The Official August 28, 2013 MCAT Thread [8-28-13]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh7

Relax
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd create the thread for us :)

I'm on Day 17 of the Sn2ed study schedule. The schedule is tough and TBR can be pretty harsh but hopefully it pays off on August 28th :p

How are you guys studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of traffic on this thread lol. Maybe a bump will get things going.

I'm a retaker doing a modified Sn2ed schedule. Definitely easier the second time around, however, still a challenge to put in the hours each day.

Lots of traffic on this thread lol. Maybe a bump will get things going.

I'm a retaker doing a modified Sn2ed schedule. Definitely easier the second time around, however, still a challenge to put in the hours each day.

this your second time using sn2ed? are you redoing all the TBR books again?

I was wondering if a thread for this date was going to pop up...thanks!

I'm using the sn2ed schedule as well. Today is day 26 which I think might be a day or two behind since I'm helping my family move. I'm going to try and catch up with some "break" days.

I agree on TBR being brutal but when I look at my friends' books and see what their review questions look like, I know its going to pay off in the end.

How many hours does it take for you guys to do one chapter? Some of the longer (50+ pages, especially gen chem) chapters feel like it takes forever to get through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm going through them again, I actually don't think I did a good job with them the first time around because I remember basically nothing from them. I'm also supplementing with TPR SW, which would all be fresh passages.

Only thing I'm short on is verbal passages. I've been going through EK 101 again, but some passages do seem familiar. Not taking the scores I get too seriously. Considering getting TBR Verbal as I've gone through TPRH Verbal as well.

Doing the Sn2ed schedule also, on day 23.

How many hours does it take for you guys to do one chapter? Some of the longer (50+ pages, especially gen chem) chapters feel like it takes forever to get through.

It takes me around 1.5-2 hours per chapter just for reading/making flash cards and doing examples. I do feel like some chapters go on forever.

I've been studying since the beginning of May and I'm following my own schedule. I'm using TPR for Biology and TBR for G.Chem, Physics and O.Chem.

If all goes as planned, I should get through all the books by July 18. Then I plan on doing the AAMC Self-Assessment, followed by a week of reviewing my week spots using the TPRH Science Workbook. After that, it's just practice tests and review until August 28.

How many hours a day do you guys study? I've been putting in 4-5 (not including breaks), but trying to increase it since I'm behind. It gets pretty hard to focus and sit still after the 5/6 hour mark.

How many hours a day do you guys study? I've been putting in 4-5 (not including breaks), but trying to increase it since I'm behind. It gets pretty hard to focus and sit still after the 5/6 hour mark.

I study about 3-4 hours a day (excluding breaks and procrastination). I can't really do more than that because I'm also working full-time.

How are you guys studying for the exam. This is my first to take the Mcat. I think the exam is more of critical thinking. Do any of you use examkrakers 1001 series?

How are you guys studying for the exam. This is my first to take the Mcat. I think the exam is more of critical thinking. Do any of you use examkrakers 1001 series?

I use them to go over any area that I am struggling with, but for the most part I'm just using TBR for practice sets.

Oh,do you think TBR practice tests are closer to the actual test than Kaplan and Princeton review teats? I am planning to use their practice test.

Oh,do you think TBR practice tests are closer to the actual test than Kaplan and Princeton review teats? I am planning to use their practice test.

I'm using the Sn2ed study schedule, which is a sticky in this forum. I haven't taken the test so I can only go off what I read and hear, but it sounds like having a good mix and a schedule are key.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 7 weeks through the mcatforme 3 month schedule. Anyone else feel like mucking through the physics chapters is torture? I'm mostly using exam krackers and TPR books, but idk if the EK 101 verbal passages is enough practice :scared: If anyone's got any suggestions on supplemental verbal books I'd appreciate it. Good luck to everybody aiming for that 30+ score!

I think that I should switch to TBR practice tests. People say that Mcat is having more of experimental passages. I am have difficulties with interpreting datas and tables on mcat practice tests. How do you think I can improve on this? Can you recommend any book or online sources? Any idea. Thanks.

I'm 7 weeks through the mcatforme 3 month schedule. Anyone else feel like mucking through the physics chapters is torture? I'm mostly using exam krackers and TPR books, but idk if the EK 101 verbal passages is enough practice :scared: If anyone's got any suggestions on supplemental verbal books I'd appreciate it. Good luck to everybody aiming for that 30+ score!

If you can get a hold of the Hyperlearning Verbal book from princeton review, I would recommend using that for more verbal practice.

First time taker here. Doing my own version of the SN2ed. How long are you guys studying for????

I am still registered for Aug 3'rd but am really feeling the heat. Don't think I will be prepared to face this monster by then, so am thinking of changing the date to Aug 28. Hopefully, that will give me some extra time to get ready. Most probably I will have to do that. Working a full time job with MCAT study is the hardest, darndest, most stressful thing I have ever done in my life!

