The OFFICIAL hSDN College Class of 2017 Admission Decisions Thread

Jul 29, 2012
Brookhaven, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
Tell us where you were you applied and if you were accepted, rejected, or wait-listed. I'll start off:

Accepted to: Penn State ($14,000 in scholarships), Northampton Community College (Honors program)

Rejected from: University of Maryland (My #1 college :( ), University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign

Wait-listed at: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Still waiting on: Temple University

Also, state your major! Mine will be Economics with a pre-med track

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
Tell us where you were you applied and if you were accepted, rejected, or wait-listed. I'll start off:

Accepted to: Penn State ($14,000 in scholarships), Northampton Community College (Honors program)

Rejected from: University of Maryland (My #1 college :( ), University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign

Which campus in penn state? i'm applying to Penn State- Abington because it's closer to home and it's in philadelphia.

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical

If it were me, I would choose penn state. It is highly reputable and the scholarship money would be helpful.

Feb 6, 2013
Minneapolis
Status
Pre-Medical

It's pretty tough to get into this school if you're out of state. They really love their instate students more and give them priority, but just see what happens. Its an excellent University to attend.

OP
PhilliesPhan
Jul 29, 2012
Brookhaven, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
Which campus in penn state? i'm applying to Penn State- Abington because it's closer to home and it's in philadelphia.
I was accepted into Altoona! This was my alternate campus because it has dorms. Also, it's extremely close to University Park, so maybe I can go out and catch some football games and parties at main!

It's pretty tough to get into this school if you're out of state. They really love their instate students more and give them priority, but just see what happens. Its an excellent University to attend.
I heard! Someone told me that it was their mission to train the next generation of Minnesotan workers, so they don't take in as much OOS students. I'll probably visit their campus pretty soon to see if I can picture myself attending :)

Apr 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Accepted- Butler U (Honors program 20 k scholarship), Ohio State (Scholars Program 16 K scholarship), Iowa State U (Full Ride, honors program), University of Minnesota Twin Cities (Idk about scholarships yet), Fordham (20 k scholarship), Loyola Chicago (15 k scholarship), USC (Idk about scholarships yet)

Rejected- Notre Dame

I'm struggling with the small private school-big public school dilemma, I suppose being in the honors program at a public school would help cut down on class size. And research wise there'd be more resources... I don't know what do you guys think??

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally I'd take the Iowa State U full ride. No debt? Shhhoooooooott

Apr 19, 2012
Status
yeah its pretty appealing, those scholarship numbers are per year though and I'm fortunate enough that my parents can pay the difference between cost of attendance and whatever the scholarship takes off for each of these schools. It's not about the money per se I'm more worried about the opportunity,

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
yeah its pretty appealing, those scholarship numbers are per year though and I'm fortunate enough that my parents can pay the difference between cost of attendance and whatever the scholarship takes off for each of these schools. It's not about the money per se I'm more worried about the opportunity,
Opportunity is ample at any university you mentioned. My cousin loved fordham, but she was used to the Bronx atmosphere as my entire family is from the Bronx, so i'm not sure that others will enjoy it as much.

If it were me, personally, my top two would be Ohio State and Iowa State. Ohio State is pretty awesome and so is Iowa, however Ohio State has more on campus opportunity for pre-meds, whereas in Iowa it's probably within driving distance.

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, well if money isn't much of a factor I think I'd probably like Fordham if you can handle the Bronx like Arijos said. I just think I'd prefer a smaller college with (hopefully) more interaction with professors.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
Oh, well if money isn't much of a factor I think I'd probably like Fordham if you can handle the Bronx like Arijos said. I just think I'd prefer a smaller college with (hopefully) more interaction with professors.
I've been around the campus. My cousin graduated from there this past spring.

The campus is beautiful and peaceful. There are a lot of places in walking distance, however, even though the surrounding area is relatively safe, there is still a chance for mishaps.

However, the bus stop is literally right in front of the campus. And the subway (train station, not to be confused with the restaraunt) is only a block or two from the campus as well.

I could really feel that "small college" feel. She went to Penn State prior, and transferred to Fordham.

She had a 3.8 at Penn State, then when she went to Fordham and got a 3.5

She said the difference was crazy in academics from the Public vs Private standpoint. She said the Penn State was so much less regimented, and Fordham had her take a variety of different classes that Penn State wouldn't have had her take otherwise.

She also dormed in the Manhattan Campus, and the main campus in fordham road, however, she enjoyed being in the city more.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

I would recommend Fordham. I'm not biased, it's just a pretty darn good school. I wish I could get accepted there.

Apr 19, 2012
Status
I appreciate the feedback bros, I actually got flown out by the school for a visit last week and I really liked it. But being in the NYC kind of turns me off, I really think my top three are minnesota, iowa state and ohio state, I'm gonna be in Columbus for a visit in two weeks and that's going to help me decide because I've already seen I-state and Minnesota. Ohio State has three hospitals on campus which is borderline ridiculous

Mar 8, 2012
Michigan
Status
It's been a long time since I logged on here again.

Basically my dreams came true last week. :D

I'm still in a euphoric state.

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Right here!

Accepted to 7 schools, rejected to none ;) will be matriculating at a top choice hopefully!

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd rather not say specifically, but I will say the majority of them were in the South. Trying to get away from any trace of snow :D

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd rather not say specifically, but I will say the majority of them were in the South. Trying to get away from any trace of snow :D
Same here. haha. That's one of the reasons I'm reluctant about UVM.

Did you apply to LSU or Ole Miss?

Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Nah, but I did apply to a couple other football powerhouses. CANT WAIT to go to some football games!

