**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Braluk great post!!

Here's my situation.

MCAT
april 2005 6P 5V 9B 20J
August 2006 9P 6V 7B 22L
August 2006 10P 6V 11B 27L

GPA
Cu: 3.67
BCMP 3.9

Apply to 40 schools for 2007, no interview yet

If I don't get in this year, then my only solution is to retake MCAT? I really don't want to retake MCAT to pull up verbal (afraid i will go down on other sections)

How about post bac or SMP? (would be a waste? cuz my BCMP is 3.9)

Thanks
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kevinvo, an SMP is not the solution for you. You only issue is the MCAT. You do have a rising trend in your scores, but you're going to need to hit the magic 28 and above mark (with a verbal at an 8 or above). Seeing that this would be your fourth time retaking the MCAT, you're going to want to hit a 30 or above (just rough figures, the application process is a random one, but on your fourth try, most adcoms will probably want to see results, namely a 30 or higher, and 10's across the board, anything else may force them to question your ability to grasp the basic sciences covered in the MCAT). Drexel, does have a postbac/SMP type program designed for students to retake all their prereqs and incorporate MCAT components into it as well, but that isnt your main issue. Have you taken test prep courses? Is it a grasp of the material? Test anxiety? It seems that your writing/reading comprehension scores seem to be the main issue. If thats the case, Im sure Kaplan or PR can help out, or you can find ways to really improve certain sections. Visit the MCAT forum and seek advice there- there are many advisors and posters there that are better suited to help guide you to improve your MCAT.

hey braluk, i appreciate the heads up...i am almost positive ill pursue an SMP program...my overall gpa is a 3.2 and from everything i have heard, the UC SMP program will be a good choice for me...i wanted to ask you, with regards to transport\housing, how much should i budget myself for the time in cincinatti (housing/expenses included)..also do you feel a car is necessary?

lastly, is it normal for UC SMP students (maybe SMP students in general) to apply to medical school before/during the actual Masters program? I was under the impression that you had to wait until you received all your grades. Just as an aside, have you applied to any NY State medical schools?

continued good luck man,

rk

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know of any worthy post-bac programs that start in the spring semester (i.e. january)? i'll be graduating fall '07 and i'll be free that spring semester. any ideas besides working, research, etc.?

I am going to look into this. My GPA Fall 2006 semester was 3.0, which bring up my gpa to over 2.7 Anyway, I am going to apply to these program. And then, just apply to medical school. I am afraid to take the MCAT.

Dear braluk,

Thank you for this initiative as well as for your sincere willingness to help.

I am graduate MD, I graduated some 10 years ago from a foreign medical school, (So I think that's one criterion for SMP fulfilled?!)

I have applied for a PhD in Cellular and Molecular Medicine in one top University. I am worried though that my profile might not be strong enough:
TOEFL iBT: 103/120
GRE: V510 Q750 AW4.5
GPA: 3.2 (Actually we dont have GPA system, but I converted my 82% score to that)

I presented one paper in an international conference for rehabilitation of the Visually Impaired (Something I am very proud of, but is not related to the field I am applying to)

After this long intro comes my question, in case I am not accepted to Univ, do you think SMP will help my cause?

Thank you in advance for your time and wish you all the best with your studies

UMDJ-Newark offers graduate classes in their medical science classes on a non-matric basis. I'm not sure how many programs offer this option. I believe NYMC also offers evening classes on a non-matric basis.
For some people, such as people in their glide, year this may be an interesting option. If one as a sound record & are interviewing for fall '07 admission, medical physiology at UMDJ, would seem more helpful in the future than say advanced cell bio at Rutgers. Of course, you have to put in the effort to insure you do well.
Does anyone know/ heard abou/ have experience with taking a SMP course as a non-matric.

Does anyone know/ heard abou/ have experience with taking a SMP course as a non-matric.

At Georgetown, you can take med school classes such as gross anatomy, physioloy, biochem etc, during the summer in their summer program. It may be a good option for people who want to "taste" medical school without breaking the bank with an official SMP.

