The Official 07/30/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw someone JUST made a official August 6 MCAT club, and I thought, where's July 30, 2009? So, I made one! :thumbup: Unless... I missed it somewhere... :confused:

I haven't started studying yet, but I will when final exams are over (this Thursday)!! :D :)

Members don't see this ad.

best of luck with your exam!

I have a quick question. I'm applying to med school this cycle (matriculating in 2010). My old MCAT score expired, so I need to retake it. Can I take it on the July 30th date? Or do you think that'd be too late. I heard somewhere that the latest that I can take it is July.. but I'm not sure when in July, and I can't seem to find any answers online.

Please help. Thanks!

best of luck with your exam!

I have a quick question. I'm applying to med school this cycle (matriculating in 2010). My old MCAT score expired, so I need to retake it. Can I take it on the July 30th date? Or do you think that'd be too late. I heard somewhere that the latest that I can take it is July.. but I'm not sure when in July, and I can't seem to find any answers online.

Please help. Thanks!
Hi there,

It depends on the school, but July is still very early in my opinion. Many interviews aren't even until August.

If anything, contact the schools you are interested in and ask what is the latest MCAT they will accept. MOST schools accept MCATs up until Fall (September). The schools I'm applying for have late application deadlines which are in February 2010. So, it all depends on your school and their deadlines and such.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone =)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, but it sure seems like it. :) I orginally wanted to take mine 6/18 too. Where are you taking your test? I'm in Houston. I still haven't taken a full-length yet... been using EK as my only study source.

Well...looks like this is my new home after voiding the 6/18 test:oops:

Anyone who has questions about the real deal should message me...Its still very fresh in my head.

A word of wisdom to you all: Be afraid but only let it motivate you. It's as hard as they say. The curve HAS TO be much nicer than the aamc's.

Anyone who has questions about the real deal should message me...Its still very fresh in my head.

A word of wisdom to you all: Be afraid but only let it motivate you. It's as hard as they say. The curve HAS TO be much nicer than the aamc's.

Hi Alaska21 :)

ANY TIPS? He he he. :D
Reading the 6/18 thread made me shiver half to death. :scared:

I'm studying with EK complete package right now, along with the Bio 1001 and Verb 101 books. Not doing so hot on the in-class exams and the 1001/101 books, which discourages me and makes me think I will only get lower on the real deal. :( Is it bad that my goal for the MCAT is at least a 25?

Hi Alaska21 :)

ANY TIPS? He he he. :D
Reading the 6/18 thread made me shiver half to death. :scared:

I'm studying with EK complete package right now, along with the Bio 1001 and Verb 101 books. Not doing so hot on the in-class exams and the 1001/101 books, which discourages me and makes me think I will only get lower on the real deal. :( Is it bad that my goal for the MCAT is at least a 25?

Well 25 is aiming low BUT realize a 25+ can get you in DO school...and hey man a doctor is a doctor regardless of its an MD or a DO.

Aim for a 30- you can do it! My goal is 30 but if I get like 27-29 I know I can go D.O at least.

I'll post tips later, got a busy day!

Well 37 days to go. Seems like a life time to me considering I just took it.

Tips:

-Learn your o-chem...you may get up to 25 questions. Be ready cause if you know it you can literally get a 13+ on the bio...

-Know your physics 2. The odds of getting a test heavy in optics, electricity, waves, etc, is very high. All my friends had exams heavy in this. I think they like to test it more since people tend to suck at it. Expect it. Know it. Kill it!

-Be able to read extremely long verbal passages. I don't care if the font is bigger on the real thing or w/e...the passages are absolutely longer. It feels wrong. They won't be hard passages..but the length killed me. Read everyday.

-Don't overdo the little specifics in bio..its mainly analysis. Being a bio major makes me bias on this issue though...

-Realize the curve has to be bigger. The real thing is harder...people who say otherwise are trying to show off.

-Finally: THE TEST IS DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU WASTE TIME! Yes...they make it so you spend time stumbling and wasting precious time on meaningless details. Don't fall into this trap. I wasted 11 mins on the first PS passage.

We all can do this. I'm convinced I had a 30+ if it weren't for not finishing verbal.