Was wondering if any of you have thoughts on this question. Q: 49 in TBR page 147 of Bio Part 2 Molecular Bio book. So how the hell did they calculate those numbers based on pka1, pka2, pka3 values. Histidine + Aspartic Acid (pH = 4.5) , Cystein + Tyrosine (pH = 9.2), Arginine + Lysine (pH = 11.65), Lysine + Cysteine (pH = 9.6).. There is no explanation given as to how they are getting those values. They just say, take the average, well the average don't give those numbers as they claim.....anyways....just thought I would ask for help on this one.....

Was wondering if any of you have thoughts on this question. Q: 49 in TBR page 147 of Bio Part 2 Molecular Bio book. So how the hell did they calculate those numbers based on pka1, pka2, pka3 values. Histidine + Aspartic Acid (pH = 4.5) , Cystein + Tyrosine (pH = 9.2), Arginine + Lysine (pH = 11.65), Lysine + Cysteine (pH = 9.6).. There is no explanation given as to how they are getting those values. They just say, take the average, well the average don't give those numbers as they claim.....anyways....just thought I would ask for help on this one.....

From the passage, right above the table, it states optimal operating pH depends on the pKa of the side chain, which is stated in table 2 as pKa3. I am sure the rest will make sense after pointing this out.

From the passage, right above the table, it states optimal operating pH depends on the pKa of the side chain, which is stated in table 2 as pKa3. I am sure the rest will make sense after pointing this out.
Thanks bud. I will look it up tonight. TBR is killing me.....but I love it.....

Damn!!! how much time I wasted on this question. I curse myself for missing that line. Thanks for pointing it out. They averaged the pKa3 values for the amino acid pairs. The reason I got confused is that pH of an amino acid such as Aspartic Acid since it is acidic will be (2.0+3.9)/2 = 3.0 and Histidine since it is basic it will be (9.2+6.0)/2 = 7.6 ..... so if we average (3.0+7.6)/2 = 5.3 , which is nowhere close to 4.95 as the book claims. And likewise if you do this for other pairs, none of those will be same as the book says. But the passage also says, 'the optimal operating pH of an enzyme therefore depends on the pKa values of the amino acid side chains' . And I totally missed this line in reading the passage.

Anyways, I understand it now....... Thanks for pointing that out.....

No problem. Better to get these mistakes out of the way now. Only about 8 weeks to go!

Anybody focussing totally on TBR? Just wondering.....

I suppose all you guys are done with your application process.....correct?

Last edited:
TBR Bio is brutal. I read chapters Metabolic Pathways and Metabolic Components........and did the passage based questions......and in one I got 26/50 and the other I got 23/50. I always do the first 50 queestions without timing, and the rest with timing. I will definitely not remember all those enzymes and breakdown of the reactions step wise. I was hoping though that I could understand conceptually and differentiate between lyase, ligase, isomerase, hydrolase etc., and their action based on bonds breaking and forming, but that too, seems difficult.

I do Verbal everyday......

I am getting burned out on the TBR Verbal. With Kaplan at least I could see a progress from 6 slowly to 9 but with TBR it is mostly 7 and 8. I alternate between VR test and Kaplan QBank (30 or 40 questions) each day before departing for work but this morning, I stopped the clock after psg 4 and said f-it. I lost focus and every psg was a drag. I don't know why. I started seriously but.....I guess......well, I dunno. Like I said, just burnt out.....I am fine with BS and PS, at least they are interesting......

Hi Guys, I had some doubts in TBR Bio book 2, which I posted on MCAT Q&A thread. Was wondering if you don't mind, I am posting it here as well, although this is technically not a question thread. Let me know otherwise.....

1) Take a look at Passage 5 based on Calvin cycle, page 237 in TBR book 2, question 25 in particular. The ans for this question is given as B. Is that correct? The water molecules are not balanced in choice B. Ans C, which I choose has the water molecules balanced but ATP molecules are not balanced. But the book choose B, based on ATP units, not sure why. I apologize to those who don't have TBR. This particular passage has diagrams and big equations.

2) Q: 36 on page 240, TBR Book 2 Bio. Where is the enzyme lactase secreted during digestion, in lactose intolerant individuals. A) The mouth, B) The Stomach C) The Small Intestine D) The Colon. Ans given is C. --- Is it not true that if a person is Lactose intolerant, they lack Lactase and Lactose gets broken by Bacteria in the colon, which gives rise to flatulence. In that case, shouldn't the ans be D ?

3) Q: 10 on page 232. TBR Book 2 Bio.

