The official BCPS Guidelines/Tips...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please share your experiences with BCPS process/exam. In particular, please share your tips/hint, what kind of questions will be expected on the exam. Which book should I read to prepare? Which subjects should we focus on? Etc...Thanks so much. I will be taking the Spring Exam, thus I am here looking for previous experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Please share your experiences with BCPS process/exam. In particular, please share your tips/hint, what kind of questions will be expected on the exam. Which book should I read to prepare? Which subjects should we focus on? Etc...Thanks so much. I will be taking the Spring Exam, thus I am here looking for previous experiences.
Statistics is 20-30% of the exam. You can get by as a clinical genius who doesn't know stats, but you can also get by as a pretty competent clinician if you ace the stats. Learn the hell out of that section because the rest can be anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the prep course and know your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering if high yield med review course is helpful? I've seen the advertising very appealing..

Looking at doing this in the next year or two. Any recommended resources that really cover the stats well?

For statistics, I recommend the book "Clinical Pharmacists' Guide to Biostatistics and Literature Evaluation." The chapters themselves weren't particulary useful (They're too long, and the explanations are confusing.), but the practice questions at the end of each chapter are wonderful. Just work through the practice questions, and for the ones you got wrong (which will be a lot of them), figure out why, and study your notes frequently. The questions are difficult, especially for the later chapters, but if you can do them, you'll be fine.

For the clinical sections, I only used the ACCP prep course. Most of the time, I just took notes from the lecture (with slides), not the book chapters, although I still skimmed the book chapter and did the assessment questions to help identify significant topics that weren't covered in the lecture.

You need to know drug interactions. You should already have a solid base of knowledge in this area, but consider coming up with some mental system (mnemonics or whatever you have to do) to make sure you have all the major drug interactions down pat.

Even after going through the regulatory chapter twice and studying a considerable amount of outside materials, there were still more than a few regulatory questions on the exam I had no clue about. I don't know what to tell you.

ACCP's mock exam is considerably more difficult than the real exam. Don't panic when you feel like an idiot going through the mock exam for the first time.

Last edited:
I am appreciative of these recs as I too am sitting for the Spring exam! Struggling big time with regulatory chapters/managing a clinical practice/econ outcomes. Ugh. #badidea #wishmeluck