The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT SCORE: 521. 130/131/131/129
AAMC FL: 88.75%. 85%/94%/95%/81%
Predictor Score: 520. 517-521 narrow range, 513-525 broad range.
Comments: Prepped with Kaplan. Used only Khan Academy for P/S. I found TBR to be the best review material, but I wasn't able to get through it all before I took the test.

I feel so relieved.

Im really struggling, should I retake due to CARS?
HELP!

122 may be a bit low (assuming you aren't one of those unfortunate canadians, in which case definite retake), but a 511 overall is solid. Too late to retake for this cycle anyway so if you already have your primary and stuff in I'd follow through. If you are applying next year then I'd contemplate a retake depending on how confident you feel you can score well on the other 3 sections again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actual score: 515 (128, 129, 129, 129)
AAMC FL (taken 2 days before): 85% (80, 81, 95, 85)

I hit my goal so I'm pretty happy! Congrats everyone.

Im really struggling, should I retake due to CARS?
HELP!

A 122 in CARS translates to roughly a 5-6 which is likely to get screened out by schools. But definitely feel encouraged! Everything else looks incredible and a 511 is great!

It's funny how every single person who bombed CARS is Canadian! It's as if we get a different version of the CARS lmao this is absurd (at least 4-5 people on reddit with 122-124 in CARS were Canadian)

507: 129, 124, 127, 127

Past MCAT: 26 (10, 6, 10); 3.6 GPA, 3.5 science from a very good university; lots of clinical experience and some research...hoping to attend a DO or lower tier MD school...should I retake?

Mine was up a while ago.

515 128/130/129/128

Wanted a few points higher, but I'll take it :soexcited:

My scores are nothing like how I felt after the test or how I did on the AAMC FL. For reference, I got 81% 92% 69% 81% on the FL

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT SCORE: 514 (91%) C/P 130 (97%) CARS 127 (81%) Bio 131 (99%) P/S 126 (66%)
AAMC FL: 85%, 81%, 85%, 80%
Comments: Studied casually for a month, kind of procrastinated, then crammed like no other the month before. Used Kaplan, then Khan for P/S

Will P/S set me back? I'm not going for top tier, but above average schools. E.g. 1 of them had an average 3.7 gpa and 32 old mcat score for acceptance. Will P/S being new not be as big of a deal? halp

C/P: 127
CARS: 124 (Damn you, CARS!)
Bio: 130
Psych: 128
Overall: 509

Can I still do DO? Or is CARS gonna make me retake this exam?

Reactions: 1 user
509!!!!
129, 124, 127, 129
excel sheet predicted 507-511
What to do??? English is my second language, I got a 124 on reading section. Will this be okay? Do I even have a chance????

I say run with it.
Mine was up a while ago.

515 128/130/129/128

My scores are nothing like how I felt after the test or how I did on the AAMC FL. For reference, I got 81% 92% 69% 81% on the FL

wow, really happy for you @Pusheen. You Deserve it! Congratz

Thanks...I just updated my previous post with a little more information: Past MCAT: 26 (10, 6, 10); 3.6 GPA, 3.5 science from a top university; lots of clinical experience and some research...what do you think?

I'd say go for the state school(s) and couple of low-tiers, though it is getting late in the MD cycle so don't bother adding a crazy number of schools. Focus on DO.

I talked on this forum a little while ago about my study partner who beasted his AAMC FL with a 95% overall.

He scored a 528. As his friend, I am so happy for him!!!

I talked on this forum a little while ago about my study partner who beasted his AAMC FL with a 95% overall.

He scored a 528. As his friend, I am so happy for him!!!
What did he use to study ?? can you ask him for any tips and PM me?

What did he use to study ?? can you ask him for any tips and PM me?

I can speak for the both of us here. We both used kaplan for content review as well as prior coursework the college we go to. To supplement content review, practice tests from Kaplan Princeton review and the official Aamc as well as the question packs.

Occasionally would crack open some next step strategy and practice sections as well

516 - C/P 128 CARS 131 Bio 127 P/S 130

Really happy with my overall score. I wish it was a little more balanced, but I'll take it.