At Georgetown, you can take med school classes such as gross anatomy, physioloy, biochem etc, during the summer in their summer program. It may be a good option for people who want to "taste" medical school without breaking the bank with an official SMP.

It does look like an interesting program. Here's the link to the Georgetown summer program that I believe Slikworm is talking about; http://gsmi.georgetown.edu/
Since, it is open to undergrads, I assume it's for undergrad credit. Does anyone know first or second hand about this Georgetown summer "taste of med" school program?
This program appears to be in contrast to UMDJ Newark where college grads can take real SMP graduate courses as a non-matric.

It does look like an interesting program. Here's the link to the Georgetown summer program that I believe Slikworm is talking about; http://gsmi.georgetown.edu/
Since, it is open to undergrads, I assume it's for undergrad credit. Does anyone know first or second hand about this Georgetown summer "taste of med" school program?
This program appears to be in contrast to UMDJ Newark where college grads can take real SMP graduate courses as a non-matric.

I'm at GU. While I don't have any firsthand info about the program, I might still be able to answer specific questions about it.

Hi,

I recently decided that I want to attend medical school; however, I had no focus or motivation my first three years at UCLA as an undergraduate (Psychobiology M.S. major). My non-science GPA is decent (A's and B's), but my science GPA is pretty low (B's, C's, and one D; I retook the class with a D and received a B). Therefore, my GPA is not as stellar, especially in my sciences (I have around a 2.8 overall, and my sciences GPA is most likely lower than that). I have two quarters left until I graduate to finish all of my pre-med classes, and hope to raise my grades a bit. I am pretty good at standard examinations, and plan on taking the MCATS this summer without distractions; I hope to have my score outshine my GPA. Also, I have had much exposure to the hospital (volunteering, interning, and working for various departments) and have done several on-campus activities (tutoring underprivileged children, involving in a medical program, building homes). I now have much passion to become a pediatrician.

My question is that with all of this, should I still apply this coming Fall to medical schools? (Are there some that are not as competitive, excluding the Carribeans?) Would my MCAT and activities outweigh my low GPA (I heard that medical schools average your MCAT score and GPA into a single number to rank you), or should I look into post-bac/SMP programs to show that I can do well in the sciences? (And what is the difference between post-bac and SMP's?) Or should I retake my science courses at UCLA? I don't want to waste much money, time or energy if it's unnecessary, but I also need to know what the best course is for me. And how should I now schedule everything? (I'm planning to take classes until June and take the MCATS at the end of summer, but I can also take the MCATS at beginning of summer, since my course-load won't be so bad in spring.)

Thanks much for your time!

with a 2.8, Id hold off on applying to medical school until after an SMP. If you can raise your GPA over a 3.0 you'd be eligible for the more competitive SMPs, and then I suggest you apply to medical school. Reason being is that 3.0 is a cutoff for many medical schools (and SMPs as well). Alot of this is contingent on the MCATs too of course. If you score well (30+) and raise your cumulative over a 3.0 I say apply. If you are still under a 3.0 but have a rather high MCAT (35-37+) I say apply. However, I think you'll be at your most competitive if you applied after you finish your SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a 3.35 cumulative gpa, 3.46 sci gpa, 27N mcat (kinesiology major, graduating this year. i think my gpa can go up a little more, almost 3.4 by the time i graduate)

i'm in the process of applying to SMP's right now...i think my gpa is too low to be competitive for med schools and my mcat is definitely too low. how much will an smp help? do you think it's worth it? i've gotten mixed reviews. i also plan on taking the mcat's again this summer but i don't really know how/if i should explain that in my personal statement.