Tips:

-Learn your o-chem...you may get up to 25 questions. Be ready cause if you know it you can literally get a 13+ on the bio...

-Know your physics 2. The odds of getting a test heavy in optics, electricity, waves, etc, is very high. All my friends had exams heavy in this. I think they like to test it more since people tend to suck at it. Expect it. Know it. Kill it!

-Be able to read extremely long verbal passages. I don't care if the font is bigger on the real thing or w/e...the passages are absolutely longer. It feels wrong. They won't be hard passages..but the length killed me. Read everyday.

-Don't overdo the little specifics in bio..its mainly analysis. Being a bio major makes me bias on this issue though...

-Realize the curve has to be bigger. The real thing is harder...people who say otherwise are trying to show off.

-Finally: THE TEST IS DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU WASTE TIME! Yes...they make it so you spend time stumbling and wasting precious time on meaningless details. Don't fall into this trap. I wasted 11 mins on the first PS passage.

We all can do this. I'm convinced I had a 30+ if it weren't for not finishing verbal.
Hi!!

Thanks Alaska21 for all the great info. and tips!!

I'll be taking the MCAT before I take Physic 2, so now I know I should kill it. Same goes with Orgo 2... and Verbal is probably my biggest weakness. I need to read faster and more effectively.

You're right, we ALL can get a 30+. We just need to work at it. So, I'm hoping for the best for all of us! :) Work hard!!

Hi Alaska21,
I took 6/18 and voided as well :oops:
It seemed like you took Kaplan FL... Were they helpful? I am looking for more passages and tests to practice with. Which tests are you thinking of using?
Good luck on your studies!!

Hey Alaska, i also took the June 18th MCAT and I also thought the verbal was brutal... the passages were longer and IMO boring than the ones on the practice... I chose not to void and regret it a little bit... I felt the PS was easy (I've a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering) and the 8AM administration played to my strengths... but the VR and BS were not easy; I've never not completed both sections.... but struggled to complete them during the actual MCAT. And yes, I'm one of those neurotic pre-med students who immediately signed up for the July 30th MCAT just in case I didnt do too well... your posts on the 6/18 section helped me a lot and good luck on the upcoming MCAT - I expect to see you post a >35 composite score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle. I already took the MCAT once and already submitted my primary. I need to retake MCAT, will July 30th be too late for this cycle? I don't feel ready for the Jul 17th one.

Welcome :) haha, we both ended up here from June 18th (except I didn't take the test).

Tips:

LOL! Right on man! I think that's going to be my new signature from now on :laugh:

I am applying this cycle. I already took the MCAT once and already submitted my primary. I need to retake MCAT, will July 30th be too late for this cycle? I don't feel ready for the Jul 17th one.

It's not terribly late.

LOL i love your new signature!! Hehehe.

Well, I'm agreeing with pookiez88, July 30th is not too late.

Right on. Check out the May 22nd MCAT thread, a lot of people did well, I'm TELLING YOU there's a huge curve on the real deal lol.

What's everyone's back up plan? Are you guys going to sign up for a retake in August if you feel like you didn't do well? I honestly don't want to rush it and risk things...if I feel that I didn't do well in July, then retaking in August seems to soon (and not that much time either) to do well...what do you guys think?

Tips:

I'm retaking too--I think you hit the nail on the head with your advice. LOOOOOOOONNNNG verbal, lots of organic.

UGHSKJDFH why the organic chem? I actually am decent with it but i HATE it. I think studying for organic chemistry is so boring. Come to think of it, I hate verbal studying for verbal too.

sigh. probably why i'm retaking.

I'm retaking too--I think you hit the nail on the head with your advice. LOOOOOOOONNNNG verbal, lots of organic.

UGHSKJDFH why the organic chem? I actually am decent with it but i HATE it. I think studying for organic chemistry is so boring. Come to think of it, I hate verbal studying for verbal too.

sigh. probably why i'm retaking.

