The Official 3/24 2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered, 8am. Will be on the 4 month S2N study plan, all materials in hand. This is a retake for me.

Good luck all.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

Signed up for this Oct 12.
Studied for it last summer - didn't take it because practice scores were too low and my physics 2 comprehension was/is obsolete.
I am going to start into the Sn2 schedule wherever that date falls (day 14, etc). Been doing a few 6 hr days on it already but it is time to actually commit. In the meantime, I have to learn physics hardcore.
I am taking 4 credits, so that will help.

I see so many people expecting "strategy" in books and end up getting 3~4 kinds of REVIEW books.... Don't

The real strategy for MCAT is really jusg knowing the basics, and practice many questions to solidify your knowledge.
Identify your weakness, use whatever that helps (book, youtube, etc) to get those contents, and move on to questions.

With that being said, stick to ONE review source and obtain as many questions as possible. EK 1001 + TBR practice passages + Kaplan online questions would be more than plenty...

Speaking of reviews by the way, I think if we are on track, we should complete general reviews in about 2~3 weeks and start attacking questions and FLs...

I'm taking this &^%^& test again in March. I've done review (postponed the January test because my practice exams aren't up to par), and am working on FLs.

I'm aware of the following FLs online: 8 AAMC, 10 gold standard. Do any of you know of other ONLINE FLs? Are they accurate (relatively close to the real thing)?

thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
little update,

went through chapters of each science books, some areas i feel comfortable yet some areas i feel like i just understood concepts and didn't do much practice questions...

I will finish "book reviews" next week and start FL..probably just 1 FL for next few weeks and the rest days focusing on weak topics.

For verbal, I've been really spending a long time reviewing each passage. I did about 3 passages / day and spent almost 1.5hr reviewing them.
Verbal is my weak area, hopefully all these reviews help!:thumbup:

Hey all! I am now taking this test date due to me postponing Jan 28th's. Wasn't doing as well as I hoped on my full lengths, so I am going to use this time to brush over content (going back to the basics) and then start FLs. Good luck everyone!

Great!, Welcome!

We are about 70 days from the test. Last week I found out that my friend started his kaplan course (1/10~3/27) for his 3/24 test.
I want to tell you guys...especially those of you who think you are behind schedule for starting now or really getting into the study now, we aren't! we can definitely finish this!

MLK free day for some of you guys, use it efficiently!

Great!, Welcome!

We are about 70 days from the test. Last week I found out that my friend started his kaplan course (1/10~3/27) for his 3/24 test.
I want to tell you guys...especially those of you who think you are behind schedule for starting now or really getting into the study now, we aren't! we can definitely finish this!

MLK free day for some of you guys, use it efficiently!
Thank you for posting this; I constantly feel like I'm lagging behind. I have finished Organic Chemistry review, and almost done with Biology, but haven't even touched Gen Chemistry and Physics yet.

Thank you for posting this; I constantly feel like I'm lagging behind. I have finished Organic Chemistry review, and almost done with Biology, but haven't even touched Gen Chemistry and Physics yet.

Yea, honestly, the most fear factor about MCAT is "timing" and "consistency of study" that we aren't used to.

I'm just putting out the facts, The Kaplan courses for March test started last week (which i heard are Monday, Wednesday, Saturday class 3 hrs each).

Also, the "3 month MCAT schedule" has exactly 80 full days of test (excluding break days). Although I'm taking break days on Sundays, I'm still doing a light review and at least 3 passages of verbal on Sundays.

We are about 10 weeks until test. Do NOT wait until you master every concept of every subject 100%. Just read through, do some problems, and make sure we start testing ourselves in about 1~2 weeks.

I'm planning to spend the rest of the 8 weeks as follows

(Verbal everyday)

Sun: Lightly review my study binder
Mon: FL + Review
Tues: Phy/Gen Chem Topical study
Wednes: Bio / ORgo Topical Study
Thurs: FL + Review
Fri: Phy/Gen Chem Topical study
Sat: Bio/Orgo Topical Study

My point is that during this "solidification + application of knowledge weeks", do not "waste" one WHOLE day focusing on one subject. Study Biological science subjects one day, physical science subject the other day.

I'm registered to dominate this exam at 8am. Currently using everything EK (review, AO, 1001's). This week I pick up the pace, I havent been getting too much done with my course load. But Ive made some adjustments and it's on!

Class starts today for me guys (actually in an hour) how does everybody plan to spend the time with classes going on?

I couldn't get any studying done yesterday and classes didn't even begin!:(

Hey guys, how far in content have you guys completed??? When do you think would be a good time to start full lengths? As far as studying with classes, just pace yourselves. I am also working full time with a full time course load, so I understand it can get very stressful, but try to hang in there! I am starting from the basics, so I plan to re-start PS review today. Have Bio content pretty much down need mild review and the same for O-chem. Anyone else using TBR to study??