Hmmm.... before I make any decisions, I would seriously consider retaking the MCAT again and raising it. If your MCAT is high enough, you may be able to forgo the SMP route all together. What I would do in your situation is apply to a few SMPs now and plan to retake the MCAT and take it from there. You also dont need to explain taking the mcat again, your personal statement should only concentrate on a few reasons why your grades may not be that high and mostly on why you want to be a doctor

Hmmm.... before I make any decisions, I would seriously consider retaking the MCAT again and raising it. If your MCAT is high enough, you may be able to forgo the SMP route all together. What I would do in your situation is apply to a few SMPs now and plan to retake the MCAT and take it from there. You also dont need to explain taking the mcat again, your personal statement should only concentrate on a few reasons why your grades may not be that high and mostly on why you want to be a doctor

thanks. i really value your advice. i feel that my situation puts me at the inbetween stage where i'm not quite competitive enough, but not quite low enough either for an SMP to really make an impact.

see what i don't understand is that you said earlier 3.6 a competitive gpa for med school but a 3.4 isn't really for someone to go the SMP route? could you elaborate more? when i graduate i 'might' be able to get a 3.4...probably a 3.38 or something...why is SMP not the route to go? other than mcat, which i obviously need to retake, what should i be working on to improve my app? i feel lost as to what would make them go "wow he has a lot to offer".

Well a 3.4 and a high MCAT may be able to offset the avg GPAs schools are looking for. If your ECs and letters are solid, than an SMP may not necessarily be the last path left to go to medical school. Theres also the option of extending your undergraduate career an extra year and bring it up to the coveted 3.6 and save you some $25,000+ a year. If you go through MDapps there have probably been plenty of folks who have been accepted, but only if the rest of their application is solid. ALso, what are the trends in your grades? Are your grades consistently 3.4 all four years? Was it really low in your first or second year while the rest is in the A range? These are some of the factors that you have to consider...ultimately it comes down to your self-asssesment of how competitive an applicant you are. You have to consider if your MCAT and the rest of your application is good enough to make that 3.4 not as a big of an issue.

What i meant with the 3.4 is that, with a 3.4 you have a better shot at getting into medical school than say someone with a 3.0. A 3.4 is in the shorter end of the gray area of a competitive GPA and thus your only option isnt necessarily an SMP, as it was for me.

You have several choices

1) Apply to a few SMPs now, take the MCAT as soon as you can in the spring (if you want to matriculate in August for an SMP). Prepare to take the MCAT in april.
2) Study for your MCAT and take in the summer. Apply to medical schools in the summer as well. Send your scores and see if any medical schools bite. Apply to SMPs next January while medical schools are still deciding on you. With a 3.4 and a good MCAT and application, you might garner a few interviews. If you get accepted, withdraw your SMP applications. If not, proceed to apply to SMPs and send your MCAT scores. Reapply that summer.
3) Extend your undergraduate year an extra year. That is, take the MCAT in the summer or winter. Raise your GPA as much as possible. If you can raise it to a 3.6 you can forgo the whole SMP route.

my trend is pretty good (gpa per semester)
freshman yr - 3.25, 2.94
soph yr - 2.83, 3.57
jr year - 3.7, 3.53
sr yr - 3.75

i don't think i'll have time to prepare for the mcats again in the spring. i won't be able to take it until end of july/early august..i was thinking august 9th but i assumed SMP's didn't start yet. you think SMP's won't let me in with a 27?

with a 2.8, Id hold off on applying to medical school until after an SMP. If you can raise your GPA over a 3.0 you'd be eligible for the more competitive SMPs, and then I suggest you apply to medical school. Reason being is that 3.0 is a cutoff for many medical schools (and SMPs as well). Alot of this is contingent on the MCATs too of course. If you score well (30+) and raise your cumulative over a 3.0 I say apply. If you are still under a 3.0 but have a rather high MCAT (35-37+) I say apply. However, I think you'll be at your most competitive if you applied after you finish your SMP.

Hi braluk,

Thanks much for your help (It's nice of you to take the time out of your day to lend some advice...).

So since I'm currently a senior with a 2.8 GPA (and pretty much took all of the medical school pre-requisites), I definitely should go down the SMP route... I just have some questions with this:

1) I should take classes that raise my GPA to at least a 3.0 in the next two quarters (possibly during summer if necessary)... and it doesn't matter if they are just GPA booster classes (social sciences and humanities) or science classes?
2) I should study for the MCATS during summer and do well (35+)...
3) And only after the above two, I should apply to medical schools and SMPs simultaneously (right after summer and after taking the MCATS)?

