the official COMAT shelf thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surgery COMAT on Friday. Haven't been able to study very much at all this month so I fully expect for this will be the exam equivalent of me yelling "Kobe!" and throwing up a fading 40 footer lol
Mine was more focused on management of the post-surgical patient especially with regards to the 4 (or 5?) F's from OME. didn't get alot of gas questions.

Some indication for surgery/type of surgery based on patient presentation (if they're hemodynamically unstable will it change your surgical approach kinds of questions).

Members don't see this ad.

Just took IM shelf yesterday. Decent reflection of uworld I guess. There were 3-ish questions where knowing omm would have been helpful. Also some very vague questions that made me wonder if the question writer understands what they’re even asking.

So not too bad *knock on wood*.
Quoting last weeks post for reference. Got a 118 on the IM comat. Doing the uworld cards in Dorian was a godsend. Only did maybe 300 actual uworld questions. There’s also some great videos on medcram that I used for some pulm stuff since step 2 takes pulm phys a little farther than step 1. I imagine their other videos are good too...and it’s free.

keep grinding y’all!

Reactions: 4 users
fak I missed honors by 2 points :(

EDIT: if I don't honor the rotation I'm planning on going into, does it look bad? (surgery btw)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is honor's at everyone's school. I was just made aware its VERY different to get honors at each school. Mine is a 110+

What is honor's at everyone's school. I was just made aware its VERY different to get honors at each school. Mine is a 110+
It changes at my school due to "magic" but you had to get 115+ on a particular rotation to get honors and none of the others are that high. Very strange and no explanation of course.

Should edit to say you need honors eval as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just the overall score of your eval and your comat score. If you get a perfect eval, I think you can even get like a 90 comat and still get honors. 3rd year is nonsense.

20% of the rotation grade is COMAT score, 50% is eval, and the other 30% is easy points like OMT assignments, quiz, and case logs which you pretty much get full credit on for doing.

COMAT score is calculated as your raw score minus 10. So an 80 on COMAT gets recorded as a 70 on your grade (minimum to "pass the COMAT"), a 105 as a 95 and a 110 or above is just 100 in the grade book.

To honor you need an overall score of 95%, with at least a 90% on both the eval and COMAT. So getting a 105 or above on COMAT means you need at least a 92% on the eval. Likewise a 100 (graded as a 90%) on the COMAT means you need at least a 94% on the eval. Obviously a 110+ on COMAT gives us the most wiggle room for evals which can drop to 90% to honor.

Honestly, the evals usually screw more people than anything since its so luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Somehow honored the surgery COMAT... I have no idea how lol. All I did was study up on all my patients throughout the rotation and all the COMBANK and COMQUEST questions the last week.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
IM COMAT this Friday. Any tips or things I should focus on? Did all the conquest question and like 400 UW IM questions. Also been doing the Dorian deck but not close to finishing it. Any Biostats questions on it?

IM COMAT this Friday. Any tips or things I should focus on? Did all the conquest question and like 400 UW IM questions. Also been doing the Dorian deck but not close to finishing it. Any Biostats questions on it?

Do all the combank comat questions.

No biostats.

Are you suggesting this because they already finished comquest or because combank is better?

I can’t really explain it, but I’ve had almost word for word repeats on my comats from COMBANK. I have a theory they have some deal with the NBOME where the NBOME gives them access to their materials or something.

All I know is I’ve done extremely well on the comats I’ve taken and the primary q bank I did for them was COMBANK...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t really explain it, but I’ve had almost word for word repeats on my comats from COMBANK. I have a theory they have some deal with the NBOME where the NBOME gives them access to their materials or something.

All I know is I’ve done extremely well on the comats I’ve taken and the primary q bank I did for them was COMBANK...

