You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by LLawliet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
AAMC 3: 12/9/12 = 33 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 4: 11:11:13 = 35 (PS/V/BS)
My goal is to get a 31 or 32 on the actual exam. I felt like there was a LOT of luck in my first two tests because I guessed on the second orgo passage of AAMC 4 (4 questions) and somehow ended up getting all 4 of them right, knew probably just 1.
Not going to really regard the first two tests as luck seemed to play a big role!
AAMC 4: 11:11:13 = 35 (PS/V/BS)
My goal is to get a 31 or 32 on the actual exam. I felt like there was a LOT of luck in my first two tests because I guessed on the second orgo passage of AAMC 4 (4 questions) and somehow ended up getting all 4 of them right, knew probably just 1.
Not going to really regard the first two tests as luck seemed to play a big role!
I think doing a few GS tests and reviewing what you miss on the PS would boost your AAMC PS scores by 1-2 points. Just take the difficult calculations with a grain of salt.AAMC 3: 12/9/12 = 33 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 4: 11:11:13 = 35 (PS/V/BS)
My goal is to get a 31 or 32 on the actual exam. I felt like there was a LOT of luck in my first two tests because I guessed on the second orgo passage of AAMC 4 (4 questions) and somehow ended up getting all 4 of them right, knew probably just 1.
Not going to really regard the first two tests as luck seemed to play a big role!
I second this. I went from little confidence and 11s in PS to feeling pretty comfortable with anything being thrown at me and 14s on AAMC 7 and 8.I think doing a few GS tests and reviewing what you miss on the PS would boost your AAMC PS scores by 1-2 points. Just take the difficult calculations with a grain of salt.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I ended up buying 3 TBR tests over the GS tests because I knew I was only going to have time to do 3 extra non-AAMC tests. Hopefully they will still help?
I just rescheduled from the 15th to this test date. I've taken AAMC 3, 5, and 4, in that order, and I'm not sure what to make of these scores:
AAMC 3: 11/10/13 = 34 (Taken on 8/3/14)
AAMC 5: 11/8/13 = 32 (Taken on 8/6/14)
AAMC 4: 14/13/14 = 41 (Taken on 8/7/14)
So, how should I interpret this? I feel like that 41 must be a fluke. These were all under timed conditions. I haven't done any studying for verbal, because I got a perfect score on SAT critical reading both times I took it, and so I just decided my time would be better spent studying for the PS and BS portions of the exam, but the inconsistency of my verbal scores is really freaking me out. Although, I will admit I got a little flustered during the verbal section of AAMC 5, which may have affected my performance. Is the 4th AAMC the easiest test or something? I feel that the biology sections of these 3 tests were very easy, but I've read that people think that the BS section in exams 10 and 11 are much more difficult, yet peoples' scores seem to be relatively consistent with their earlier AAMC scores... are the curves just more generous for the later tests?
I'm a very high-strung individual and I suffer from generalized anxiety, and so when I come across a problem I don't understand right away, I start to panic, which throws off my performance for the rest of the test. Before taking AAMC 4 I took a klonopin, and so I didn't get flustered during the test, so maybe that's what made the difference? I dunno, I suppose I will need to take more tests to find out... I'm doing all of the Self-Assessments tomorrow.
Is anyone else getting inconsistent scores like me? Advice would be great!
Edit: Also, I think the reason I did so well on the PS for AAMC 4 was because there was hardly any calculation on it. Heavy calculations screw me up. Which GS tests are the most calculation heavy? I obviously only have time to do a handful of them, because I still have to complete the rest of the AAMCs, and the last 1/3 of TBR passages.