I will be done with Organic, Physics, and General Chemistry TPR Science Workbook, TBR Phase I, and EK 1001 by the end of the month. Coming right along...
And then it will Phase II of one chapter everyday until early March; 8 FL in February; AAMC in March.
I will be doing Biology in the first ten days of February...

Let's get rolling!!!

do not get hung up by "not mastering" fully.
You will have time to review each concepts of every subject. Just tackle questions!

Anyone have tips on efficiently studying verbal ? especially on the reviewing part of verbal? (besides do passages constantly everyday + go over every question I got wrong and know why i got wrong)

Members don't see this ad :)
I changed my volunteer schedule at my local hospital to Friday nights (4-8pm). One more way to keep me honest! This way I won't want to go out with friends afterwards, I won't end up staying up ridiculously late, and I won't sleep in till all hours Saturday and waste one of my best study days.

Now my friends just have to get used to the fact that I won't go out drinking with them till April. I'm sure they'll understand... I hope...

I will be done with Organic, Physics, and General Chemistry TPR Science Workbook, TBR Phase I, and EK 1001 by the end of the month. Coming right along...
And then it will Phase II of one chapter everyday until early March; 8 FL in February; AAMC in March.

Let's get rolling!!!

This might seem silly but what do you mean phase II of Tbr? I tried looking for it online and I'm still confused.

Day 18 on Sn2 schedule, this schedule is already much better than Kaplan's. I'll be registering for the 24th in a month after I see where I am. I want to make sure I am fully prepared.

TPRH verbal workbook is awesome and I'm getting EK 101 passages book, but did you guys have any preference between the two verbal books? I do about 3 passages a day as well.

Let's get rolling!!!

Are you me? I'll be done with Orgo, Physics, and Gen. Chem TBR Phase I, Phase II, and EK 1001 by the end of the month. I'll also have the reading for EK Bio complete but, no problems (I decided to delay the TBR Bio problems because they seemed to treat the material holistically and as such, I won't be doing it until the end of my content review). I then plan on taking AAMC 3 just to see where I'm at. After AAMC 3, I'll finish the TPR Science Workbook and TBR Biology over 2 weeks and then do 6 weeks of Kaplan + AAMC FLs + TBR Phase III leading up to the exam.

I'm currently on Chapter 6 of the TBR books so I'm about a week behind my intended schedule =(.

How are you guys managing the time to study?

Yeah, so I started back up at school a week ago and though I'm only taking 12 credit hours, school, research and work sucks up the majority of my day. I still try to spend 1-2 hours in the morning and about 2 hours at night doing problems and reviewing content. Weekends are when most of the work happens.

Are you me? I'll be done with Orgo, Physics, and Gen. Chem TBR Phase I, Phase II, and EK 1001 by the end of the month. I'll also have the reading for EK Bio complete but, no problems (I decided to delay the TBR Bio problems because they seemed to treat the material holistically and as such, I won't be doing it until the end of my content review). I then plan on taking AAMC 3 just to see where I'm at. After AAMC 3, I'll finish the TPR Science Workbook and TBR Biology over 2 weeks and then do 6 weeks of Kaplan + AAMC FLs + TBR Phase III leading up to the exam.

I'm currently on Chapter 6 of the TBR books so I'm about a week behind my intended schedule =(.

We are twins babe.

Little Week Study update...

Have been really struggling to review passage DEEPLY.... and since then I have been scoring 9's in Verbal. I can't seem to break 10 yet, but I'm making progress so i am happy.

Still behind reviews for physical sci than most of you guys probably, but i'll just cram TBR books for those two subjects...

Snow in Chicago, all in Midwest, Northeast....!

Finished all EK content and took AAMC #3 FL... scored 28 :(

Should I be discouraged?!?!!?!?!?

I really want 32+ is that going to be POSSIBLE??!?!?!!?

Finished all EK content and took AAMC #3 FL... scored 28 :(

Should I be discouraged?!?!!?!?!?

I really want 32+ is that going to be POSSIBLE??!?!?!!?

you have plenty of time (~2 months) to polish your knowledge. This is certainly possible.
Getting 28 now is not bad at all. Again, it would be nice, but at the same time pretty "discouraging" to get a 35 in your first practice AAMC.

28 is not a low score to begin, and it should definitely "encourage" you to improve over the next two months.

No worries.

how's everyone doing so far?
with school, i can't always do a ful hour of meaningful practice, but i try to get those verbal passages!