Well shoot. I've been using UW and Comquest. But I have my FM shelf in a week. Might need to change my plans and rip through COMBANK for the first time since I took the OPP comat during orientation

Well shoot. I've been using UW and Comquest. But I have my FM shelf in a week. Might need to change my plans and rip through COMBANK for the first time since I took the OPP comat during orientation

I'm not disputing how good COMBANK is because I have heard it is quite good for the COMATs

However, I did very well on the FM COMAT and only used COMQUEST and the Dorian FM deck. I did all of the COMQUEST questions within 3 days prior to the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not disputing how good COMBANK is because I have heard it is quite good for the COMATs

However, I did very well on the FM COMAT and only used COMQUEST and the Dorian FM deck. I did all of the COMQUEST questions within 3 days prior to the exam.

Thank you sir. I'm going to still try and rip through COMBANK this weekend, I believe it's not much more than 100 q's. But that definitely eases me because all I have done thus far is Dorian's deck and COMQUEST.

Are you guys ignoring UW to do these questions? I'm using UW because I won't have any time at the end of the year. I'm honoring shelves so I guess I'm going to stay the course.

Are you guys ignoring UW to do these questions? I'm using UW because I won't have any time at the end of the year. I'm honoring shelves so I guess I'm going to stay the course.

Not yet. I front loaded my schedule so I’m planning on doing it twice in the spring.

Not yet. I front loaded my schedule so I’m planning on doing it twice in the spring.
Ok. My back half is straight clinic hell so it's less hours but also more exhausting and tedious. I don't think I could handle doing it twice then.

I've only been through 2 rotations that coincide with sections in UWorld. I did most of the Ob/Gyn questions and around 400 of the IM questions. I will try to do all of the questions when I'm in each rotation and I'll try to finish IM throughout my electives. My hope is to have been through it once by the time dedicated starts.

I've used UW as my bank for OB, Peds, and Psych. Using COMQUEST and now the COMBANK for the FM and EM ones. Might try to add some of them into the other rotations (surg, IM).

My spring semester only has two comats (surg and IM) so I planned on finishing up UW doing that and then resetting it in May right after IM is over and starting dedicated right then.

Just found this thread! I have my psych COMAT in 2 weeks, haven’t done much but watch half the OME videos. For those who have taken it already, will Emma Holliday, COMQUEST, and skimming through FA be good enough? FWIW, I got a 124 on IM, 120 on surgery by doing mainly comquest, Emma, OME. I honestly felt like I bombed both exams leaving the testing center so I’d like to feel a little more confident in my prep this time around haha. Thanks guys!

Know bread and butter stuff like glomerulonephritis, HBV. UW for COMAT is overkill. I did like 600 questions and it didn’t feel like it helped. I wish I did more COMQUEST or Kaplan because that’s the level of question you get.

Just found this thread! I have my psych COMAT in 2 weeks, haven’t done much but watch half the OME videos. For those who have taken it already, will Emma Holliday, COMQUEST, and skimming through FA be good enough? FWIW, I got a 124 on IM, 120 on surgery by doing mainly comquest, Emma, OME. I honestly felt like I bombed both exams leaving the testing center so I’d like to feel a little more confident in my prep this time around haha. Thanks guys!

First Aid Psych and whatever question bank you have.

Took IM COMAT the other day. Seemed fair. COMQUEST def covered all the topics. VERY micro heavy (20is questions at least). I did Dorian deck (not all just stuff random stuff), all conquest IM and like 300-400 UW IM. Also did 2 NMBE practice exams. No clue how I did. Def passed but doubt I honored it (I'll let ya know). I watched OME the day before and I think that was the move. Info was way more fresh and got like 3-4 questions right bc of videos I watched the day of. So I'm gunna start waiting until right before to watch OME and do Anki and question leading up.

What's the consensus for the EM comat? For someone that does anki that is. No real shelf-specific decks out there. I have it starting in a week from now and I'm trying to figure out how to tackle the studying. As of now, just the COMBANK and COMQUEST questions which comes out to 425 questions. Any of the textbooks worth it?

117 on IM COMAT. Did all of comquest, 400 uworld questions, tzanki, and the Dorian IM OME deck.

Can anyone please share a tried and true "must do" things before COMATS in general? Am I correct assuming that on average some Qbank, OME videos, and some Anki deck like Dorian should be enough to pass COMATs? What about books (Blueprints, Case Files, SUTM etc)?
P.S. I'm a bottom 10% student, level 1 460, so I really struggle with finding proper resources to be honest. I appreciate your help!