Can you provide some advice on the best plan-of-action for me, in terms of when I should do what (MCATS, apply to med schools and SMPs)?

Thanks!!!

my trend is pretty good (gpa per semester)
freshman yr - 3.25, 2.94
soph yr - 2.83, 3.57
jr year - 3.7, 3.53
sr yr - 3.75

i don't think i'll have time to prepare for the mcats again in the spring. i won't be able to take it until end of july/early august..i was thinking august 9th but i assumed SMP's didn't start yet. you think SMP's won't let me in with a 27?
I think you have a pretty good shot given your GPA trend. YOu can definitely get into an SMP somewhere with your stats- try applying and see what happens and then plan on retaking the MCAT again. But just be wary that alot of the competitive ones boast avgs of up to the high 20's and low 30's. (I think my program is somewhere around 31-33) Just remember that you'll need a higher mcat when applying to medical school too. If you plan to apply this upcoming summer, then taking it in the late summer may not be in your best interest.

Hi braluk,

Thanks much for your help (It's nice of you to take the time out of your day to lend some advice...).

So since I'm currently a senior with a 2.8 GPA (and pretty much took all of the medical school pre-requisites), I definitely should go down the SMP route... I just have some questions with this:

1) I should take classes that raise my GPA to at least a 3.0 in the next two quarters (possibly during summer if necessary)... and it doesn't matter if they are just GPA booster classes (social sciences and humanities) or science classes?
2) I should study for the MCATS during summer and do well (35+)...
3) And only after the above two, I should apply to medical schools and SMPs simultaneously (right after summer and after taking the MCATS)?

Can you provide some advice on the best plan-of-action for me, in terms of when I should do what (MCATS, apply to med schools and SMPs)?

Thanks!!!
Well with a 2.8 its goin to be an uphill route. What is your BCMP? If you can, take science courses and boost both your cumulative and your BCMP ONLY if realistically can expect to do better, and do well. If you pull that over a 3.0 I say apply to all the SMPs and apply to medical schools this upcoming summer. This is of course dependent on a great MCAT score. If you cannot pull it over a 3.0 I say hold your applications until after you finish the SMP, as many preallo schools may screen you out automatically with anything under a 3.0. Also, just a reminder, that alot of the competitve programs (University of Cincinnati, Georgetown) have a cutoff of 3.0 as well, so if you can raise your grades with science classes do it. If you don't think you can raise your grades with sciences, add in a few classes that you can realistically expect decent grades out of. good luck!

One additional pt. about GU - While Georgetown does have a 3.0 cutoff, it is possible to get in with less than a 3.0, if it is close and if there is an outstanding MCAT (35+). It does not happen often, but it can happen.

Well with a 2.8 its goin to be an uphill route. What is your BCMP? If you can, take science courses and boost both your cumulative and your BCMP ONLY if realistically can expect to do better, and do well. If you pull that over a 3.0 I say apply to all the SMPs and apply to medical schools this upcoming summer. This is of course dependent on a great MCAT score. If you cannot pull it over a 3.0 I say hold your applications until after you finish the SMP, as many preallo schools may screen you out automatically with anything under a 3.0. Also, just a reminder, that alot of the competitve programs (University of Cincinnati, Georgetown) have a cutoff of 3.0 as well, so if you can raise your grades with science classes do it. If you don't think you can raise your grades with sciences, add in a few classes that you can realistically expect decent grades out of. good luck!

thank you so much for the helpful info!

i was just wondering how the rest of the people in your class are doing in the apps process.. have most had interviews/acceptances?

i am looking to do an smp (i have a low gpa, decent mcat, good ec's) but don't want to take more than one more year before matriculating..

thanks so much for any info!

Hello Braluk
Thanks for all your help in this thread. I was wondering what you would recommend in my situation.