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
Nah, but I did apply to a couple other football powerhouses. CANT WAIT to go to some football games!
I've actually never been to a football game :oops:
I just like the social scene + plus the south near the gulf actually has some nice scenery. The LSU campus has over 45 different kinds of trees. It looks really nice when they are blooming.
I would probably have to learn how football works to fit in at those schools.

Jan 13, 2013
Durham, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're in the south, you're in SEC Country as far as football goes. Those games get Rowdy. Especially rivalry games like Alabama/Auburn, LSU/Florida, etc.

I'm more of a basketball guy and watch the ACC, but every time football season comes around, My mentor always takes me to a Alabama/Auburn game. So I'm not complaining. :thumbup:

x1240tony

7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2010
Buffalo
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted to: Canisius College, SUNY at Buffalo, Erie County Community College

Rejected from: None
Wait-listed at: None
Still waiting on: None

Matriculating: SUNY at Buffalo

Major: Pharmacology and Toxicology

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted to: Canisius College, SUNY at Buffalo, Erie County Community College

Rejected from: None
Wait-listed at: None
Still waiting on: None

Matriculating: SUNY at Buffalo

Major: Pharmacology and Toxicology
Good school, I can drive there from where I live within half a day :) lol.

ciruji

SURGERY
Jan 21, 2013

Really interesting. I think you are considering going to Mayo Medical School, I'm right?

Mar 8, 2012
Michigan
Status
Never mind. I'll share my results later in April for privacy.

Congrats to all accepted! I hope we'll all have an enriching and amazing 4 years ahead of us!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I have to say, it is amazing what community service will get you. My counselor sent out a lot of my information to a variety of colleges and ever since then I have had mail every day offering me everything from full tuitions to moderate sized apartments; I know that a few were probably scams, but a good handful were actually legitimate. I also suppose my GPA (above 3.7), above 26 ACT score, and some other extracurricular activities helped. In the end I have decided on my state school due to close proximity, direct connection to a medical school, and great research opportunities. My major will be Microbiology.

ciruji

SURGERY
Jan 21, 2013
Accepted to University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras Campus :D

Congrats to all of you.

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted to University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras Campus :D

Congrats to all of you.
Congrats. I understand that it's pretty hard to get into.

24% acceptance rate.
Lower than NYU.

ciruji

SURGERY
Jan 21, 2013
Congrats. I understand that it's pretty hard to get into.

24% acceptance rate.
Lower than NYU.
Thanks mate. I hope we can all stay strong and together through this journey and help each other here on the forum.

x1240tony

7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2010
Buffalo
Status
Pre-Medical
Good school, I can drive there from where I live within half a day :) lol.

Thanks :) I like Buffalo, it's my home town. Plus the tuition is super cheap, With Financial Aid and scholarships I won't only graduate with no debt, but with extra money in my pocket!

Which SUNY schools are the best?
It's debatable. The consensus would be Binghamton, Buffalo, Stony Brook, and Geneseo. Of course it all depends what you're majoring in.

Ibuprofen

Paramedic
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted - University of Kansas, Augustana College (SD), University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Waitlisted - none
Rejected - Yale

Attending - University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. I'll be double majoring in BA Physiology and BA Music with Applied Emphasis.

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted - University of Kansas, Augustana College (SD), University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Waitlisted - none
Rejected - Yale

Attending - University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. I'll be double majoring in BA Physiology and BA Music with Applied Emphasis.
You lucky *****

MiamiMed10

Aspiring Surgeon
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted:
Case Western Reserve University (93,000$ over 4 years)
Baylor University (40,000$ over 4 years)
Marquette University Pre Med Honors (50,000$ over 4 years)
Indiana University Pre Med Honors (35,0000$ over 4 years)
Miami University Pre Med Honors (65,000$ over 4 years + 12,000$ research grant)

Rejected:
Harvard University (No surprise there)

Waitlisted:
Notre Dame University

I will be attending Miami University next year in their honors program. I plan on majoring in Biochemistry with a Co Major in Pre Medicine. Congrats to our class, we're going to do big things in medicine!

DrHart

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
Opportunity is ample at any university you mentioned. My cousin loved fordham, but she was used to the Bronx atmosphere as my entire family is from the Bronx, so i'm not sure that others will enjoy it as much.

If it were me, personally, my top two would be Ohio State and Iowa State. Ohio State is pretty awesome and so is Iowa, however Ohio State has more on campus opportunity for pre-meds, whereas in Iowa it's probably within driving distance.
I'm finishing up my first year at Ohio State pre/med micro major so I can attest to this. Especially if you do the scholars programs (the instructors send out weekly emails that have 30/40+ opportunities for volunteering, research, campus events etc.). Ohio state has very rigorous science courses that will most definitely prepare you for the MCAT. Med center/ research labs right here on campus make ECs/volunteering very accessible. I did a 10 week internship/shadowing of an oncologist.
Just my two cents good luck to all of you!

nysegop

Removed
Apr 15, 2012
Somewhere Cold...
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted:
Case Western Reserve University (93,000$ over 4 years)
Baylor University (40,000$ over 4 years)
Marquette University Pre Med Honors (50,000$ over 4 years)
Indiana University Pre Med Honors (35,0000$ over 4 years)
Miami University Pre Med Honors (65,000$ over 4 years + 12,000$ research grant)

Rejected:
Harvard University (No surprise there)

Waitlisted:
Notre Dame University

I will be attending Miami University next year in their honors program. I plan on majoring in Biochemistry with a Co Major in Pre Medicine. Congrats to our class, we're going to do big things in medicine!
I would have taken Case Western... though there aren't a lot of girls at Case Western which is a drag.

MiamiMed10

Aspiring Surgeon
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Medical
I would have taken Case Western... though there aren't a lot of girls at Case Western which is a drag.
That's one of the reasons I didn't take it. I also want to have fun in my undergraduate years; I didn't really feel that sense of community at Case. Miami just felt right