get => 39.0 and + their 29 mcat would 68.0

someone from hard-as-sh1t university with a 3.20 would get => 32.0 + their 36 mcat would get 68.0

this equation system is inherently flawed because gpa is not standardized. hopefully they classify your ugrad in terms of difficulty and include that info in the equation..

So I understand that there is some sort of formula that schools use to attach a number to your application. Multiply your gpa by 10 and add your mcat score and that is your number. But once you pass some sort of "cut off" do might adcomms also add a certain number for EC's like volunteering, research, etc.?

Well, I don't believe all schools use cut-off formulae, and the one that you describe above is only a guideline.

Members don't see this ad :)
im sure u prolly get bonus points too if u go to like berekley or some other hardcore undergrad

Yeah, that seems to make sense. It also appears to be the luck of the draw of who reads your application. It doesn't seem plausible that more than one person would do the initial scan of an application. So if that first person doesn't particularly like you, it would be difficult to get into the school's good graces...ah well. It's a bit tiring to try to predict what might happen. I think it's time to start living by the motto of "que sera, sera," at least for the next few hours or however long I can keep it up ;)

its sad...

someone from dumbsh1t university with 3.90 would get => 39.0 and + their 29 mcat would 68.0

someone from hard-as-sh1t university with a 3.20 would get => 32.0 + their 36 mcat would get 68.0

this equation system is inherently flawed because gpa is not standardized. hopefully they classify your ugrad in terms of difficulty and include that info in the equation..

I do believe that they take the university you went to into consideration though... I could be wrong, but I believe they have some sort of chart to compare.

No one I know is doing a lot of addition and so forth but I think that mentally most application readers will give a 0.2 boost in gpa if the school/major is considered particularly difficult (engineering at Princeton was one former adcom member's favorite example). Once a student meets the minimum numbers for being considered for admission (and these numbers might be gpa -0.3 from the school's avg and each section of the MCAT -2 or -3 from the average) then the rest of the equation kicks in on a more qualitative basis. How does the essay look, the LORs, the ECs? Once the minimum academic requirements are met one can go up or down depending on how much above the minimum you performed academically and what else you bring to the table. If the whole package falls below the minimum, then out you go.

So while evaluating, the rep of your undergrad school doesn't REALLY matter? It's just about numbers?

Lizzy, is UCLA considered pretty good school?

So while evaluating, the rep of your undergrad school doesn't REALLY matter? It's just about numbers?

The school matters somewhat. A good gpa from a good school should come with a good MCAT. A good gpa from an unimpressive school should come with a fabulous MCAT.

is UCLA considered a pretty good school?

I have no idea. It is not one of the school's I'm assigned to review (at my school we review applications stratified geographically).

Many schools use this formula to screen who they want to send a secondary to. I think it is fair for them to base this decision solely on your MCAT and GPA. Especially since the threshold is usually set rather low. Later phases in the admission process use more advanced formulas which take into account your PS, EC, LOR, Secondaries, Interviews, etc. Of course, every school is different.

Sorry for the OT post, but, LizzyM, I love your avatar. It's one of my faves. :)