Can anyone please share a tried and true "must do" things before COMATS in general? Am I correct assuming that on average some Qbank, OME videos, and some Anki deck like Dorian should be enough to pass COMATs? What about books (Blueprints, Case Files, SUTM etc)?
P.S. I'm a bottom 10% student, level 1 460, so I really struggle with finding proper resources to be honest. I appreciate your help!

Yeah basically that recipe has done me well. Scored average on all my comats so far. I use UW and Comquest and then combank in the days before the exam. For anki I use Tzanki except for FM I used Dorians FM deck . I watch OME videos in the days leading up to the exam so they stay fresh. Passive watching at the end of the days. Books are variable. Case files are decent in my opinion but I've found that I just don't have much time to read a bunch of books on top of everything else. But that might just be me.

If you decide to start an anki deck for third year I recommend you keep up with the decks that you complete for the whole year so each rotation stays relevant prior to taking step 2/level 2. Or otherwise you're not getting much out of it.

Last edited:
Going into this EM COMAT blind, haven’t studied a blink and burned out af. Just finished 6 nights in a row, slept for 30 hours straight and have norovirus. ****ing fabulous.

Super glad I went to medical school

For those that have been scoring above >100 and even >110, what scores have you gotten in your qbank or is it ok to just focus on why you got things wrong?

For those that have been scoring above >100 and even >110, what scores have you gotten in your qbank or is it ok to just focus on why you got things wrong?

On the COMAT combank questions it’s about a 65-75% first pass rate and for the Level 2 COMBANK and COMQUEST questions it’s about 75-80%.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the COMAT combank questions it’s about a 65-75% first pass rate and for the Level 2 COMBANK and COMQUEST QUESTIONS it’s about 75-80%.
I'll second this, 75-80% TrueLearn

COMQUEST - 75-80%
UWorld - 70-75%

They are up for me. Took IM COMAT last Friday.

Got a 117 on the FM comat. Have no clue how I did that well. The entire thing was an absolute dumpster fire of non specific nonsense. I almost ran out of time bc I wrote so many challenges to those garbage questions. Heck, one question literally had three correct answers! I can’t believe these things actually matter. Scoring that well was more luck than ability.

I used Dorians deck but honestly the most useful thing was just what little was left in the step 1 tank.

Half way through 3rd year y’all. Happy holidays!

Got a 117 on the FM comat. Have no clue how I did that well. The entire thing was an absolute dumpster fire of non specific nonsense. I almost ran out of time bc I wrote so many challenges to those garbage questions. Heck, one question literally had three correct answers! I can’t believe these things actually matter. Scoring that well was more luck than ability.

I used Dorians deck but honestly the most useful thing was just what little was left in the step 1 tank.

Half way through 3rd year y’all. Happy holidays!
Bruh I got a 104 on my FM COMAT. So bummed, 6 points now makes my rotation a P despite all 5’s and a stellar write up in my eval. I could have had all 2’s and an 80 on my COMAT and it would translate to the SAME grade. Maddening.
Also I did all of Comquest and Combank plus the OME FM schedule. I think my testing skills just aren’t up to snuff in order to crack 111 on these damn things.

Bruh I got a 104 on my FM COMAT. So bummed, 6 points now makes my rotation a P despite all 5’s and a stellar write up in my eval. I could have had all 2’s and an 80 on my COMAT and it would translate to the SAME grade. Maddening.
Also I did all of Comquest and Combank plus the OME FM schedule. I think my testing skills just aren’t up to snuff in order to crack 111 on these damn things.
It was straight garbage and in no way reflective of hardly anything. Try not to get too down about it.

Did well on step 1 (240) and ok on level 1 (550) but I'm getting absolutely destroyed by COMATs, 87 on psych, 95 on surgery, 96 on EM. This has me worried for Step 2/level 2.

I have been doing COMBANK (trash), COMQUEST (also feel like it's trash lol) and UW as well as some case files for each rotation, but I feel like when I get to the COMAT exam the questions are so fukin random I don't even know what else I could be studying. Any advice? thanks

Did well on step 1 (240) and ok on level 1 (550) but I'm getting absolutely destroyed by COMATs, 87 on psych, 95 on surgery, 96 on EM. This has me worried for Step 2/level 2.