AHHH!!! So I registered for this beast about 2 months ago. I began Sn2ed's schedule on the last week of December and I was following it perfectly and then....New Years Eve happened. I took a scheduled break on that weekend and I've been behind ever since. Like I just could NOT study at all. And then every time I tried to open my book, I'd get distracted by silly house errands, or going to the hospital for checkups, or cleaning up after my mischievous cat, etc. I also spent 2 entire days watching an anime series straight (no sleep!). I just don't know what to do now...

I open my books and I feel so discouraged. I literally wasted 24 days. Who does that?!!! I definitely can't follow Sn2ed's schedule now. Any suggestions? :eek:

Hello! I've taken all the TPR Exams and am waiting to take the AAMC's in the last month. What other tests can I take in the mean time? How do I get a hold of additional practice tests? Thanks!

AHHH!!! So I registered for this beast about 2 months ago. I began Sn2ed's schedule on the last week of December and I was following it perfectly and then....New Years Eve happened. I took a scheduled break on that weekend and I've been behind ever since. Like I just could NOT study at all. And then every time I tried to open my book, I'd get distracted by silly house errands, or going to the hospital for checkups, or cleaning up after my mischievous cat, etc. I also spent 2 entire days watching an anime series straight (no sleep!). I just don't know what to do now...

I open my books and I feel so discouraged. I literally wasted 24 days. Who does that?!!! I definitely can't follow Sn2ed's schedule now. Any suggestions? :eek:

I felt exactly the same a week ago.. I was so far behind the schedule. However, I realized that some of the chapters (3/ 4) of BR are relatively short so I can usually do 2 chapters a day.... I have decided to read 2 chapters a day until I get on schedule.. maybe you could try the same and see how it goes...
Also, I read somewhere that the Sn2ed's schedule is 80 days without breaks so you might not be that far behind!

I felt exactly the same a week ago.. I was so far behind the schedule. However, I realized that some of the chapters (3/ 4) of BR are relatively short so I can usually do 2 chapters a day.... I have decided to read 2 chapters a day until I get on schedule.. maybe you could try the same and see how it goes...
Also, I read somewhere that the Sn2ed's schedule is 80 days without breaks so you might not be that far behind!

I hate being so far behind. It's so demoralizing! I hope I could do 2 chapters a day until I get on schedule too... So far, I've been working on chapter 1 of Organic Chemistry for the past 2 days. I went ahead on the other chapters because I just couldn't wrap my head around the wording in TBR Orgo chapter. Is it just me or does it seem really oddly organized? Maybe it's because I'm not focused or because it's so long! 50 pages? Seriously?! I definitely plan on doing 2-3 chapters on Bio to compensate for taking 3 days on this thing.

I just hope that doing more chapters in one day and not taking any breaks just to compensate on 24 days of lost time isn't going to make me burn-out.

I guess if I am just THAT too far behind, I should postpone... Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Good luck everyone else. Hope you guys stay on track and not waste a month like I did =P

Just a casual observer who has taken the test already and did relatively ok without a structured schedule. It's all about practice tests guys, if you fall behind in content don't get worried becuase you will cover what you missed in the test review. If I was gunna retake it I would seriously only do practice tests and review my mistakes. Good luck to everyone! Remember that your mindset can either be your best friend or worst enemy!

I don't think you're totally screwed yet. If you buckle you've still got a fair amount of time. Things can seem a little overwhelming towards the beginning when you're getting exposed to new information every time you sit down to study. Once things start to stick and you work through them a second time I think you'll start to feel better.

That being said, I hope those aren't the study habits you're expecting to get you through med school and boards...

Just a casual observer who has taken the test already and did relatively ok without a structured schedule. It's all about practice tests guys, if you fall behind in content don't get worried becuase you will cover what you missed in the test review. If I was gunna retake it I would seriously only do practice tests and review my mistakes. Good luck to everyone! Remember that your mindset can either be your best friend or worst enemy!

Well if you're happy with how that turned out for you then more power to you, though honestly that seems to me to be a potentially dangerous way to study if you have time to be more thorough with review materials. The catalog of topics on the MCAT is huge--for every topic that makes it on a given test there are five that didn't that you need to know anyway to be fully prepared (obviously that's not a real figure, but you get the point). I don't know what your background knowledge was at the outset and I don't know what "relatively ok" means, but as I said, happy to hear things turned out alright for you either way.

How's everyone doing?
about 60 days until test! (~58 days to be ecaxt)

I've seen some light in my weakest subject Verbal, am pushing hard to do constant practice + detailed review.

My physical science review has been inefficient, I'll probably spend 3~4 more days just to polish perfect content review and start doing FL!

Gluck everyone, Let's finish this at once!!!! never again!!!

How's everyone doing?
about 60 days until test! (~58 days to be ecaxt)

I've seen some light in my weakest subject Verbal, am pushing hard to do constant practice + detailed review.