GPA - 3.49, science GPA 3.0
MCAT - 27O , 30P
Research, clinical experiences, volunteer etc..

I've applied last year but am getting alot of Pre-Interview HOLDS.
What woudl you recommend? MPH?, SMP?, PostBach?, Job?

Thanks alot for everything again!

Hello Braluk
Thanks for all your help in this thread. I was wondering what you would recommend in my situation.

MCAT - 27O , 30P

Hello Braluk

MCAT - 27O , 30P

Your MCAT retake seems to be pretty on point. What is the breakdown? Your overall GPA is relatively decent, but your science GPA is probably a cause for concern for adcoms. Are you still in college? Graduated? If you've graduated already, you may want to consider an SMP. Have you finished all your prereqs yet? How were the grades? Whats the GPA breakdown over the years?

i was just wondering how the rest of the people in your class are doing in the apps process.. have most had interviews/acceptances?

i am looking to do an smp (i have a low gpa, decent mcat, good ec's) but don't want to take more than one more year before matriculating..

thanks so much for any info!

actually, if anyone in other SMP's can reply to this too, it'd be helpful :)

Your MCAT retake seems to be pretty on point. What is the breakdown? Your overall GPA is relatively decent, but your science GPA is probably a cause for concern for adcoms. Are you still in college? Graduated? If you've graduated already, you may want to consider an SMP. Have you finished all your prereqs yet? How were the grades? Whats the GPA breakdown over the years?
I am finishing up my last year, and I've finished all my pre-req with a B average. and my GPA shows a decrease from my freshmen to sophmore year, and starts to increase my junior year 2nd semester. Mainly slumped b/c I took so many courses my sophmore year.
Right now I was thinking about an MPH program, or SMP. However, I'm just afraid that the SMP will be really risky if I don't do well. and a Post-bach seems somewhat useless at this point to retake the same courses over again. What do u think?

I think you have a pretty good shot given your GPA trend. YOu can definitely get into an SMP somewhere with your stats- try applying and see what happens and then plan on retaking the MCAT again. But just be wary that alot of the competitive ones boast avgs of up to the high 20's and low 30's. (I think my program is somewhere around 31-33) Just remember that you'll need a higher mcat when applying to medical school too. If you plan to apply this upcoming summer, then taking it in the late summer may not be in your best interest.

thanks for the reply

even if i apply during the summer and take the mcat in the summer, won't they see the updated mcats by the time my applications get processed?

thanks for the reply

even if i apply during the summer and take the mcat in the summer, won't they see the updated mcats by the time my applications get processed?

For med schools, yes. For SMP's, no.

From what I've read so far throughout this forum, there are no SMP programs tailored specifically to dental students, however it's fairly common for predental students to matriculate into premed SMP programs (i think that's right...).

Does anyone know if predental students are at a disadvantage in applying to these programs since they are designed for premeds?

My main interest in these program lies in the fact that I took most of my prereqs at a community college, and otherwise my prereqs taken at GW aren't stellar.

overall my stats are decent:
GPA: 3.67 overall, 4.0 from communitry college, 3.4 from GW
DAT: 21 (90th %)

do you all think the SMP is right for me, since i applied, haven't been accepted, and now have a gap coming next year? also, what programs would be best for a predent like me?

I am finishing up my last year, and I've finished all my pre-req with a B average. and my GPA shows a decrease from my freshmen to sophmore year, and starts to increase my junior year 2nd semester. Mainly slumped b/c I took so many courses my sophmore year.
Right now I was thinking about an MPH program, or SMP. However, I'm just afraid that the SMP will be really risky if I don't do well. and a Post-bach seems somewhat useless at this point to retake the same courses over again. What do u think?
Well yes, going to an SMP is risky per se, in the sense that if you don't do well, you might end up hurting yourself that much more. Going through an MPH route might be beneficial but wont have that much of an added benefit in comparison to that of an SMP. It's up to you. If you feel that you can get in with an MPH and do well in it, then by all means go that route. Its definitely the safer route to go given that if you dont get accepted anywhere after the MPH, you can always throw down your chips and go to an SMP and reapply again. Or you can always just go right to an SMP if you feel that you can knock those classes out of the ballpark given that your grades don't represent you. Personally Id go with an SMP seeing that I dont want to put myself an additional 20+ grand into debt and an extra lag year if the MPH route doesn't pan out.