I am not exactly jumping up and down, but I am very relieved that this wait is finally over and I can finally sell my MCAT books!! @billeboi31 , your predictor was spot on! Thank you for taking the time to put this together! My score fell in the narrow range-- just wish that it could have been a bit towards the higher end-- but I know that I have no right to complain!

Predictor: 516-519 (narrow band)

Actual score (8/22): 516
C/P: 129
CARS: 127 (OMG... Yess!!)
B/B: 130 (I thought this section killed me... I was bracing myself for a 126 or so)
P/S: 130

AAMC FL practice (Taken ~10 days prior to exam date)
C/P: 83%
CARS: 87%
B/B: 88%
P/S: 88%

AAMC OG (Straight 86's)
C/P: 86%
CARS: 86%
B/B: 86%
P/S: 86%

TPR Practice Exam Range: 504-514

EK 1, 3, and 4: Low to mid 70's.

No retake for me! Hopefully I am a strong enough candidate for my undergrad school (top 10 US news), and possibly some California state schools.

Best of luck to my fellow August test takers! It has been quite a journey!!! Finishing this beast of an exam is an accomplishment in and of itself!! CHEERS!

Thanks...does taking the MCAT 3x look bad if there is improvement?

From what I understand 3x is not a death sentence not even for MD (I know of a couple of people in real life who have taken it 3x and eventually hit a score that was good enough for med school). While it's never a good thing...I think as long as you see generous improvement then it justifies the attempt. I've scoured sdn on opinions on this, and everyone on here says 3x looks really bad...but even if you look on the <70 LizzyM thread, you still see a number of people who have taken it 3x still get a number of interviews to med school. As much as we like to believe the MCAT has so much weight, there are actually a lot of other factors that go into whether or not you get into medical school. I would say it's pretty much like winning the lottery. Just make sure if you retake it, that you don't go down in any of the sections and make at least a 3+jump (old scale), or 5-6+ point jump (new scale), which in my eyes is a pretty good rule of thumb but in no way certain

I was hoping to get a 508, ending up with a 505 (127/126/124/128). Is 505 competitive for D.O?

My AAMC %'s were:
CP: 71%
CARS: 83%
BB: 63%
PS: 85%

I'll give the compilation people some time to get August scores in, then I might give the MCAT Predictor another update. It seems like quite a few people fell within the Narrow range (though I'm sure those who didn't were silent). If I swore by this predictor then I'd also probably win my fantasy league every year and win $1 billion for a perfect March Madness bracket - but any spreadsheet that restores my confidence for months of hard work I think is worth the data crunch. Y'all agree?

Reactions: 2 users
I'll give the compilation people some time to get August scores in, then I might give the MCAT Predictor another update. It seems like quite a few people fell within the Narrow range (though I'm sure those who didn't were silent). If I swore by this predictor then I'd also probably win my fantasy league every year and win $1 billion for a perfect March Madness bracket - but any spreadsheet that restores my confidence for months of hard work I think is worth the data crunch. Y'all agree?

Happy that a lot more people reported their AAMC FL along with their actual score this time. Hopefully we can update the predictor. Apparently it's working well for the upper range.

spread sheet kept me going, and was exactly right in the end...

Happy that a lot more people reported their AAMC FL along with their actual score this time. Hopefully we can update the predictor. Apparently it's working well for the upper range.
yup, got exactly what the predictor said, albeit with a different breakdown

MCAT SCORE: 504 (125/127/125/127)
AAMC FL: 79% (64/92/75/88)
COMMENTS: Predictor Narrow Band was 512-515.

Overall I feel like I should have done much better and I am very upset with my score and myself overall. I studied exclusively for this test for ~3 months and I hate the results. I am thinking about retaking and would seriously seriously appreciate all your opinions on this. If I retake I do plan on doing a full study 'cycle' focusing on my weak areas for content review and FL practice test.

Any thoughts?

I'm just chilling here on the couch stuffing my face with junk food because I haven't eaten all day from worry. Food is good:D

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT SCORE: 504 (125/127/125/127)
AAMC FL: 79% (64/92/75/88)

Overall I feel like I should have done much better and I am very upset with my score and myself overall. I studied exclusively for this test for ~3 months and I hate the results. I am thinking about retaking and would seriously seriously appreciate all your opinions on this. If I retake I do plan on doing a full study 'cycle' focusing on my weak areas for content review and FL practice test.

Any thoughts?
I think you should retake in January, unless you're only applying DO...it looks like you can do much better and this test was just a freak incident...

In shock. Averaged mid 50s to upper 60s in chem and bio using EKs 1,2, and AAMC FL. Averaged 65-75% in basically all CARS practice using those tests. Psych was always between 65-85%.

AAMC FL (Predictor measured 510)
C/P: 68%
CARS: 77%
B/B: 69%
P/S: 85%

Actual (511)
C/P: 130 (97%)
CARS: 124 (44%, WHAT A DROP OFF)
B/B: 127 (77%)
P/S: 130 (97%)

Happy as ****. Second time taking. Scored a 21 in January. Equivalent is ~31-32. Done with this test.

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT SCORE: 513 (128/127/128/130)
AAMC FL: 63/89/83/85)
Highest TRP score was 505

If you scored great, awesome. I am genuinely happy for you, and I know the feeling of accomplishment that you are experiencing. However, the reality is that more people are upset with their scores than happy with them. This may not appear to be the case on SDN, but generally and statistically speaking, this is the case. So whether you're reading this as a lurker without an account, or post more than @StudyLater, I feel the urge to speak up.

So, if you are unhappy: take heart. I got a 21 and a 24 on the old exam. I know what it's like to receive a 6 on a verbal section (old exam). Again: take heart. You may decide medicine is not for you. Or, you may come to a conclusion that the journey you thought you were on is taking a different route than expected. Take heart, and know that's okay. I graduated summa cum laude but the MCAT was keeping me out. It is not over, it is not a done deal, you can improve. I took the new MCAT2015 after trying to abandon my dreams of medicine, but my heart kept nagging at me to keep going. I ended up scoring in the 83rd percentile. I've mentioned it a couple times before, and I'm not doing it to toot my horn. I'm showing people that it can be done. I'm not brilliant by any means, I'm just a hard worker that had to learn how to study efficiently. I thought I was defeated, but I dug my hands a little deeper, kept my eyes on my goal, and scored competitively at 510: 127/126/129/128. I took the August 5 MCAT and am now sitting on two interview invites.

If the MCAT is a major barrier to you, take heart and know this process is forging you to become a stronger, more loving, and more compassionate doctor. You will know what it is like to have tried and failed. And, if you stick with it, you will know what it is like to have tried and overcome.

Reactions: 26 users
If you scored great, awesome. I am genuinely happy for you, and I know the feeling of accomplishment that you are experiencing. However, the reality is that more people are upset with their scores than happy with them. This may not appear to be the case on SDN, but generally and statistically speaking, this is the case.

So, if you are unhappy: take heart. I got a 21 and a 24 on the old exam. I know what it's like to receive a 6 on a verbal section (old exam). Again: take heart. You may decide medicine is not for you. Or, you may come to a conclusion that the journey you thought you were on is taking a different route than expected. Take heart, and know that's okay. I graduated summa cum laude but then tanked the MCAT twice. It is not over, it is not a done deal, you can improve. I took the new MCAT2015 after "bombing" the old one twice and scored in the 83rd percentile. I've mentioned it a couple times before, and I'm not doing it to toot my horn. I'm showing people that it can be done. I thought I was defeated, but I dug my hands a little deeper, kept my eyes on my goal, and scored competitively. I took the August 5 MCAT and am now sitting on two interview invites.

If the MCAT is a major barrier to you, take heart and know this process is forging you to become a stronger, more loving, and more compassionate doctor. You will know what it is like to have tried and failed. And, if you stick with it, you will know what it is like to have tried and overcome.
Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about the sheer number of scores released today and how about 70% are a no-go. I hope people realize the selection bias on here and don't get discouraged by those who did well

Reactions: 1 users
Mine was up a while ago.

515 128/130/129/128

Congrats!