My physical science review has been inefficient, I'll probably spend 3~4 more days just to polish perfect content review and start doing FL!

Gluck everyone, Let's finish this at once!!!! never again!!!

I don't think I can get through the Science Workbook; I decided to skip that and am doing BR Phases, and detailed reviewed. Finishing EK 1001 Physics, Chemistry, BR Chemistry Phase I and II, and BR Physics Phase I and II by January 31st. So far, on track.

I have done most of the content review for Organic; I will probably do some passages in BR later in Feb. Feb 1st - 15th ---> TPR Biology along with BR Phase I and II Biology. And then FL!!!!

SO PUMPED!!!!!

I might get to the Workbook over Spring break and finish it off then if I decide to take the time away from FL.

Hey guys!

I decided today that I ll be taking the Mcat for the 3rd time to see if I can get a 25R because i want to stay in PR. Tomorrow is my 2nd try so wish me luck. My first MCAT score was 17N (P6,V6,B5) Ouch!

One of my friends suggested to do all the practice test that i could and learned from my mistakes. I'm very disappointed with the results. When reviewing the incorrect answers most of them where because i changed the answer, didn't know the vocab, misunderstood the question. Pressure is my worst enemy.
I just have to learn to go with my first instinct.

Don't get me wrong im good student (GPA 3.85) but apparently a terrible test taker. Also english is my second language and i get easily distracted (specially in verbal). I refuse to use boosters like Ritalin and Adderall.

My average score in Physics are 6 and 7, Biology 7 and 8 but Verbal 5 and 6.

I have cleared my schedule and will be studying form 1-6 pm. I enjoy study groups but my main partner informed me she will no longer aspire to be a doctor. I think I suffer from lack of motivation but i have to pull out of it because i really want to get in 08/2012.

Do any of you think is possible to get a 25R in 55 days?

No one needs four months to study for any test ever. Take it from someone who is about to graduate with an MD. Take a few weeks, hit it hard for 12+ hours a day and do tons of practice questions. This will do two things. It will keep you from getting burnt out over that long period of time and it will keep you from forgetting so much from the beginning. You need to get used to this anyway; it is how you will study for USMLE Step exams. Again no more than 6 weeks no matter what. Questions questions questions

No one needs four months to study for any test ever. Take it from someone who is about to graduate with an MD. Take a few weeks, hit it hard for 12+ hours a day and do tons of practice questions. This will do two things. It will keep you from getting burnt out over that long period of time and it will keep you from forgetting so much from the beginning. You need to get used to this anyway; it is how you will study for USMLE Step exams. Again no more than 6 weeks no matter what. Questions questions questions
Thanks for the reply and congratulations on the MD! Its just so boring to study alone. To do better in physics and i made arrangements to attend those classes and at the same time do the practice questions for TPR and EK workbook. I hope this will make a difference in my score.

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on the MD! Its just so boring to study alone. To do better in physics and i made arrangements to attend those classes and at the same time do the practice questions for TPR and EK workbook. I hope this will make a difference in my score.

I'm from PR also i have found that chad's videos help me a lot to bring all the concepts together and also got TBR i know understand chemistry :D

i got the 90 bcs i started in dec but i think u have 2 months left for march so the 60 day should be fine

6 weeks!? I took the MCAT in the past with just 5-6 weeks of studying and did 10-12 hours of work per day with the exception of weekends because I had a part-time job. Needless to say it didn't work for me. I'm so scarred now that I don't even think I can do it in 8 weeks of studying which is why I just decided to postpone today. Besides, my 1 year marriage anniversary is the weekend before this exam date and I know I'm going to be distracted with preparations.

Good luck on everyone else who is taking it at this time slot! I just postponed to April...

Hows study going everyone? Has anyone started FLs yet???

My original plan was to start this wednesday, decided to give one more week to finalize my review...I was lazy 2~3 days and look what happens.. :scared:
I'm starting my 19 FL journey next week....(11Kaplan + 8 AAMC)

i'm taking this &^%^& test again in march. I've done review (postponed the january test because my practice exams aren't up to par), and am working on fls.

I'm aware of the following fls online: 8 aamc, 10 gold standard. Do any of you know of other online fls? Are they accurate (relatively close to the real thing)?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

tbr

I'm still far from doing FLs. Ugh. At this rate, I may have to postpone.

Don't feel bad. I'm in the same situation debating whether to postpone or not. At this time, I'm still planning on taking it on March 24th. We'll see though. Good luck to you :luck:

Don't feel bad. I'm in the same situation debating whether to postpone or not. At this time, I'm still planning on taking it on March 24th. We'll see though. Good luck to you :luck:

Thank you, I feel a little better. Good luck to you as well!