The Official 04/13/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jevo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time we had an official thread, seeing how our mcat is less than a month away.

I'm getting ready for my first practice test on Saturday or Sunday. How is everyone else coming along?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably retaking due to Kaplan practice scoes of 36 and 41 then actual results were 31Q - Verbal 12, Physio 10 and Bio 9. Disappointing. Thought the bio was ridiculous. Thinking about a retake but have 3.7 GPA, strong resume and at top 25 undergrad school. Chances of getting into top 10 MD program?

I think you could do better. The 9 in bio doesn't look great for top 10 school prospects but I don't think your score is bad by any means. I wouldn't put too much weight in Kaplan tests (good practice but I don't think the scores mean much). Did you do AAMC practice tests?

Probably retaking due to Kaplan practice scoes of 36 and 41 then actual results were 31Q - Verbal 12, Physio 10 and Bio 9. Disappointing. Thought the bio was ridiculous. Thinking about a retake but have 3.7 GPA, strong resume and at top 25 undergrad school. Chances of getting into top 10 MD program?

You're going to need > 35 and even then it's a crap shoot. Unless you're URM 3.7/31 (BS 9) will definitely without a doubt not get you into top 25. LizzyM stated that even a 34 is on the lower side for top-tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I read this post, it breaks my heart :(

Sorry for being A Debbie Downer. :( I just honestly tried so hard. I've had a lot of family stuff to deal with lately so I did the best I could under the circumstances. I'm not giving up though!

I was getting a steady stream of 35s on the AAMC practice tests but I ended up with a 32P. It's very disappointing to find myself three points lower than I expected, especially since my GPA is terrible.

11PS, 11VR, 10BS and I don't even know why my scores took a dive. Everything was about a point lower than my averages.

You're going to need > 35 and even then it's a crap shoot. Unless you're URM 3.7/31 (BS 9) will definitely without a doubt not get you into top 25. LizzyM stated that even a 34 is on the lower side for top-tier schools.

I don't think that's true. I had a 33N & 3.8 gpa last cycle and I interviewed at 2 top ten schools. Granted, I didn't get in (I'm still waitlisted at one), but it's definitely feasible to get in with less than 35. For the record, I'm not a URM. My best advice is that you better write an amazing personal statement and submit early if you're going to apply with slightly lower stats. Those are two things that I think would have improved my chances of getting more top tier interviews had I had a little more foresight.

I don't think that's true. I had a 33N & 3.8 gpa last cycle and I interviewed at 2 top ten schools. Granted, I didn't get in (I'm still waitlisted at one), but it's definitely feasible to get in with less than 35. For the record, I'm not a URM. My best advice is that you better write an amazing personal statement and submit early if you're going to apply with slightly lower stats. Those are two things that I think would have improved my chances of getting more top tier interviews had I had a little more foresight.

33 is 90 percentile and 31 is approximately 80 percentile I think thats a significant difference. Again I'm not experienced with top-tier medical schools at all and should just remain quiet but my understanding was that around 34 and above is pretty good for top-tier and I guess 33 is close enough. Either way good luck to the original poster, I hope he gets in with a 31 but I didn't want to provide any false hope so I was being cautious.

33 is 90 percentile and 31 is approximately 80 percentile I think thats a significant difference. Again I'm not experienced with top-tier medical schools at all and should just remain quiet but my understanding was that around 34 and above is pretty good for top-tier and I guess 33 is close enough. Either way good luck to the original poster, I hope he gets in with a 31 but I didn't want to provide any false hope so I was being cautious.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I agree that it is a bit of a long shot, but it's definitely somewhere within the realm of possibility.

You guys have amazing scores. Congrats to all of you for crossing such a big milestone.

Off topic, but flodhi1, you have an almost identical MCAT score to mine. I just read your mdapps and wanted to say thanks for all of the useful info included in there. It's a must read if anyone hasn't read it yet.

I haven't posted my score yet, but I'll post it now:

29M
12PS
8VR
9BS

36R (12 PS / 12 VR / 12 BS), AAMC average of about 36.

Surprised more people aren't posting in this thread. Either a lot of people found the significance of the test date inauspicious or a lot of people are playing Diablo 3...

Consider the audience of this thread, though. Who is more likely to visit an online support thread about taking the MCAT, those who feel they will do well, or those who won't? That, combined with the fact that even a 28 is 70th percentile, suggests it's reasonable to assume that most people are getting significantly lower scores than those being posted here. It's likely people aren't posting because they're embarrassed of their score. Not everyone scores in the 96th percentile, my friend.

Kaplan Practice Tests: 26, 28, 32, 37, 37
AAMC practice test (#3): 32

BS: 12
PS: 12
VR: 11
Writing: R
Total: 35R

Off topic, but flodhi1, you have an almost identical MCAT score to mine. I just read your mdapps and wanted to say thanks for all of the useful info included in there. It's a must read if anyone hasn't read it yet.