AAMC 3: 11/10/13 = 34 (Taken on 8/3/14)
AAMC 5: 11/8/13 = 32 (Taken on 8/6/14)
AAMC 4: 14/13/14 = 41 (Taken on 8/7/14)
So, how should I interpret this? I feel like that 41 must be a fluke. These were all under timed conditions. I haven't done any studying for verbal, because I got a perfect score on SAT critical reading both times I took it, and so I just decided my time would be better spent studying for the PS and BS portions of the exam, but the inconsistency of my verbal scores is really freaking me out. Although, I will admit I got a little flustered during the verbal section of AAMC 5, which may have affected my performance. Is the 4th AAMC the easiest test or something? I feel that the biology sections of these 3 tests were very easy, but I've read that people think that the BS section in exams 10 and 11 are much more difficult, yet peoples' scores seem to be relatively consistent with their earlier AAMC scores... are the curves just more generous for the later tests?
I'm a very high-strung individual and I suffer from generalized anxiety, and so when I come across a problem I don't understand right away, I start to panic, which throws off my performance for the rest of the test. Before taking AAMC 4 I took a klonopin, and so I didn't get flustered during the test, so maybe that's what made the difference? I dunno, I suppose I will need to take more tests to find out... I'm doing all of the Self-Assessments tomorrow.
Is anyone else getting inconsistent scores like me? Advice would be great!
Edit: Also, I think the reason I did so well on the PS for AAMC 4 was because there was hardly any calculation on it. Heavy calculations screw me up. Which GS tests are the most calculation heavy? I obviously only have time to do a handful of them, because I still have to complete the rest of the AAMCs, and the last 1/3 of TBR passages.
Last edited:
Interesting. I'm sure ppl will find it a positive that you have not only the science background but also another more abstract field.Biology and Philosophy. Double major. 3 semesters left.
The GS exams toward the end 7-10 are the most calc heavy. Beware tho, if you start taking them straight from only AAMC tests it's going to be quite a shock in terms of your ability to finish the test, unless you are already finishing AAMC PS with 20mins to spare.I just rescheduled from the 15th to this test date. I've taken AAMC 3, 5, and 4, in that order, and I'm not sure what to make of these scores:
AAMC 3: 11/10/13 = 34 (Taken on 8/3/14)
AAMC 5: 11/8/13 = 32 (Taken on 8/6/14)
AAMC 4: 14/13/14 = 41 (Taken on 8/7/14)
So, how should I interpret this? I feel like that 41 must be a fluke. These were all under timed conditions. I haven't done any studying for verbal, because I got a perfect score on SAT critical reading both times I took it, and so I just decided my time would be better spent studying for the PS and BS portions of the exam, but the inconsistency of my verbal scores is really freaking me out. Although, I will admit I got a little flustered during the verbal section of AAMC 5, which may have affected my performance. Is the 4th AAMC the easiest test or something? I feel that the biology sections of these 3 tests were very easy, but I've read that people think that the BS section in exams 10 and 11 are much more difficult, yet peoples' scores seem to be relatively consistent with their earlier AAMC scores... are the curves just more generous for the later tests?
I'm a very high-strung individual and I suffer from generalized anxiety, and so when I come across a problem I don't understand right away, I start to panic, which throws off my performance for the rest of the test. Before taking AAMC 4 I took a klonopin, and so I didn't get flustered during the test, so maybe that's what made the difference? I dunno, I suppose I will need to take more tests to find out... I'm doing all of the Self-Assessments tomorrow.
Is anyone else getting inconsistent scores like me? Advice would be great!
Edit: Also, I think the reason I did so well on the PS for AAMC 4 was because there was hardly any calculation on it. Heavy calculations screw me up. Which GS tests are the most calculation heavy? I obviously only have time to do a handful of them, because I still have to complete the rest of the AAMCs, and the last 1/3 of TBR passages.
I'm sure that will be similarly useful. I found the TBR review books themselves to be great PS review. I just never had access to the exams or i likely would have done them also.I ended up buying 3 TBR tests over the GS tests because I knew I was only going to have time to do 3 extra non-AAMC tests. Hopefully they will still help?
