the official "i hate my medical school" thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love medicine. I love the science and th application. I love learning and I LOVE studying. So...I would love medical school if I thought my school was any good.

Before I begin I'm going to let you know that I chose this school because of the great scholarship opportunities. A really really really good financial option for me...but I have to compensate for the lack of actual academic support and it's frustrating.

Let me just put it this way.....I fail...and I mean FAIL all of my exams and then when it comes to the national boards in that area I fare in the top 95+ percentile in the nation. I thought the tests were EASY! I also knew people that would walk out of every exam with big smiles on their faces that walked out of boards all upset, sad and mad with grades just barely around the national average. I bought UWORLD to get a head start and I'm learning a lot...I'm learning HOW to think about cases and how to apply the basic sciences.....but when I take my exams, they ask trivial questions that you wouldn't know the answeres to had you not sat down and literally memorized every single past exam. And let's make it clear...I've gone to all of the review sessions and would do everything the teachers said to do and I would still fail. People in my classes have told me that they would literally just go through a whole decade worth of exams for each class and write out the Qs and As over and over again until they memorized everything...and then they pass. What's crazy though is that just last week one of these classmates that do the memorize-only-method asked me about the basic etiology in developing a stroke....REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?! You don't even know how a STROKE can happen? Seriously!?!? Well, they have their great GPA.... They get praise from the teachers....and it's bull****. I have given in slightly to use some old exams but I try to learn from them. I go through each Q and go through the hows, why's and what's...but that process takes time!! and I'm sorry but I just can't go through a decades worth of exams for each class when going through that process. Upper classmen have told me that they've gone through the same crap...and look at them now: killer step scores despite their ****ty class grades. So here I am trying to balance....some UWorld and some old exams to help propel different aspects of learning...not just memorizing. I know that eventually this hard work will pay off but now I'm having to deal with my ****ty school and my horrible teachers....I get a lot of backlash from administration on a weekly basis. Meanwhile, I fly through UWorld and read a ton of books. I love the science, I really do. I'm a big dork and would love medical school if I were anywhere but here. ....all for a ****ing scholarship....Idk if my sanity was worth sacrificing for the green $$.
 
I love medicine. I love the science and th application. I love learning and I LOVE studying. So...I would love medical school if I thought my school was any good.

Before I begin I'm going to let you know that I chose this school because of the great scholarship opportunities. A really really really good financial option for me...but I have to compensate for the lack of actual academic support and it's frustrating.

Let me just put it this way.....I fail...and I mean FAIL all of my exams and then when it comes to the national boards in that area I fare in the top 95+ percentile in the nation. I thought the tests were EASY! I also knew people that would walk out of every exam with big smiles on their faces that walked out of boards all upset, sad and mad with grades just barely around the national average. I bought UWORLD to get a head start and I'm learning a lot...I'm learning HOW to think about cases and how to apply the basic sciences.....but when I take my exams, they ask trivial questions that you wouldn't know the answeres to had you not sat down and literally memorized every single past exam. And let's make it clear...I've gone to all of the review sessions and would do everything the teachers said to do and I would still fail. People in my classes have told me that they would literally just go through a whole decade worth of exams for each class and write out the Qs and As over and over again until they memorized everything...and then they pass. What's crazy though is that just last week one of these classmates that do the memorize-only-method asked me about the basic etiology in developing a stroke....REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?! You don't even know how a STROKE can happen? Seriously!?!? Well, they have their great GPA.... They get praise from the teachers....and it's bull****. I have given in slightly to use some old exams but I try to learn from them. I go through each Q and go through the hows, why's and what's...but that process takes time!! and I'm sorry but I just can't go through a decades worth of exams for each class when going through that process. Upper classmen have told me that they've gone through the same crap...and look at them now: killer step scores despite their ****ty class grades. So here I am trying to balance....some UWorld and some old exams to help propel different aspects of learning...not just memorizing. I know that eventually this hard work will pay off but now I'm having to deal with my ****ty school and my horrible teachers....I get a lot of backlash from administration on a weekly basis. Meanwhile, I fly through UWorld and read a ton of books. I love the science, I really do. I'm a big dork and would love medical school if I were anywhere but here. ....all for a ****ing scholarship....Idk if my sanity was worth sacrificing for the green $$.

double_take.gif
. Wtf?
 
this is my kinda thread

I haven't started med school yet (August isn't too far...), but I'm sure I'll have something to contribute in the future.

Anyone got any good ideas for the summer before med school? What should I do?

Sleep and exercise, your body will thank you

Edit: Just realized this is an ancient thread
 
1st year of med school can largely be replaced by anatomy class and reading out of the Constanzo BRS Physiology book. 2nd year pathology is pretty much the most important thing for Step 1 anyway.