From what I've read so far throughout this forum, there are no SMP programs tailored specifically to dental students, however it's fairly common for predental students to matriculate into premed SMP programs (i think that's right...).

Does anyone know if predental students are at a disadvantage in applying to these programs since they are designed for premeds?

My main interest in these program lies in the fact that I took most of my prereqs at a community college, and otherwise my prereqs taken at GW aren't stellar.

overall my stats are decent:
GPA: 3.67 overall, 4.0 from communitry college, 3.4 from GW
DAT: 21 (90th %)

do you all think the SMP is right for me, since i applied, haven't been accepted, and now have a gap coming next year? also, what programs would be best for a predent like me?

Hmm your grades arent bad and frankly Im surprised that you havn't been accepted anywhere if you applied smart. Granted SMPs ARE designed for medical students given that the classes are in allopathic/osteopathic classes, however, from what Ive been told by dental students, they are no different than those of dental school. Why don't you ask schools why your application may be lacking and what you can do to improve it. If coursework is what they list as your deficiency, then try out the SMP route. The classes are pretty similar, not to mention that you will also be exposed to a wide variety of upper level science classes which help boost and pad your application. Check in the dental forums to see if they have SMP type programs for dental school as well. Good luck!

I took the MCAT during my sophmore year 2006. So essentially I can apply in the summer of 2007 and in the summer of 2008. My question is are you only 1 year behind with an SMP or 2 years behind. Note that i am only looking at 1 year programs. however if you apply after the smp is over then don't you also lose another year? would appreciate some help.

I am a "year" behind given that my SMP is a one year masters program (with thesis). I am matriculating medical school right after it is over, so I wouldnt have another gap year per se. Keep in mind that your MCAT is valid for three years, so going for a two year program would probably mean that you would need to take it again.

The two year programs usually allow students to leave with a certificate of completion after one year, especially if students are accepted to medical school for that following year. If you dont get accepted then you can use that second year to finish up your masters and reapply again.

braluk - question about the UC app (not sure if you remember it) but anyways, there's a lot of room, i think unlimited room to type for Extracirriculars/Comments....are we supposed to have prepared writing samples for this or just a list for extra cirriculars...and what do you suggest we put in comments?

I dont remember it really, but knowing myself, I probably would have put in there the same things I would put in an AMCAS. The comments section of the EC section in the AMCAS is probably something similar to what I put in the UC application for each specific EC listed.

Ok...

So I applied to med school this year but haven't heard any positive news yet. I am still waiting on a bunch of schools but I need to have a back-up plan.

I am definitely applying to post-bac programs (interested in SMP's) but have no idea what my chances are or how many to apply to.

Here are my stats:
BCPM = 2.794
Cumulative = 2.982

MCAT = 28, 29

However, I was really sick my sophomore/junior years so I had a GPA dip those years. My GPA senior year was a 3.538.

I have a ton of volunteer and community service activities, etc.

My top choices at the moment are Tufts and BU for SMP's. I would really love to stay in Boston but I have no idea what the acceptance rates are for these two programs.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ok...

So I applied to med school this year but haven't heard any positive news yet. I am still waiting on a bunch of schools but I need to have a back-up plan.

I am definitely applying to post-bac programs (interested in SMP's) but have no idea what my chances are or how many to apply to.

Here are my stats:
BCPM = 2.794
Cumulative = 2.982

MCAT = 28, 29

However, I was really sick my sophomore/junior years so I had a GPA dip those years. My GPA senior year was a 3.538.

I have a ton of volunteer and community service activities, etc.