I think the issue may have been anxiety. Try taking the next few tests with and without clonazepam and see how it goes. I believe some research has shown that excessive blood levels of stress hormones decrease glucose use in certain rational/cognitive areas of the brain.I just rescheduled from the 15th to this test date. I've taken AAMC 3, 5, and 4, in that order, and I'm not sure what to make of these scores:
AAMC 3: 11/10/13 = 34 (Taken on 8/3/14)
AAMC 5: 11/8/13 = 32 (Taken on 8/6/14)
AAMC 4: 14/13/14 = 41 (Taken on 8/7/14)
So, how should I interpret this? I feel like that 41 must be a fluke. These were all under timed conditions. I haven't done any studying for verbal, because I got a perfect score on SAT critical reading both times I took it, and so I just decided my time would be better spent studying for the PS and BS portions of the exam, but the inconsistency of my verbal scores is really freaking me out. Although, I will admit I got a little flustered during the verbal section of AAMC 5, which may have affected my performance. Is the 4th AAMC the easiest test or something? I feel that the biology sections of these 3 tests were very easy, but I've read that people think that the BS section in exams 10 and 11 are much more difficult, yet peoples' scores seem to be relatively consistent with their earlier AAMC scores... are the curves just more generous for the later tests?
I'm a very high-strung individual and I suffer from generalized anxiety, and so when I come across a problem I don't understand right away, I start to panic, which throws off my performance for the rest of the test. Before taking AAMC 4 I took a klonopin, and so I didn't get flustered during the test, so maybe that's what made the difference? I dunno, I suppose I will need to take more tests to find out... I'm doing all of the Self-Assessments tomorrow.
Is anyone else getting inconsistent scores like me? Advice would be great!
Edit: Also, I think the reason I did so well on the PS for AAMC 4 was because there was hardly any calculation on it. Heavy calculations screw me up. Which GS tests are the most calculation heavy? I obviously only have time to do a handful of them, because I still have to complete the rest of the AAMCs, and the last 1/3 of TBR passages.
The GS exams toward the end 7-10 are the most calc heavy. Beware tho, if you start taking them straight from only AAMC tests it's going to be quite a shock in terms of your ability to finish the test, unless you are already finishing AAMC PS with 20mins to spare.
Thanks! I will probably run out of time for the PS on the GS tests, but it will be good practice!
I think the issue may have been anxiety. Try taking the next few tests with and without clonazepam and see how it goes. I believe some research has shown that excessive blood levels of stress hormones decrease glucose use in certain rational/cognitive areas of the brain.
I hope this is the case! I'm going to do AAMC 7 tomorrow and take a klonopin beforehand and see how it goes!
Those of you who have taken AAMC 4, can you please go to this link http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aamc-cbt4-and-4r-official-q-a.516251/page-5 and see if you can answer my question. Thanks!
AAMC 4 SPOILER ALERT
When I saw that question, it seemed primarily to be asking if the test taker knows that a reflex involves a reflex arc involving the spinal cord, and that the spinal cord leads to the brain, and that interneurons are processing centers for neurostimuli.Those of you who have taken AAMC 4, can you please go to this link http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aamc-cbt4-and-4r-official-q-a.516251/page-5 and see if you can answer my question. Thanks!
Last edited:
Agreed. My thoughts were that you always need a sensory neuron (between I and II) to feel external stimuli and you always need a motor neuron (between III and IV) to move skeletal muscle. These must be the beginning and end of the arc. So the only places you can change things are in between these 2 neurons.When I saw that question, it seemed primarily to be asking if the test taker knows that a reflex involves a reflex arc involving the spinal cord, and that the spinal cord leads to the brain, and that interneurons are processing centers for neurostimuli.
Agreed. My thoughts were that you always need a sensory neuron (between I and II) to feel external stimuli and you always need a motor neuron (between III and IV) to move skeletal muscle. These must be the beginning and end of the arc. So the only places you can change things are in between these 2 neurons.
I got that question wrong. Thanks for this explanation. Your quick two-sentence explanation already beats what AAMC said lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@JAH360 I'm interested to know how much you take. Does it not alter your thinking speed or anything?