:eek: How can you say its boring!? I LOVE O-Chem. But since you hate it, lets hope we have different test versions, yours being the one riddled with lots of bio, and mine containing mostly o-chem passages/questions (I'm going to pray for mine to have just that) lol :)

And does anyone have any idea as to why my signature disappears only when I post in this thread? :confused:

What's everyone's back up plan? Are you guys going to sign up for a retake in August if you feel like you didn't do well? I honestly don't want to rush it and risk things...if I feel that I didn't do well in July, then retaking in August seems to soon (and not that much time either) to do well...what do you guys think?
I promised myself I won't void the July 30 one. So, I'm not going to retake it. I'm going to MAKE SURE I am ready for JULY 30. Let's all MAKE SURE we are ready so we never have to take this thing again! :)

I promised myself I won't void the July 30 one. So, I'm not going to retake it. I'm going to MAKE SURE I am ready for JULY 30. Let's all MAKE SURE we are ready so we never have to take this thing again! :)

I agree with you guys...lets smoke it; I'm still trying to take a week off from the other one I took (6/18/09), but I find myself picking up the books and cant drop it... i feel like I'm addicted to the MCAT - sorta like a love/hate relationship.

I agree with you guys...lets smoke it; I'm still trying to take a week off from the other one I took (6/18/09), but I find myself picking up the books and cant drop it... i feel like I'm addicted to the MCAT - sorta like a love/hate relationship.
Haha I feel you.... that's what happening with me and my EK books. One moment you don't want to let 'em go, then next you want to tear them into pieces. :)

Just study hard, and we'll never have to take this thing ever again! The thought sounds really nice.

Anyone else getting a bit freaked out by the 5/22 thread? A lot of people didn't get scores around their average...lots of unbalanced scores..idk. I need to get banned from SDN until my MCAT so I would stop coming here and freaking myself out, LOL.

Anyone else getting a bit freaked out by the 5/22 thread? A lot of people didn't get scores around their average...lots of unbalanced scores..idk. I need to get banned from SDN until my MCAT so I would stop coming here and freaking myself out, LOL.
Haha yea i read that thread too and a little freaked out! A lot of the score people got were not of there averages.... but I still thought their real MCAT score were decent/good.

It's like SDN is my new best friend or my next addiction Ha ha ha. Lets look at that thread as a motivator for us....Make sure we get really good scores on those aamc practice tests so a little under score on the real thing won't make us feel bad. :)

Guys remember that the regardless of how easy or difficult an MCAT test is; it will always be graded on a curve... so the ease or difficulty of a particular exam shouldnt really affect your score if you become balanced on all sections of the exams... and dont blow your nerves on the actual MCAT.

If you are well prepared and ready for the real deal.... you should be able to get about your averages (not much higher or lower)... because that's your true ability.

If you get higher, you are smarter than you know you are... and are lucky they didnt test that section you always blew on the practice... and if you got lower than your practice, the test was heavy with precisely that section you werent prepared for... anyways... good luck guys on the next exam.

Has anybody filled out AMCAS application yet for this cycle. Since the mcat is on july 30th , is anybody filling out the application?? Please post about the status. I filled out mine yesterday..just wanted to know whose in the same boat...lol

Hi Y'all!
I recently discorvered SDF and now I am strangely drawn to it. I see why so many people say it is addictive.

Here is my progress:
I just completed the ExamKrackers 1H Test today.
PS: 9
V: 10
B: 7

I feel ok about my scores considering I now have a month to seriously study. Also, I rushed through all the sections. I had 10-20 extra minutes left in each section at the end.

I will be happy as long as I break 30 on the real thing. Of course, my goal is 45.

My plan is to take a practice test every weekend. And read, read, read in between. I hear taking as many practice problems as possible is the way to go.

I am really feeling the crunch now that it is just a month away.

I also was originally going to sign up for June 18. I am so glad I didn't.

I have the EK books, hyperlearning books, and many others. I keep deliberating about getting Audio Osmosis off of craigslist.

I am not 100% confident that I will get into Med school since I am a non-traditional student. My back up plan is PA school. I live in Texas, so that means I have 3 application processes. I have mostly filled out the applications minus the essay. I am putting that onhold till August. I figure it takes time from when I take the MCAT till I get the score, so I can focus then on my personal statement. I have ideas right now. I also have to take the GRE. My plan is August for that, too.

Ttys!