I haven't posted my score yet, but I'll post it now:

29M
12PS
8VR
9BS

Your score is actually slightly better, you're most likely not going to get screened out since all your sections pass the cut off. Thanks for your feedback I hope it helps you in your application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your score is actually slightly better, you're most likely not going to get screened out since all your sections pass the cut off. Thanks for your feedback I hope it helps you in your application cycle!

Re-taker here. Last year I took the MCAT and got a 28N (10 PS / 7 VR / 11 BS). This time I got a 35Q (13 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS). Improvement is possible! though I honestly didn't think I would improve that much, must have had my game face on that day. In retrospect, I don't think any of the practice tests can really prepare you for the real thing. You'll never see the same question twice, much better off understanding concepts and being able to apply them to new/weird/confusing situations.

31 is not average. Average mcat for an applicant is a 28. My friend had a 3.4 cGPA(he backed it up with a 3.96 sGPA tho) because he tanked his first degree then decided to go back into medicine. He's gotten into 5 med schools already and he got a 32 on his mcat. A good mcat score will work wonders. As long as the rest of your app is strong you shouldn't have to much of an issue as long as ur gpa isn't THAT horrible.
31 is average for matriculants, which is all that matters.

Re-taker here. Last year I took the MCAT and got a 28N (10 PS / 7 VR / 11 BS). This time I got a 35Q (13 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS). Improvement is possible! though I honestly didn't think I would improve that much, must have had my game face on that day. In retrospect, I don't think any of the practice tests can really prepare you for the real thing. You'll never see the same question twice, much better off understanding concepts and being able to apply them to new/weird/confusing situations.

Amazing improvement! :thumbup:

31 is average for matriculants, which is all that matters.

Looking at an average for all schools is slightly pointless. If you consider the fact that you have med schools that don't accept anyone with less than a 38 (possibly a slight exaggeration) and you have schools that will accept people with a 26, of course you're going to end up with an average somewhere in between. Telling someone with a 28 that they can't get in anywhere is completely inaccurate. If you look at the big picture, averages really mean very little

And a 31 mcat is average for matriculants and above average for mcat test takers. The fact that it's an above average score is why people get into med school. Average scores don't get in, above average ones do. Calling a 31 an average score isnt an accurate statement, a 28 is average for people that apply, people get accepted with an average of a 31 because those people are ABOVE average

Looking at an average for all schools is slightly pointless. If you consider the fact that you have med schools that don't accept anyone with less than a 38 (possibly a slight exaggeration) and you have schools that will accept people with a 26, of course you're going to end up with an average somewhere in between.
Without a list of specific schools, looking at an overall average is in fact a viable option. Very few schools lie at either end of the spectrum (having very very high MCAT averages or very very low ones) and thus the majority of schools are somewhere in the middle. For this majority of schools, the MCAT score ranges can be approximated by an average across all schools.
Telling someone with a 28 that they can't get in anywhere is completely inaccurate.
Who said anything like this? In fact, such a statement would be refuted by considering the matriculant average of ~31.
If you look at the big picture, averages really mean very little
The funny thing about this is that if you really believed it, I'm not sure why you would have mentioned an applicant average earlier at all...
And a 31 mcat is average for matriculants and above average for mcat test takers. The fact that it's an above average score is why people get into med school. Average scores don't get in, above average ones do.
Indeed, the average for test takers is about 24-25.
Calling a 31 an average score isnt an accurate statement,
Calling a 31 an average score, both in relation to matriculants and in the context of competitiveness for medical school, is indeed an accurate statement. Averages are all relative to the population being examined, so while a 27 is an above-average score for test takers, this fact is irrelevant to a prospective applicant because that population is not the one the person is to be compared against.
a 28 is average for people that apply, people get accepted with an average of a 31 because those people are ABOVE average
In the same way, saying that a 29 is an above average score for applicants (for which the total population average is 28) is true but also irrelevant, because a prospective applicant wants to be in the minority of the population that actually get in. For this minority, the average score is a 31.

Consider it like this: If I score a 28 on the MCAT, I am an average applicant in this respect. The average applicant does not get accepted to medical school. Because of this, comparison of myself to the applicant pool at large is useless.

With limited seats, the competition is such that an applicant's score is effectively compared only against those other applicants that are seriously considered for acceptance.

Comparing one's score against a population not representative of the group one will be compared against is flawed. A 31 is average in the context of admissions. End of story.

Without a list of specific schools, looking at an overall average is in fact a viable option. Very few schools lie at either end of the spectrum (having very very high MCAT averages or very very low ones) and thus the majority of schools are somewhere in the middle. For this majority of schools, the MCAT score ranges can be approximated by an average across all schools.

Who said anything like this? In fact, such a statement would be refuted by considering the matriculant average of ~31.