I'm prescribed up to 3 mg a day, but I only take 0.5 to 1 mg, usually. If I take it by itself, it will put me to sleep. But I take it along with Adderall and Focalin, so it doesn't make me groggy. I need to experiment with the dosage a bit before the exam to find what will help me the most.@JAH360 I'm interested to know how much you take. Does it not alter your thinking speed or anything?
Just took AAMC 9 today! AAMC #9 - 12/12/12 --- (36) -- anyone think 8 was a little harder than the rest of the AAMCS so far? Mostly the sciences? I didnt see a drastic score change from 8 (11/13/10 — (34)) but a definite drop in my science scores. Thoughts?
38 on AAMC9. 15-11-12.AAMC9 today. Let's hope for the best!
I haven't gone through what i missed in 9, but from my initial impression i thought the bio on 9 was a bit more difficult. Goes to show that everyone looks at each test differently i suppose.Just took AAMC 9 today! AAMC #9 - 12/12/12 --- (36) -- anyone think 8 was a little harder than the rest of the AAMCS so far? Mostly the sciences? I didnt see a drastic score change from 8 (11/13/10 — (34)) but a definite drop in my science scores. Thoughts?
You have convinced me to do the GS tests! Congrats on the PS score!38 on AAMC9. 15-11-12.
Broke 40 on AAMC 7! 13/12/15. So pleased with BS!
Congrats! Now we just need to pull these scores on the real dealBroke 40 on AAMC 7! 13/12/15. So pleased with BS!
Let's do it!Congrats! Now we just need to pull these scores on the real deal
Tell me about it. I've learned that as soon as I start to get caught up on a question and begin justifying why answers outside of my intuition are correct, I need to just choose the simplest, most general answer that, if applicable, can also be supported by something directly from the passage.wow just looked at what i got wrong on aamc9. 4 of the 6 from BS i changed from the right answer. Please everyone, do not do this on the real deal. My tendency to do this is the bane of my existence.
Also, if you want a really nice, challenging practice exam, complete with a couple very difficult bio passages, do the free Kaplan practice test (if you haven't already). The score report also shows you the questions where you had the right answer but switched to the wrong one, and vice versa. I did it a couple weeks ago and got PS = 13 and BS = 13. I didn't do the verbal, as I heard Kaplan has unreadable VR passages.
Edit: I suggest this to anyone as prep for getting a very hard-to-read bio passage on the real one. The Kaplan seemed difficult to me, but it could be easy for others!
I need advice.
I am running desperately out of time and I have little motivation anymore. I am aiming for a 35+. I have taken 3 practice tests, AAMC 3 (11/11/10), AAMC 4 (10/13/12) and AAMC 5 (11/11/10). I am really disappointed with this scores and took a few days to do the self assessment package. Here is my breakdown:
Bio: 81%
Orgo: 83%
Verbal: 83%
Physics: 67%
Gen Chem: 81%
I have finished reviewing all of them.
I'm thinking tomorrow I am just going to have a mega-review day, where I pick out a bunch of things I suck at and make myself good at them. But honestly I don't know how much it will help me at this point. I'm just so frustrated. I'm not doing as well as I want, but I feel like I've reached a maximum. It's infuriating when I do a set of passages and feel like I did really well, but I get an 11. And to most people, my scores probably are pretty good. (Give these assessments to anyone in the physics class I took and I guarantee no one would break 50%). But I want them to be better and I don't know how to do that in this short time, when I already pretty much hate my life because I'm missing out on so much because I have to study.
People have been suggesting the GS tests. Which ones are the best for focusing on BS and PS?
I am running desperately out of time and I have little motivation anymore. I am aiming for a 35+. I have taken 3 practice tests, AAMC 3 (11/11/10), AAMC 4 (10/13/12) and AAMC 5 (11/11/10). I am really disappointed with this scores and took a few days to do the self assessment package. Here is my breakdown:
Bio: 81%
Orgo: 83%
Verbal: 83%
Physics: 67%
Gen Chem: 81%
I have finished reviewing all of them.