Delta G = - :thumbdown:(F)(Delta E)
Fumurate + 2h + 2e ---------> Succinate Delta E = +0.03
FAD + 2h + 2e ---------> FADH2 Delta E = -0.22

We can conclude that reaction involving conversion of "Succinate to Fumurate"
A) Delta G = -0.5(F)
B) Delta G = +0.5(F)
C) Delta G = +0.1(F)
D) Delta G = -0.1(F)

The ans given is B. I think the ans should be A, not B. At least from the equations above, that is what I can think of. If you reverse the first eqn and multiply both eqn by 2 and add em up, you should get Succinate to Fumarate. And if you do all of that, you get -0.5, not +0.5. I have a huge confusion regarding this, so needed another pair of eyes to look at it.

i'll be done with content review by the end of this week ( so freaking excited) , and i'm planning to start taking full lengths the following monday. i've been doing content/practice questions since late may. i'm using the princeton review set and i love it!

43 more days.. woohooo!

Has anybody taken the AAMC self assesment yet? Wondering if I could buy just the verbal self assesment?

Wow!!! The 2015 MCAT format looks like a major pain in the posterior. The Verbal section is gone. There are 4 sections. Time allotted for each section is 95 mins. The last one is 90 mins. Anyways. reading the July 13 thread, it might be good to read the 2015 MCAT guide and questions on Pschycology, Sociology section.........for our Aug 28'th tryst with destiny.......

Test is in a month. Are you guys ready?!?!??!
Doing TBR over here and have Bio and Phy knocked out pretty much. Orgo and Chem are almost half way through. Will be starting with AAMC exams shortly. How about you?

BS and PS have been pretty solid for me in the first few AAMC exams. Verbal is holding me back though. Im spending the month reviewing some some bio and phy and going HARD on verbal

Wow!!! The 2015 MCAT format looks like a major pain in the posterior. The Verbal section is gone. There are 4 sections. Time allotted for each section is 95 mins. The last one is 90 mins. Anyways. reading the July 13 thread, it might be good to read the 2015 MCAT guide and questions on Pschycology, Sociology section.........for our Aug 28'th tryst with destiny.......

No kidding, the new MCAT looks like a f**k*** b***h !!!!!

just took the free TPR online test.. got PS6/VR6/BS10.. how am I looking? still not done content..worried about verbal though

Chronic postponer over here, originally started off on August 9th, now scheduled for August 28th. Finishing content review next week then 3 weeks of FLs. Can't wait till this is over.

How many hours are you guys clocking in a day studying? Just out of curiosity.

I try to get 8 hours a day but id say that I have averaged 6-7 hours a day over the course of studying. I am trying to go all day during this last month

just took the free TPR online test.. got PS6/VR6/BS10.. how am I looking? still not done content..worried about verbal though

Once you finish content review, your PS section should be pretty straight. Might need to do a bit of practice to get use to the section though. Your Bio is pretty straight. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Verbal

I try to get 8 hours a day but id say that I have averaged 6-7 hours a day over the course of studying. I am trying to go all day during this last month

Yeah same here, I'm around 5-8 per day. I get burned out by the end of the day though, sometimes I watch a movie or go to the gym to unwind.

Once you finish content review, your PS section should be pretty straight. Might need to do a bit of practice to get use to the section though. Your Bio is pretty straight. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Verbal

thanks man. i was worried that a score of 22 is too low.. i only have a month to get it up. im aiming for at least a 30. i wasnt sure how the TPR scale compares to AAMC. im going to try to take aamc 3 this weekend

Is it me or are these august days quickly passing?? Also, how are you guys memorizing equations?

So I was planing on the 28th. Took #7 last week and got 30. This week took #8 and got a 27 by getting destroyed on bio. Now I'm debating whether or not to push it back....

So I was planing on the 28th. Took #7 last week and got 30. This week took #8 and got a 27 by getting destroyed on bio. Now I'm debating whether or not to push it back....

In my opinion, 8 is one of the hardest one. Don't get discouraged.

Was wondering if I can get some insights into a question in TBR that has puzzled me off. The passage is based on mass spectrometer. The question is # 41 and the page is 159 physics part 2.

The passage is on Mass Spectrometer and the diagram shows 2 regions 1 (velocity selector) and region 2 (deflection). The question specifically mentions cations accelerated in region 1 from left to right and then they get deflected in region 2. The battery connections show + (Cathode) connected to one of the parallel plates and - (anode) connected to another end. The anode end is closer to region 2 and has a small hole through which these particle enter region 2. The Cathode is on the left side and Anode is on the right side. And the direction of cations moving is from Cathode to Anode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: To accelerate anion particles from left to right in Region 1, and deflect those particles out of the page in Region 2, how must the E and B fields be aligned in Figure 1.

a) Anode plate left, cathode plate right, B field up
b) Anode plate left, cathode plate right, B field down
c) Anode plate right, cathode plate left, B field up
d) Anode plate right, cathode plate left, B field down

The Ans given is d). The explanation is - Anion particle migrate from the Cathode to anode in uniform electric field, so in order to accelerate the anionic particles from left to right, the anode must be on the right side and cathode must be on the left side as in Region 1.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My confusion is, Anion particle are negatively charged. Right? How the hell do they migrate cathode(+) to anode(-) in uniform electric field ??? Beats me....I guess....