The funny thing about this is that if you really believed it, I'm not sure why you would have mentioned an applicant average earlier at all...

Indeed, the average for test takers is about 24-25.

Calling a 31 an average score, both in relation to matriculants and in the context of competitiveness for medical school, is indeed an accurate statement. Averages are all relative to the population being examined, so while a 27 is an above-average score for test takers, this fact is irrelevant to a prospective applicant because that population is not the one the person is to be compared against.

In the same way, saying that a 29 is an above average score for applicants (for which the total population average is 28) is true but also irrelevant, because a prospective applicant wants to be in the minority of the population that actually get in. For this minority, the average score is a 31.

Consider it like this: If I score a 28 on the MCAT, I am an average applicant in this respect. The average applicant does not get accepted to medical school. Because of this, comparison of myself to the applicant pool at large is useless.

With limited seats, the competition is such that an applicant's score is effectively compared only against those other applicants that are seriously considered for acceptance.

Comparing one's score against a population not representative of the group one will be compared against is flawed. A 31 is average in the context of admissions. End of story.

Youre right amd i see where youre coming from however the point is that someone with a 31S on their mcat should not be discouraged from applying because they are not average for applicants, theyre average for matriculants. If you have a 31 and a 31 is average its save to say that you have a decent shot at getting into a med school which is what he was worried about. If your concern is wether or not youre going to get in, your concern would be wether or not youre above average for applicants not matruculants. You want to have a score higher than the other people you are going up against and if in fact the average applicant has a score of a 27 you are considered an above average applicant and thus have a better chance of getting in than the average applicant. Thats the point i was trying to make. I dont think comparing averages useful in the sense that hearing a statement like "the average acceptance mcat score is a 31" may deter a candidate with a 28/29/30 from applying at all when in fact they still have a chance at acceptance. I see where youre coming from but my point was simply that someone eith a 31 should hardly think less of themselves for it. A 31 is an honorable score on the mcat and something that anyone should be proud of. I also think that someone with a 29 and excellent activites to speak of and an excellent gpa would be equally considered to someone with moderate activities and a lower gpa with a 31. Thus solely looking at mcat averages isnt wholly useful in and of itself.

Last edited:
Youre right amd i see where youre coming from however the point is that someone with a 31S on their mcat should not be discouraged from applying because they are not average for applicants, theyre average for matriculants. If you have a 31 and a 31 is average its save to say that you have a decent shot at getting into a med school which is what he was worried about. If your concern is wether or not youre going to get in, your concern would be wether or not youre above average for applicants not matruculants. You want to have a score higher than the other people you are going up against and if in fact the average applicant has a score of a 27 you are considered an above average applicant and thus have a better chance of getting in than the average applicant. Thats the point i was trying to make. I dont think comparing averages useful in the sense that hearing a statement like "the average acceptance mcat score is a 31" may deter a candidate with a 28/29/30 from applying at all when in fact they still have a chance at acceptance. I see where youre coming from but my point was simply that someone eith a 31 should hardly think less of themselves for it. A 31 is an honorable score on the mcat and something that anyone should be proud of. I also think that someone with a 29 and excellent activites to speak of and an excellent gpa would be equally considered to someone with moderate activities and a lower gpa with a 31. Thus solely looking at mcat averages isnt wholly useful in and of itself.
Oh, I definitely agree. A 31 is definitely good enough to apply with; being average amongst those that succeed is indication of a very good chance of success. My point about comparing to applicants is that just being "above average" among applicants, when most applicants are rejected, is not a good enough indicator of chance of success because the point in the spectrum where your chance of success is greater than failure isn't apparent. Without knowing the average matriculant score, above average for applicants could be a good indicator of chance of success or not (imagine a scenario where 10% of applicants are accepted; here the range of "above average" for applicants is wide, and not in itself a good indicator of chance of success.) That was my point about comparing to matriculants and only matriculants.

You also have a good point though, that applicants should take care to realize that being average among matriculants does in fact make one an above average applicant, as falling around the center of the pack of those who succeed puts one in a good position to join them.

I'm taking this beast on the 24th, so I've got a few days of solid studying. Since you all have taken the test and gotten scores back--what kind of tips do you have for those that are about to take it? I consider physical sciences, and specifically gen. chem., a weakness so any specific advice on how to approach PS would be appreciated!

11PS
12V
9BS
32N

To be honest, I was initially disappointed with this score because of SDN. Then I realized that SDN isn't real life and that I was in the 85th+ percentile, so I'm content with my score. I've slain this beast, which isn't bad for 3 months of independent MCAT studying.

11PS
12V
9BS
32N

To be honest, I was initially disappointed with this score because of SDN. Then I realized that SDN isn't real life and that I was in the 85th+ percentile, so I'm content with my score. I've slain this beast, which isn't bad for 3 months of independent MCAT studying.

You did great, man. Congrats :thumbup: