The Official 2011 Audiology NOW! Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigAl

Year III... Still Lost
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opened today for members and students/volunteers. Knowing that the volunteer spots would get filled up rather fast, I decided to attempt to register at the official start of Nov. 1, which would be 12:00 am. After 20 minutes of trying to figure out how to register, I made a smart decision and actually read what the instructions said (it's an XY chromosome thing, we don't do instructions). Pretty much they stated that registration opens at 9am, so I set my alarm to 8:30. Of course I go snooze crazy on it and end up waking up at 9:30 :bang:. While half asleep I try to register as fast as possible, and of course most of the slots are full. I finally found one that was from 1-6 (who in their right mind would choose a 7:00am slot, especially in Chi Town??). I think next year I'm going to register for several slots and become a volunteer slot scalper. This process is insane. Now that I rushed through the registration to make sure I secure my spot, I skipped through some of the labs they are having. Apparently, in order to register for them I have to email or call someone:wtf:. I can't change it by just logging on into my registration and altering it, not very intuitive must I say :mad:

OK, now I'm done with my rant, so who's going?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,
I’m an employee for the American Academy of Audiology and my google alerts happen to find your posting. I’m sorry you seem frustrated with the registration process, but I would like to inform you that you can make changes and add Learning Lab’s, etc at anytime.
You need to go to http://registration2.experient-inc.com/showAUD111/DefaultStudent.aspx click the terms to continue and log back in using your Academy ID and Last name. Once you are logged back in you’ll want to click “view/modify” then scroll down to “add items” from there you can add a LL, etc.
Hope this helps!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
my google alerts happen to find your posting.

Google owns us all:caution:
Thats great, thank you mystery AAA employee. You should stick around these forums, as you might have some useful information for the undergrads and grads that visit here.

Dust doesn't the AAA foundation offer some type of grant or something. :confused:

The schedule for those interested:

59y0g.jpg

I'm more than happy to stick around and answer any questions you may have.

You are correct, there are currently more openings for Student Volunteer timeslots available, we have 19 left!!!

As for the AAAFoundation question, they do have a Membership Assistance Program, here is more information:
Member Assistance Program (MAP)
Audiologists who wish to attend AudiologyNOW!® 2011 but are experiencing financial hardship (for medical, family, professional, or other personal reasons) are encouraged to apply for convention travel and registration support through the American Academy of Audiology Foundation’s MAP .
  • Applications are now available and must be received by January 21, 2011.
  • Applications will be evaluated and reviewed by the award committee with notification of awards made in early February.

The travel stipend, etc. do not apply to students, as the student volunteer program is considered to be the support. I believe non-volunteer students registration free is $195, so this is understandable. I'll figure something out for gas and lodging. Perhaps try my hand at starting a hot dog stand? :D Thanks for posting AudiologyNOW. I hope you will keep us posted on all of the updates until April rolls around.

Last edited:
All the first- and second-year students from Gallaudet have registered for the convention, so we will be seeing you guys there!

I had been sending out emails to everybody reminding them to register to be a volunteer. Then Monday I had clinic in the morning and couldn't get online until noon. Lo and behold, they were all full!!!! Luckily more opened up today.

I went last year and it really was a great experience, although costs do tend to add up (hotel, airfare). There are usually ways to get free food so that cost shouldn't be too high. Usually in the Expo hall you can grab some coffee or muffins for breakfast, and in the evenings the manufacturers throw parties.

I got good airlines rates TO Chicago, BUT the return home cost 3 times more! Really? Even with promotion code!

Members don't see this ad :)
All the first- and second-year students from Gallaudet have registered for the convention, so we will be seeing you guys there!

I had been sending out emails to everybody reminding them to register to be a volunteer. Then Monday I had clinic in the morning and couldn't get online until noon. Lo and behold, they were all full!!!! Luckily more opened up today.

I went last year and it really was a great experience, although costs do tend to add up (hotel, airfare). There are usually ways to get free food so that cost shouldn't be too high. Usually in the Expo hall you can grab some coffee or muffins for breakfast, and in the evenings the manufacturers throw parties.

Excellent! I may be riding solo as far as students are concerned in my program. Hopefully a few will join.

I got good airlines rates TO Chicago, BUT the return home cost 3 times more! Really? Even with promotion code!

Flight costs are pure insanity. I will be road tripping. That's tough on your end coming from California.

Nice cidanu. I lucked out with my tix, its the hotels that are a killer. Good thing we get free lunch.

Flight costs are pure insanity. I will be road tripping. That's tough on your end coming from California.

I might need a second job. Setting up a hot stand sounds good, but I think I'll join the Strike Force at the Angels stadium. I can get paid to have fun. Holla!!!

See you all there!! I am volunteering on Monday, so I will be there all week!! YAY!

Lemme know if anything comes up !!

Do I hear an SDN forum party :soexcited::banana::zip:
A few people from my program are going as well.

Sorry I was MIA...convention planning got busy and then the holidays hit. I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays!

Looking back on previous posts, I noticed a commnet on flights being so expensive. We set up flight discounts with some providers. More information can be found at http://www.audiologynow.org/travel/travelinfo.html

Can you believe it's only 100 more days till convention?!?!

If you havne’t already, don’t forget to “like” the official AudiologyNOW! page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/AudiologyNOW/120425318007989

T -73 days and counting

We have a group of about 10 students from the University of Tennessee coming, myself included. (All 2nd and 3rd years.)

How we are saving money:

1. Carpooling it up
2. Staying in two rooms at a Best Western NEAR a convention hotel with a shuttle, (found an awesome deal on priceline)
3. Almost all of us were lucky enough to get volunteer spots

I think it will cost us each under $300 for the whole trip from Tennessee and back. Personally I would have preffered a warmer climate...San Diego was awesome last year! *hint hint*

For those of you who registered as volunteers, when is your time slot? I am Thursday at 1pm. I will wear bright yellow MC Hammer pants to make myself easily identifiable.

For those of you who registered as volunteers, when is your time slot? I am Thursday at 1pm. I will wear bright yellow MC Hammer pants to make myself easily identifiable.

Friday from 1-6, ill be dressed up in an ear costume

Wednesday at 7:45 am. I will be the volunteer clenching a cup of coffee for dear life. =)

t -30 days and counting

Starkey throwing a shindig with the Blues Brothers on Thursday night, who got the tacky mailing?

t -30 days and counting

Starkey throwing a shindig with the Blues Brothers on Thursday night, who got the tacky mailing?

got it and pumped. almost as ridiculous as the full-sized poster in a poster-tube that i got from them last year.

but it's on Friday. :) don't show up on the wrong day!! gotta find out what's gonna be good on Thursday.

I am all about surviving on free hor d'oeuvres and cocktails. My goal this year - spend nothing!!!!

Friday I meant, would be bad if I showed up a day early lol. I'll need this thing after the volunteer slot that I have from 1-6 that afternoon. Gonna try that myself but I doubt its gonna last. I already know we are going to the pizza joint, and then the bar and... maybe we can get billy to join us and buy us a round

I nearly shat myself in excitement when I got that mailing from Starkey. Then I realized that it was 'Blues Brothers' and not the Blue Man group.

t -16 days
don't forget your comfy walking shoes... oh no i don't have any :smack:

hey, did anyone keep their flyers for the Starkey party or the party with Collective Soul? I am making a list for myself to make sure I take advantage of all the free food, but I already threw some stuff out. Here I will start a list.

Free Food/Entertainment

Wednesday

Thursday
Esco/Rexton party @ Buddy Guy's, 700 S. Wabash Ave, 7:30-11:00 pm

Friday
Phonak party @ Navy Pier Grand Ballroom, ~ 5:00-10:00 pm

Saturday

Free Food/Entertainment

Wednesday
SAA Mix & Mingle - 5:30-7:00pm, Hilton Chicago, International Ballroom

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Free Food/Entertainment

Wednesday
SAA Mix & Mingle - 5:30-7:00pm, Hilton Chicago, International Ballroom
Celebrate Audiology, 7:00-8:30pm, Hilton Chicago - Grand Ballroom

Thursday

Friday
PhD Students Networking Breakfast, 7:00-8:00am, 179B

Saturday
Trivia Bowl - 4:00-6:00pm, 375DE

Thanks for posting, cidanu. I plan to attend the SAA events, not sure about the hearing aid comp. parties.

See all of you guys there, have a safe trip.

Have a safe trip. I'll be there for the free food :D

Wish I was going to be there, but unfortunately couldn't get away from work due to a backlog of patients.

You all have fun and enjoy it! It's quite overwhelming your first trip!