I have been doing COMBANK (trash), COMQUEST (also feel like it's trash lol) and UW as well as some case files for each rotation, but I feel like when I get to the COMAT exam the questions are so fukin random I don't even know what else I could be studying. Any advice? thanks
First comats are random crap exams so this makes it harder but here is what I did. Got >130 on all except ob and omm from this

UWORLD for all blocks
Pestana for surg + uworld
IM is just do uworld I mean 1400 IM questions is more than enough
OB- just did uworld
OMM- didn’t study for it
FM- uworld peds and IM and ob review
Psych- first aid for psych and uworld
Peds- peds uworld and read up on pts

• Wow
First comats are random crap exams so this makes it harder but here is what I did. Got >130 on all except ob and omm from this

UWORLD for all blocks
OB- just did uworld
OMM- didn’t study for it
The fact that you hit 130+ on any COMAT doing UW alone means you’re clearly more than just a hard worker. You have to be a freaking master at exams and sitting on absolutely crushing step 1 knowledge to hit those numbers. Combank and Comquest suck, but they are the closest thing anyone can get to reasonable examples of COMAT questions. I did all of UW for OB and got an 87, have completely focused on Combank/Comquest and been just shy of 111 on every test since. For any future readers... Uworld is for Step 2, but it’s miles from any of the trash on the COMAT exams.

The fact that you hit 130+ on any COMAT doing UW alone means you’re clearly more than just a hard worker. You have to be a freaking master at exams and sitting on absolutely crushing step 1 knowledge to hit those numbers. Combank and Comquest suck, but they are the closest thing anyone can get to reasonable examples of COMAT questions. I did all of UW for OB and got an 87, have completely focused on Combank/Comquest and been just shy of 111 on every test since. For any future readers... Uworld is for Step 2, but it’s miles from any of the trash on the COMAT exams.

it may have just been the test forms I got.I took my surg comat withen 2 weeks of level 2. Got in 130s. Thengot two SD below avg on surg on level two. Just to let people know how crap these tests are

it may have just been the test forms I got.I took my surg comat withen 2 weeks of level 2. Got in 130s. Thengot two SD below avg on surg on level two. Just to let people know how crap these tests are
I didn’t even know they could go that high. Was feeling pretty good beating 115 lol

UWORLD for all blocks
OB- just did uworld
OMM- didn’t study for it
Agree that its random crap. I did everything that you mentioned for Psych and even more (also did truelearn + anki for psych) and yet i got only 100 (unlike your >130). So it makes me think it's not only about random crap, but also about how good you are and how perfect ace your test game. I'm clearly nowhere as good as you. Basically, what i mean is that let's face it: it's not about resources (it is to some degree of course) or any other little secret anki deck or such lol, it's just about simple forgotten facts (at least here on sdn) that we are all different and some of us are more crappy or less stellar.

UWORLD for all blocks
OB- just did uworld
OMM- didn’t study for it
This is bad advice. Uworld is NOT the best resource for comats, almost everyone at my school agreed that it was great for step 2 and really awful for comats. Your ability to score at the 100th percentile speaks more to your test taking ability and less to the resources you used. Congrats on being a genius.

This is bad advice. Uworld is NOT the best resource for comats, almost everyone at my school agreed that it was great for step 2 and really awful for comats. Your ability to score at the 100th percentile speaks more to your test taking ability and less to the resources you used. Congrats on being a genius.
I can’t conjure up knowledge from nowhere. If people think uworld is a poor resource it is due to them forgetting not to the resource itself

uworld has >3000 questions now and most content covered in comats is on it. Besides the random oddball questions you can’t prep for or maybe might pick up in Comquest. But uworld is enough for most people to do decently and honestly to get that extra 5 points on comat who would want to finger thru 400 or however many questions are on comat banks.

they have changed the format since I took them last year though so I don’t know if they made them more obscure or what. Knowing the Nbome anything is possible

Last edited: