The numbers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwrays

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many have stated that between 1000-1100 positions are available each year in radiology. But how many US applicants apply each year in total, excluding FMG. Then what is the precentage of US applicants matching? I assume that this number is high(but again I only got in the 230's on my step 1, which in this forum is mediocre at best), especially if the trend continues of applying to mass number of programs.

Members don't see this ad.

match rate for US seniors is high 80s....230 is a solid score, you'll probably not get interviews at the elite programs, but if the rest of your app is solid you'll get interviews at plenty of strong programs.

midwrays said:
Many have stated that between 1000-1100 positions are (but again I only got in the 230's on my step 1, which in this forum is mediocre at best)
Only got in the 230's? C'mon, give yourself some credit. The advice I give to medical students is to ignore 99% of what they read on internet forums because they make people like you think they're not good enough for a specialty. Improve your app as a whole and enjoy your life in radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be very competitive with a 230 especially if the rest of your application is as strong. I wouldnt worry about it.

midwrays said:
Many have stated that between 1000-1100 positions are available each year in radiology. But how many US applicants apply each year in total, excluding FMG. Then what is the precentage of US applicants matching? I assume that this number is high(but again I only got in the 230's on my step 1, which in this forum is mediocre at best), especially if the trend continues of applying to mass number of programs.

230 is a solid score but it will not get you interviews at elite programs unless the rest of your application is outstanding. most applicants have at least 240 (many have 250+) with excellent applications. however as i have learned, radiology is regional. if there is a strong desire to be at a particular institution i suggest you do a rotation there - it will add much to your application. furthermore, be persistent when applying. i was granted interviews, that earlier was denied, after emailing/calling the pd and expressing my interest.

i agree with tigershark on this. unless you have something that sticks out on you app (i.e. AOA, MSTP, go to the best medical school, etc.) a 230 is a bit low for the top programs, and may be nearing a cut-off for the near-top programs.

i'm not trying to disagree that getting a spot in radiology has been a bit overblown.
but if you want a top program, or in the very desirable locations (i.e. cali), you'll be interviewing with some extremely strong candidates.
this is true even for the "non-competitive" specialities. getting into MGH medicine is WAAAY more harder than matching into a mid-tier radiology program.

if you just want to MATCH into radiology, it's not that hard at all, considering you didn't totally f*ck up. in my opinion, besides derm, rad-onc, plastics, it's not that hard to match into most specialities if your goal is just to MATCH. i know some non-stellar candidates that already early-matched in optho/uro/neurosurg at my institution. i mean, the average neurosurgery board score is 235 ish? you have a plenty strong enough board score for the average radiology program.

230 is pretty much the cut off for a lot of programs from what I hear... which is pretty discouraging for me.

what do you guys think of An Average Med Student from an Average Med School. An Average Step 1 score of 216, am studying to kick ass on Step 2. Straight A's In all the Anatomy/Histo/NeuroAnat/Neurosciences, Rest of med school Solid B avg. Clinical grades range from Satisfactory Pass up to Honors. Reasearch in Neurology creating Guidelines. Planning to begin Research in Radiology, even though id like to do community and non research based residency.
oh yes... My Wife is in the same class, we're couples matching, shes for Radiology 242 on Step 1, 6 mo of Radiology research at UCSF, SP- Honors on Clinicals.

With my scores i settled for Neurology... but i just got done with Radiology... And I was Created to be a Radiologist.. Im good at it. it comes easy to me. Id be willing to risk not matching this year to Reapply next year.. thats how badly i want it... wadda ya guys think?

well, this is something you are going to have to deal with your wife. as you obviously know, you'll be limiting her options for couples match if you do the radiology route. as a female with 242 and strong grades with research she'll be competitive at some real nice programs.

nuclearrabbit77 said:
well, this is something you are going to have to deal with your wife. as you obviously know, you'll be limiting her options for couples match if you do the radiology route. as a female with 242 and strong grades with research she'll be competitive at some real nice programs.

One of my friends got like 12 interviews in radiology (some at pretty good university programs) and his step I was only in the 190's. Maybe that will give you some hope.

My friend with a 255 Step I did NOT get an interview at Mallinckrodt and he was AOA.

I know someone with 261, AOA, statie, no MIR interview. I think you have to go to the right med school for that one.

wannaberad said:
I know someone with 261, AOA, statie, no MIR interview. I think you have to go to the right med school for that one.

You gotta have something that would indicate you might consider thinking about maybe possibly living in St. Louis.

I disagree. Wash U is a private institution. They don't give a damn if you are from Missouri and/or St. Louis. Rather, they are a top five research institution for Radiology. Thus, the key is to have AOA, 250+ Step 1, and PUBLISHED research. If you can only have 2 out of 3 it is Research and Step 1. A 250+ Step 1 and AOA doesn't show potential as a academic radiologist. Published research does show potential for an academic career.

For the top academic radiology programs it is essential to be a MUDPHUD or a medical student with publications. Even if you are MUDPHUD you still need strong step 1 scores.

Lastly, you may be lucky enough to have a MIR trained faculty from your medical school make a phone call for you to vouch for your potential as an academic radiologist That is the key.

He DID have publications, one first author.

ok, so mir seemed to have the least mysterious invite policy of all the top-tier institutions . . . people i know who got interviews were aoa, step 1 >> 240, significant research, letters from known radiologists, and a strong personal statement.

many applicants undervalue the essay portion, but nearly every interviewer at the many programs i visited brought it up. the mir selection chair--janice semenkovich--is an avid reader; the other candidates interviewed this year confirmed when we compared notes that she discussed each and every personal statement.

not to be too cheesy, but you need to show them why they want YOU in their program. many people have the stats, connections, research, etc . . . show them what makes you special.

mir acknowledges that they lose many of their top picks to more desirable locations, and does not (from what i can tell) weigh regionality heavily in selecting for interviews. i think it's just that a lot more midwesterners apply there.

on the note of connections, i had NO phone calls made on my behalf from alums or anyone else and have absolutely no ties to the midwest, but still got the ranked-to-match phone call from mallinckrodt . . . so don't despair that you aren't 'connected' . . . just do your best and the good things will come . . .

DrPunk said:
230 is pretty much the cut off for a lot of programs from what I hear... which is pretty discouraging for me.

what do you guys think of An Average Med Student from an Average Med School. An Average Step 1 score of 216, am studying to kick ass on Step 2. Straight A's In all the Anatomy/Histo/NeuroAnat/Neurosciences, Rest of med school Solid B avg. Clinical grades range from Satisfactory Pass up to Honors. Reasearch in Neurology creating Guidelines. Planning to begin Research in Radiology, even though id like to do community and non research based residency.
oh yes... My Wife is in the same class, we're couples matching, shes for Radiology 242 on Step 1, 6 mo of Radiology research at UCSF, SP- Honors on Clinicals.

With my scores i settled for Neurology... but i just got done with Radiology... And I was Created to be a Radiologist.. Im good at it. it comes easy to me. Id be willing to risk not matching this year to Reapply next year.. thats how badly i want it... wadda ya guys think?

if you interview reasonably well, i see no reason that you will not match into a solid radiology program. as another poster noted, however, your wife is in a position to break into the super-elite programs (if she so desires). if she is serious about research/academics and wants to hit up the top tier, you may want to consider focusing your applications on cities with multiple residency programs in different tiers (eg. nyc, boston, chicago, etc. etc.) to best accomodate you both. best of luck to you!

Thanks for the honest opinions.. and encouraging ones too. Im going in 100%, we'll find out this time next year.

As for limiting my wife by couples matching with her... i hope not, otherwise i wouldnt be doing couples match.

My understanding is You pick the strongest student of the two of you... Then She lists her, lets say top 4 choices... i.e 1. UCSF, 2. UC Davis, 3. U of Chicago, 4. WashU, etc....

based on her choices i make a seperate List for Each one of her choices. So where ever she matches it affects changes my Rank List favorable to that Region... Etc. The Following is only an Example.

Her
1. UCSF
ME
1. AVG Oakland program
2. AVG San Francisco Program
3. AVG Chicago program
4. Safety School- my school
5. Go UnMatched- Apply for Research in UCSF Area

HER
2. UC Davis
ME
1. AVG Oakland program
2. AVG San Francisco Program
3. AVG Chicago program
4. Safety School- my school
5. Go UnMatched- Apply for Research in UC-Davis Area

Her
3. U of Chicago
ME
1. AVG Chicago program
2. Saftey School- my school
3. AVG San Francisco Pgm
4. AVG- Oakland Pgm
5. Go UnMatched- Apply for Research in Chicago

HER
4. Wash U
ME
1. Safety School- my school
2. AVG Chicago program
3. AVG San Francisco Pgm
4. AVG- Oakland Pgm
5. Go UnMatched- Apply for Research in St Louis

p53 said:
I disagree. Wash U is a private institution. They don't give a damn if you are from Missouri and/or St. Louis. Rather, they are a top five research institution for Radiology. Thus, the key is to have AOA, 250+ Step 1, and PUBLISHED research. If you can only have 2 out of 3 it is Research and Step 1. A 250+ Step 1 and AOA doesn't show potential as a academic radiologist. Published research does show potential for an academic career.

For the top academic radiology programs it is essential to be a MUDPHUD or a medical student with publications. Even if you are MUDPHUD you still need strong step 1 scores.

Lastly, you may be lucky enough to have a MIR trained faculty from your medical school make a phone call for you to vouch for your potential as an academic radiologist That is the key.

I didnt say you had to be from Missouri/St. Louis, just that it had to be plausible for you to move there.

I interviewed at all the big guns (MGH, BWH, Penn, Hopkins etc.) and hardly anyone I interviewed with was ranking MIR near the top of the list, mainly due to location. MIR is great and all, but historically they do not get the top candidates due to location.

midwrays said:

YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU APPLY! Just apply and see what happens...if it doesnt work out, do something else.

Other people's opinions are just that, OPINIONS.....you'll never know for sure unless you apply. Go for it!