I'm thinking tomorrow I am just going to have a mega-review day, where I pick out a bunch of things I suck at and make myself good at them. But honestly I don't know how much it will help me at this point. I'm just so frustrated. I'm not doing as well as I want, but I feel like I've reached a maximum. It's infuriating when I do a set of passages and feel like I did really well, but I get an 11. And to most people, my scores probably are pretty good. (Give these assessments to anyone in the physics class I took and I guarantee no one would break 50%). But I want them to be better and I don't know how to do that in this short time, when I already pretty much hate my life because I'm missing out on so much because I have to study.
People have been suggesting the GS tests. Which ones are the best for focusing on BS and PS?
Don't despair. Like u said, ur scores are pretty solid and it's an unfair comparison to only gauge urself against what you see on sdn. At my UG institution for every student who gets a 35+ there are probably 10 who get sub 27 (albeit my school isn't known for its premed tradition). As far as the GS exams are concerned, I found 7-10 to be quite challenging and if you can handle them I think your PS score would thank you once scores come out. It isn't aamc so there are a couple passages that contain a bit more BS than PS (if you know what I mean) but all in all I found these a good resource.I need advice.
I am running desperately out of time and I have little motivation anymore. I am aiming for a 35+. I have taken 3 practice tests, AAMC 3 (11/11/10), AAMC 4 (10/13/12) and AAMC 5 (11/11/10). I am really disappointed with this scores and took a few days to do the self assessment package. Here is my breakdown:
Bio: 81%
Orgo: 83%
Verbal: 83%
Physics: 67%
Gen Chem: 81%
I have finished reviewing all of them.
I'm thinking tomorrow I am just going to have a mega-review day, where I pick out a bunch of things I suck at and make myself good at them. But honestly I don't know how much it will help me at this point. I'm just so frustrated. I'm not doing as well as I want, but I feel like I've reached a maximum. It's infuriating when I do a set of passages and feel like I did really well, but I get an 11. And to most people, my scores probably are pretty good. (Give these assessments to anyone in the physics class I took and I guarantee no one would break 50%). But I want them to be better and I don't know how to do that in this short time, when I already pretty much hate my life because I'm missing out on so much because I have to study.
People have been suggesting the GS tests. Which ones are the best for focusing on BS and PS?
Just took AAMC 9 today! AAMC #9 - 12/12/12 --- (36) -- anyone think 8 was a little harder than the rest of the AAMCS so far? Mostly the sciences? I didnt see a drastic score change from 8 (11/13/10 — (34)) but a definite drop in my science scores. Thoughts?
Nice job! I agree with you about AAMC 8 - I actually thought the PS was easy for me but the BS was quite challenging. The questions were tricky and I thought for a handful of biology questions there were 2-3 answer choices that seemed equally good. The passage on the microfilaments especially was pretty challenging.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When are you guys taking your last FL?
I have been taking about 4-5 full lengths per week for the past 2 weeks.
As of today, I have 4 full lengths left (2 AAMC and 2 GS) and I plan on using AAMC 10 and then 11 as my last full length.
Also, how are you guys on planning on studying this last week and a half so you don't burn out nor lose practice?
I have been taking about 4-5 full lengths per week for the past 2 weeks.
As of today, I have 4 full lengths left (2 AAMC and 2 GS) and I plan on using AAMC 10 and then 11 as my last full length.
Also, how are you guys on planning on studying this last week and a half so you don't burn out nor lose practice?
I'm planning on taking AAMC 10 on the 12th and then AAMC 11 on the 16th with review days in between. I think from the 16-20th Ill just go over all of the AAMCs again, maybe redo a few science sections from the earlier ones just to keep my mind thinking like the test format. On the 20th im just gonna chill out with a few beers and some friends and hope for the best.