My top choices at the moment are Tufts and BU for SMP's. I would really love to stay in Boston but I have no idea what the acceptance rates are for these two programs.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have similar stats, and I am in the BU MAMS program (and accepted to others) now. If you apply soon you should get into one of those in Boston.

Good luck!

Great news!

Thanks. I am getting my apps out this week with my supporting materials to follow soon.

I've heard that at BU SMP you can enter into the program as a nondegree seeking student (no GPA cutof, no scores needed to submit) and upon performing "certain requirements" you can officially become a degree seeker. Does anyone have any information on this? And is it recommended?

o this has turned out to be even more helpful than i anticipated. . .but i have a stupid question: is the special sciences program at upenn a degree granting program or do you just take classes? i read their website but it does not say that you get a degree at the end of the program . . .

I do not believe that you receive a degree at the end of the program (at least in the first year).

Does the University Cincinnati SMP program accept GRE's. i dont think i'll be able to take the mcat's in time for application to the program. thanks!!!

Hi Braluk
So I am really leaning towards the SMP. However, my main concern is their GPA calculation. Could you explain how they compare you against other medical school students? If I get a Pass (3.0) is that the same pass for the medical students? And what do most SMP students get for their total GPA? Are the grades curved for SMP students and how? Thanks alot!

Braluk,

How did you not get into UCinn?! I'll be applying to SMPs soon, and the fact that our numbers are relatively close, somewhat upsets me. I mean, the fact that someone of your caliber not getting into UCinn even though you outperformed med students (I'm assuming you high-passed your classes) is somewhat upseting. Nonetheless, congrats on Tulane, and I hope the rest of your application cycle goes well. Any news on how the rest of your SMP Classmates did?

Thanks

Does the University Cincinnati SMP program accept GRE's. i dont think i'll be able to take the mcat's in time for application to the program. thanks!!!

They accept GRE's, but I'm quickly finding that the GRE is pretty weak as far as admissions criteria go. If you have a 3.4 and a 1600 on the GRE, that's great. But, if someone else has a 3.4 and a 32 on the MCAT - they're a much better risk to take.

Hey MochezzmO, thank you for the flattery :)
Im not entirely sure why either, they sent rejections across the United States because I am assuming they ran out of interview slots. I suspect that it was because we are sitll in the first year of the program, and rightfully so, the adcom was probably "suspicious" or unsure until we have our grades fully done. I also suspect it may have been my non-residency status (if you have a spouse who can move here and get a job I suggest you do that since you can qualify for residency immediately). I have an SMP buddy who got into UC, and plenty others (mostly in-state) who are waiting for decision on their file. I have nothing against UC, but I think I was pretty set on attending Tulane. Anyhow, good luck and keep in touch here!

Im not entirely sure how they curve their grades. yes you do get a GPA but the meaning of a 3.0 (or a high pass equivalent) is much different than a 3.0 from undergrad- given that the 3.0 or HP is almost like getting an A- in undergrad. (remember a HP is usually anything over a B). SMP grades are not curved (not curved for med students so why would it be curved for us- the tests are usually designed so that the class avg will be around an 80%- which it surprisingly has been for all the exams Ive taken here). Grades range between students across all SMPs.

braluk,
im looking into SMPs especially UC since i'm from ohio. i applied this cycle but so far am on 2 waitlists, still waiting to hear from a third interview, and have an upcoming interview in march.

My stats:
mcat- 29O (11bio, 9 phys, 9verbal)
gpa-3.84
bpcm-3.71
applied kinda late (amcas submitted july 29, secondaries i also procrastinated on)

what do you think my chances of getting into UC's SMP are? haven't heard anything back from MD admissions so i assume im not getting in there this year. just wondering because my gpa is fairly good, but then again the program seems really competitive. have any other ideas for a back up plan next year? others have told me to get a job, make money, or do research and NOT go to school but again i've heard other schools actually recommend you stay in an academic environment.

also- basically if i go to another smp besides UC then i'm giving up my ohio residiency right? i think this might actually hurt me if it's the case.