Hi Y'all!
I recently discorvered SDF and now I am strangely drawn to it. I see why so many people say it is addictive.

Here is my progress:
I just completed the ExamKrackers 1H Test today.
PS: 9
V: 10
B: 7

I feel ok about my scores considering I now have a month to seriously study. Also, I rushed through all the sections. I had 10-20 extra minutes left in each section at the end.

I will be happy as long as I break 30 on the real thing. Of course, my goal is 45.

My plan is to take a practice test every weekend. And read, read, read in between. I hear taking as many practice problems as possible is the way to go.

I am really feeling the crunch now that it is just a month away.

I also was originally going to sign up for June 18. I am so glad I didn't.

I have the EK books, hyperlearning books, and many others. I keep deliberating about getting Audio Osmosis off of craigslist.

I am not 100% confident that I will get into Med school since I am a non-traditional student. My back up plan is PA school. I live in Texas, so that means I have 3 application processes. I have mostly filled out the applications minus the essay. I am putting that onhold till August. I figure it takes time from when I take the MCAT till I get the score, so I can focus then on my personal statement. I have ideas right now. I also have to take the GRE. My plan is August for that, too.

Ttys!
I think your MCAT score on EK are really good considering there's 1 month left and its an EK EXAM!! EK exams are suppose to be muchhh harder than the AAMC ones.

I haven't taken any exams yet... but I did take Kaplan free practice as a free event a while back... got an 8... total... hahah. I know, it sounds ridiculous. But I didn't take any physics classes or orgo 2 yet at the time. And I fell asleep during Verbal. :)

That's amazing that you're taking two standardized tests in a months span! I saw some GRE practice questions, and they are soo different than MCAT, I think.

Well, hope everyone is doing great with their studies! :)

Last edited:
I think your MCAT score on EK are really good considering there's 1 month left and its an EK EXAM!! EK exams are suppose to be muchhh harder than the AAMC ones.

I haven't taken any exams yet... but I did take Kaplan free practice as a free event a while back... got an 8... total... hahah. I know, it sounds ridiculous. But I didn't take any physics classes or orgo 2 yet at the time. And I fell asleep during Verbal. :)

That's amazing that you're taking two standardized tests in a months span! I saw some GRE practice questions, and they are soo different than MCAT, I think.

Well, hope everyone is doing great with their studies! :)

Your avatar always makes me hungry for a burger, lol.

I will be taking it in Livonia, MI near Detroit. And I have been studying for a while now. It has been quite some time since I have had pre-med courses, but I will be ready in 30 days. No Problem.

I probably have some of you to blame for eating the MI slots up; I need the afternoon start badly, so I'll be driving down to Toledo for it.

Starting studying last weekend or so (I'm currently on a work-term from school, so I work 60 hrs/week as an engineer), and I return to 24 credits of school in about five days. So I'm using this week off and hitting the EK books hard for my weakest areas - organic/inorganic chem.

I'm an electrical and computer engineering major; for some reason, I do quite well in biology (memorization!), but chemistry owns me. I laugh often in the face of physics though, especially E&M ;)

I probably have some of you to blame for eating the MI slots up; I need the afternoon start badly, so I'll be driving down to Toledo for it.

Starting studying last weekend or so (I'm currently on a work-term from school, so I work 60 hrs/week as an engineer), and I return to 24 credits of school in about five days. So I'm using this week off and hitting the EK books hard for my weakest areas - organic/inorganic chem.

I'm an electrical and computer engineering major; for some reason, I do quite well in biology (memorization!), but chemistry owns me. I laugh often in the face of physics though, especially E&M ;)

I agree, I wanted to take it in MI but I'm on my way down to Maumee, OH... Oh well...

I am taking it in Akron. how's everyone's studying going???

I am taking it in Akron. how's everyone's studying going???

F--- terrible. I know my physics backwards and forwards, my bio with the exception of populations quite well (and I'm brushing up on the macrobiology), but both chemistrys are kicking my ass. I didn't do very well in those courses in school either.

/me has a strong dislike for iso/conform/enant/diastero - mers

I am not a morning person. I am so happy they offer afternoon tests. This is the earliest one after the June 18 test.

My new plan for this week or so is to go through my A and P with the MCAT outline on hand. Then read the section in EK Bio. It seems to be working so far. 2 days in and I have gone through 8 chapters. The tissue chapter seemed especially relevant for getting the conceptual idea.

Hey guyss... how is everyone's studying going?

I was wondering, do any of you have tips for those extremely boring or complex verbal passages.. you know the ones where they talk about sand storms and dust or really complex humanities sort that you get lost in by the second paragraph... do any of you have strategies for how to get through those/ understand them/ Stay Focused??? Or do you usually skim the paragraph and reread parts as needed?
Those always get me and I am trying to figure out how I can keep myself from zoning out or atleast get to the point where I understand the main idea..

Studying Update:
So Today I did the PS section of the free AAMC test.
Score: 10
I learned something. I only missed 2 od rhw physics questions and 9 of the Chem. I thought Physics was my weakness, and that the Chem was easy.. The stuff I missed is stuff that I haven't really gone over yet. So, I have more hope of improving my score. I also feel confidence that I can do a Ten (my minimum in my mind).

I printed out the outline from the website of all the topics that I need to know. That makes me feel better, too. As I study, I kinda mentally check of the things I cover.

I found out after the free test that there are a whole bunch of writing samples and scoring analysis on e-mcat.com. I plan on going through all of them. The one that got the top score on the first one looked like it was following a pattern.

Time really feels like it is ticking by.

I am up to date with going through A and P. I have gone through half my textbook this week. Next week the other half. I can't find my EK Orgo or Chem books. I have no idea where they are. Orgo, I feel overly confident in since I just took the class and did well in it. I am saving that for last to review. I feel like I have a plan for the next couple of weeks for studying. I hope nothing (like my sister or getting sick) interferes with my limited study time.

btw, I am rationalizing being on this forum right now because weekends are just for taking practice tests and going over them.

I hope I have time to listen to all of the Audio Osmosis cds. I feel like I really have to focus to catch it all. My goal is a half an hour a day. I hope it happens.

Hey everyone! :)

I'm taking this date also. What time are you all taking yours? Mines at 12pm.

Im studying EK also, but physics still murders me. Eeks!
When you all take full-lengths, do you think the science sections test more passage/concept-based or knowledge/concept-based? When I read science passages, I tend to forget what I just read.... So any comments will help!

When are you all going to start setting good sleeping habits? I've been sleeping at 5/6AM since the end of May.... and been trying to change it. :rolleyes:

Hey everyone! :)

I'm taking this date also. What time are you all taking yours? Mines at 12pm.

Im studying EK also, but physics still murders me. Eeks!
When you all take full-lengths, do you think the science sections test more passage/concept-based or knowledge/concept-based? When I read science passages, I tend to forget what I just read.... So any comments will help!

When are you all going to start setting good sleeping habits? I've been sleeping at 5/6AM since the end of May.... and been trying to change it. :rolleyes:

Hello twin, lol :) I believe there is only one administration for 7/30 (12 pm), no? Well, I'm testing at noon as well! I think you need to integrate both knowledge and passage stuff in order to answer the questions.

Hello twin, lol :) I believe there is only one administration for 7/30 (12 pm), no? Well, I'm testing at noon as well! I think you need to integrate both knowledge and passage stuff in order to answer the questions.
LOL. I remember somewhere on AAMC that there's an 8am and 12pm on that day. But, at least we have 12pm!!! That way, we don't have to wake up TOO early :D

How many full-lengths have you all taken so far? I'm starting to panick! Yikess!

5/22/09: 27P PS: 11 BS: 9 VR: 7

What's the best thing I can do to get my VR up to a 9 or 10 by July 30th? Insane amounts of VR practice or what?

Help is appreciated!

Hey Y'all!
I just checked the test dates. July 30 is a
Single Administration at
Noon.

I remembered that it was the ONLY afternoon date after June 18. The next one is August 6.

I originally wanted the June 18, but missed finding a location near me. I am glad I had the extra time. I hope it doesn't affect our applications. I kept hearing about getting our application in during the Js, and we will be lucky to get it by August 31st.

ps. There was no way I would take an 8am unless that was the only time the test was every offered.