When are you guys taking your last FL?
I have been taking about 4-5 full lengths per week for the past 2 weeks.
As of today, I have 4 full lengths left (2 AAMC and 2 GS) and I plan on using AAMC 10 and then 11 as my last full length.
Also, how are you guys on planning on studying this last week and a half so you don't burn out nor lose practice?
I was thinking along the same lines, except taking AAMC 11 on the 17th. And I might sub in a captain and coke instead of the beers hahaI'm planning on taking AAMC 10 on the 12th and then AAMC 11 on the 16th with review days in between. I think from the 16-20th Ill just go over all of the AAMCs again, maybe redo a few science sections from the earlier ones just to keep my mind thinking like the test format. On the 20th im just gonna chill out with a few beers and some friends and hope for the best.
Once I finish the Self-Assessments today, I will be doing a full length every day until the test, and spend a day finishing the last 1/3 of TBR, and another day picking out passages in the TPRH SW and problems in EK 1001 to iron out my weaknesses. The 20th is actually the first day of class for my university, so I'll be spending it going over syllabi (although I probably won't pay much attention in class because I'll be busy going over all my flashcards...)When are you guys taking your last FL?
I have been taking about 4-5 full lengths per week for the past 2 weeks.
As of today, I have 4 full lengths left (2 AAMC and 2 GS) and I plan on using AAMC 10 and then 11 as my last full length.
Also, how are you guys on planning on studying this last week and a half so you don't burn out nor lose practice?
When are you guys taking your last FL?
I have been taking about 4-5 full lengths per week for the past 2 weeks.
As of today, I have 4 full lengths left (2 AAMC and 2 GS) and I plan on using AAMC 10 and then 11 as my last full length.
Also, how are you guys on planning on studying this last week and a half so you don't burn out nor lose practice?
I'm taking AAMC 8 on Monday, 9 on Wednesday, 10 on Friday, and 11 on Sunday. In between I'll be reviewing the FLs, doing TPRH SW problems, and finishing the TPRH Verbal workbook. On Monday the 18th I'll review AAMC 11. Tuesday and Wednesday will be light review of my previous mistakes, and maybe rereading TBR chapters on my weaknesses.
Question for those of you who have finished AAMC 7:
BS: Item 95
It asks for the number of stereoisomers of a compound. The compound has two rings stuck together , and in the provided diagram both hydrogens at the connecting carbons are pointed out. I understand that both of these carbons are chiral centers, but I thought that there would only be two possible conformations: both up, or both down (so I thought the answer was 8). How can one H be up and one be down? Wouldn't that cause a great deal of ring strain/stress?
BS: Item 95
It asks for the number of stereoisomers of a compound. The compound has two rings stuck together , and in the provided diagram both hydrogens at the connecting carbons are pointed out. I understand that both of these carbons are chiral centers, but I thought that there would only be two possible conformations: both up, or both down (so I thought the answer was 8). How can one H be up and one be down? Wouldn't that cause a great deal of ring strain/stress?
I'm planning on taking AAMC 10 on the 12th and then AAMC 11 on the 16th with review days in between. I think from the 16-20th Ill just go over all of the AAMCs again, maybe redo a few science sections from the earlier ones just to keep my mind thinking like the test format. On the 20th im just gonna chill out with a few beers and some friends and hope for the best.
I was thinking along the same lines, except taking AAMC 11 on the 17th. And I might sub in a captain and coke instead of the beers haha
Once I finish the Self-Assessments today, I will be doing a full length every day until the test, and spend a day finishing the last 1/3 of TBR, and another day picking out passages in the TPRH SW and problems in EK 1001 to iron out my weaknesses. The 20th is actually the first day of class for my university, so I'll be spending it going over syllabi (although I probably won't pay much attention in class because I'll be busy going over all my flashcards...)
