The Official August 3rd, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sydela

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I switched my exam date from 23rd May to this date. Currently pursuing my masters and its been eating up the bulk of my time. Anyone else signed up for this date?

Members don't see this ad.

No word on the trial scores or giftcard yet for me :( I know someone who took the test in July and got theirs after 2 1/2 weeks!

OMG...one more week guys :eek:!!!! Any word on the amazon gift cards yet?

Still haven't received anything....I got my gift card much earlier last time I tested in April. I actually made a reasonable effort on this test, unlike April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a friend who took the test 7/26 and he said he didn't get his email about the trial section until 5 days before his scores were released. So that should be pretty close for us.

Had a friend who took the test 7/26 and he said he didn't get his email about the trial section until 5 days before his scores were released. So that should be pretty close for us.

Just got the email this afternoon as a matter of fact. Answered 63% of the trial section correctly. Unfortunately, this is probably better than I did on the actual exam.

Got the gift card, only scored 41%, up three points from 38% from my first attempt. I expected a higher percentage, considering you should automatically get 25% correct just by clicking the mouse with your eyes closed. I hope that isn't an indication of the score that actually matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice average 12/11/14 37

12 V/12 PS /15 BS. 39 SO HAPPY :D

Hopefully everyone else had good luck as well!:D

29 total - 12 VR, 9 BS and 8 PS. Not what I was hoping for when I started studying but I will certainly take it now. I know the BS and especially PS are a little low. I already plan to go strong after DO, but do I still have a shot at some MDs?

29 total - 12 VR, 9 BS and 8 PS. Not what I was hoping for when I started studying but I will certainly take it now. I know the BS and especially PS are a little low. I already plan to go strong after DO, but do I still have a shot at some MDs?
Depending how strong everything else is and what state you live in, you definitely could.

9's and 10's with the sciences. 7 in VR. I could never figure it out... There's a language to verbal reasoning that I'm not fluent in.

Man, it would be such a much more competitive score if VR was up. I have a 3.88 science GPA and 5yrs paramedic experience with countless volunteer hours. But VR just, well, killed me.

9's and 10's with the sciences. 7 in VR. I could never figure it out... There's a language to verbal reasoning that I'm not fluent in.

Man, it would be such a much more competitive score if VR was up. I have a 3.88 science GPA and 5yrs paramedic experience with countless volunteer hours. But VR just, well, killed me.

I feel your pain. With very minimal VR practice I scored an 8 in that section on my first MCAT. Then I studied all summer doing as many passages and FL's as I could, and went into my exam again with an AAMC VR average of..... 8. At this point though I did the best I could and whatever happens happens. Given the unpredictablility and harsh curve of VR I'm afraid I scored a 5-6, so getting an 8 on the real thing would be a win for me.

You took the AUG 3rd? What did you get buddy??

VR. Blagh. Congrats to the guy above who scored a 39. Take yourself somewhere nice to eat tonight

The amount of stress that I put on myself seems silly now after getting that score back.

33 (11's across the board)

The August 3rd exam was a retake for me. I took the June 20th exam and got totally rocked by a really hard ps section, despite feeling prepared. I studied only ps for three weeks before the August 3rd exam.

AAMC Average (last 3): 34 with approximate breakdown of 12 PS, 10VR, 12BS
June 20th MCAT: 29 with a breakdown of 9 PS, 8 VR, 12BS
August 3rd MCAT: 33 with a breakdown of 13PS, 10VR, 10BS

I'm a little disappointed with the drop in BS, but overall happy with my score and thrilled to be done!
Congrats to everyone who is happy with their score. To those who aren't, don't give up!

I'm a first time test taker, and felt like test anxiety really worked me over. I had a 31 avg over all AAMC practice test. I knew the content, but ended up getting an 18. I'm at a loss, I've never made that bad on any practice test. Depression has set in.

Good luck o grady. Just another week or so an you'll know what's up.

Chop2000. That's rough man, sorry to hear that. That test is no joke, It's a hard test. I prob won't get it with my 25, so you and I are in the same mess buddy. So we try again.

I'm a first time test taker, and felt like test anxiety really worked me over. I had a 31 avg over all AAMC practice test. I knew the content, but ended up getting an 18. I'm at a loss, I've never made that bad on any practice test. Depression has set in.

Good news = 31+ AAMC practice test average

Bad news = 18 on real test

I think your in a great situation compared to others. Getting a 31 once is not an accident, but 31 average is definitely not luck. Clearly, you understand much of the necessary subjects required to succeed. You need to work on your test taking skills.

For some friendly advice...

First, answer all the easy questions first. If you don't know what to do after 15-20 seconds on a question, then skip it and come back if you have time (two possible values for each question, counts as +1 or practice question for future tests). I did this on my test. Did I have time to come back to the questions wasn't sure on? No and there were at least 10+ questions I completely guessed on for the physical sciences section. Its ok to miss questions (as long as your not shooting for a 45). You can miss many more questions on the actual MCAT than practice and still get the same score.

You have the knowledge base, work on your test taking strategy and try again.

good luck to you

31 avg -> 18 on the real one seems like a serious panic attack or some sort of psychological distress rather than the test simply being harder, OP being unlucky

Good luck o grady. Just another week or so an you'll know what's up.

Chop2000. That's rough man, sorry to hear that. That test is no joke, It's a hard test. I prob won't get it with my 25, so you and I are in the same mess buddy. So we try again.

chris your post made me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWjtnKv4vE

A poor MCAT score will pretty much haunt you for the rest of your life, during application process, no matter what your following score is ?

A poor MCAT score will pretty much haunt you for the rest of your life, during application process, no matter what your following score is ?

If you're applying with a poor score then yes, it will hurt you. If you're applying with a much better "following" score then not necessarily. If you score 30+, I think you'll be fine.

Edit: Seems like English is your second language. If you're applying as an international student, then you'll want it to be higher.

This is late, but after the exam I thought I ****ed up beyond all belief.

PS: I got caught up on one or two of the physics-based that really threw me. I spent way too much time, had only 5 mins to do the last two passages (on both chemistry, which I KNOW I would've done well in, given I had the time).
VR: Like someone said above, I'm not familiar with whatever language they speak it for VR passages. Something just doesn't register with me. Same thing happened, lost focus/time and had to do a passage in like 3 minutes, guessing on everything.
BS: Was surprised at all the organic on there, straight up memorization/facts. One particular passage was killer for me.

Total: PS: 10, VR:6, BS:10

Very surprised at all three scores, as I thought it was across the board BAD.
Planning on retaking in January, hoping to practice (practice practice!) VR, and maintain the 10s in the sciences.

I guess my own advice (to future me) is to not write yourself off too quickly. And to speed the F*CK up!!!!!!!!!!

Also i forgot to mention, I am an IDIOT and left the testing center (for some fresh air for literally 60 seconds) after the PS break. So of course, they told me they would have to notify AAMC and might void my score. Not saying my VR score is justified, but it certainly didn't help me with stress-management!