I'm taking AAMC 8 on Monday, 9 on Wednesday, 10 on Friday, and 11 on Sunday. In between I'll be reviewing the FLs, doing TPRH SW problems, and finishing the TPRH Verbal workbook. On Monday the 18th I'll review AAMC 11. Tuesday and Wednesday will be light review of my previous mistakes, and maybe rereading TBR chapters on my weaknesses.
Thanks for all the fast replies lol.
So flashcards, reviewing past FL's, practicing some problems and reviewing weak areas to not lose the MCAT mindset seems like a great idea for the last couple of days. Not too sure about the beers lol.
LOL I'm saving the alcohol for AFTER the MCAT. My friends are taking me out the night of the 21st to celebrate the completion of the worst four months of my life. I intend to get blackout hahaThanks for all the fast replies lol.
So flashcards, reviewing past FL's, practicing some problems and reviewing weak areas to not lose the MCAT mindset seems like a great idea for the last couple of days. Not too sure about the beers lol.
When you open each SA there's a huge wall of text that introduces you to what the SA is, exactly. It tells you approximately how long it should take (ex. 3-4 hours, 2-3 hours). I just went by that and stayed within the upper limit.Have any of y'all done the self-assessments? Do you suggest doing them timed or untimed?
DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN AAMC7:Question for those of you who have finished AAMC 7:
BS: Item 95
It asks for the number of stereoisomers of a compound. The compound has two rings stuck together , and in the provided diagram both hydrogens at the connecting carbons are pointed out. I understand that both of these carbons are chiral centers, but I thought that there would only be two possible conformations: both up, or both down (so I thought the answer was 8). How can one H be up and one be down? Wouldn't that cause a great deal of ring strain/stress?
Whenever a question asks for the maximum amount of stereoisomers, it's pretty much always dictated by 2^n. I get your point that it likely would be quite a bit of torsional strain on the rings, but the question isn't necessarily referring to the "realistic" number of stereoisomers.
Ah, all right, I guess I overthought it. Thanks!DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN AAMC7:
Whenever a question asks for the maximum amount of stereoisomers, it's pretty much always dictated by 2^n. I get your point that it likely would be quite a bit of torsional strain on the rings, but the question isn't necessarily referring to the "realistic" number of stereoisomers.
I'm taking AAMC 9 tomorrow, AAMC 10 on Thursday, and then AAMC 11 next Monday, and I'll probably add in a TPR test on Saturday. I'll spend the days in between thoroughly reviewing the FL's and finishing up the final 1/3 of TBR passages.
I think the day before the MCAT, I'll mostly take off but I want to do some light review of equations for PS just in case we get a very calculation-heavy section.
I think the day before the MCAT, I'll mostly take off but I want to do some light review of equations for PS just in case we get a very calculation-heavy section.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AAMC 10: 14/12/14 = 40
Feel pretty good. Only got 1 science question wrong from lapse in judgment. I literally breezed through the Bio section, finishing with 25 minutes left. Let me know what you guys think of the Bio on AAMC 10. I still think the bio on 5 and 7 were the most difficult.
Feel pretty good. Only got 1 science question wrong from lapse in judgment. I literally breezed through the Bio section, finishing with 25 minutes left. Let me know what you guys think of the Bio on AAMC 10. I still think the bio on 5 and 7 were the most difficult.
Last edited:
I didn't really like the bio on 9.Also, what did you guys think of AAMC 9?
Just finished the Physics SA. Took me 6 hours. Christ that was hard. I got 87%. If the actual MCAT is like that I'm screwed...
I got 70% :/ but it took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I can't seem to spend too much time on a single question or passage. My mind is already programmed to guess (and mark it to complete later), if I can't figure it out after a while.
However, I found that if I didn't know it before, I still won't know it after I finish with spare time.
Got 86% in my Chem SA though 🙂
I second guessed myself too much on BS 9. But yes I had a bit more trouble than on previous exams. I thought the PS was pretty easy tho. One question that I didn't agree with and still don't like their answer but oh well still got me a 15.I didn't really like the bio on 9.