You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread
Started by Abraxas305
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That's insane! How are you doing it?
I imagine a Time Turner is involved.
Hey, does anyone know if we have to finish the AAMC question bundle in one sitting to review the answers? Or can we take it a couple passages at a time?
When you are about to start the test, just turn on the solutions and you can check answers as you go.
Man, the only thing I'm focusing on right now is the MCAT. Then again, I have to get my App together to send it in after. What a pain. I haven't even written my PS or got my LOR's yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who else thought the Physics section III questions are pretty difficult? I was at a 12 for the first two sections but I got like a 15/25 on the review questions for section 3. Gonna post-game these then attempt the 7 passage review after and see what I get...
Hey Y'all,
June 19th in Glen Allen, VA. Was supposed to be a May test taker, no spots, and don't feel like rushing into April. So I guess extra test time it is!
While I am nervous this will adversely affect my cycle b/c it'll make me ~1 month behind first submitters, I think it's worth it to get a good score.
Tryna decide between NS or TPR For Social/Psych...any references? Never taken a social/pysch class before.
June 19th in Glen Allen, VA. Was supposed to be a May test taker, no spots, and don't feel like rushing into April. So I guess extra test time it is!
While I am nervous this will adversely affect my cycle b/c it'll make me ~1 month behind first submitters, I think it's worth it to get a good score.
Tryna decide between NS or TPR For Social/Psych...any references? Never taken a social/pysch class before.
What schedules are you guys using? Nextstep has his 100 days to success thread, anyone using that?
still using SN2ED w/ days for Social/PsychWhat schedules are you guys using? Nextstep has his 100 days to success thread, anyone using that?
Man, the only thing I'm focusing on right now is the MCAT. Then again, I have to get my App together to send it in after. What a pain. I haven't even written my PS or got my LOR's yet.
I haven't written my PS, but my former university's PPAC is having a PS workshop on the 26th, and I've already signed up to attend. I hope it's going to be helpful. Haha. I've not gotten any LORs yet, either. But there's still time for that. Right now, I'm planning to try to squeeze in some shadowing in the spring (I have none).
So I ended up purchasing NS psych/soc strategy and practice book and it came today. Flipping through it, it seems like a great resource. There are some SUPER long passages without any figures, some relatively short passages with graphs and charts. It is broken up into 4 sections, each section has 9 passages and 59 questions. After each passage, there is a page explaining the passage and the answers follow.
In the appendices there is a self-study outline and a self-study glossary that could be useful. Also in the beginning of the book, there is an outline that includes concepts and topics to be covered on the psych section and soc section on the MCAT so that's pretty helpful as well.
So 36 passages for ~$35. I would consider purchasing if you guys are looking for extra practice in these sections.
In the appendices there is a self-study outline and a self-study glossary that could be useful. Also in the beginning of the book, there is an outline that includes concepts and topics to be covered on the psych section and soc section on the MCAT so that's pretty helpful as well.
So 36 passages for ~$35. I would consider purchasing if you guys are looking for extra practice in these sections.
^ Sold. Even though I'm not a fan of their content review. The CARS book has been great practice so far and I really do need Psych/Socio practice other than Khan academy passages, which I am saving for the end of my content review.
^ Sold. Even though I'm not a fan of their content review. The CARS book has been great practice so far and I really do need Psych/Socio practice other than Khan academy passages, which I am saving for the end of my content review.
Does the NS CARS book compare to the style and type of questions from old mcat VR sections?
I did all of the CARS questions in the Official Guide to the MCAT, and to me, yes, they were pretty much just like the old VR questions.Does the NS CARS book compare to the style and type of questions from old mcat VR sections?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol. Oops. Um. It's Obama's fault?Nice reading skills lol 🙄
Thank you!I'm doing a modified NS schedule (see attached). I will be studying more than 100 days so I spread some stuff out and I am using Kaplan instead of EK. I like it because it incorporates the Khan Academy videos.
Edit: here is the link that explains the schedule.
I'm using old TBR and EKI'm doing a modified NS schedule (see attached). I will be studying more than 100 days so I spread some stuff out and I am using Kaplan instead of EK. I like it because it incorporates the Khan Academy videos.
Edit: here is the link that explains the schedule.
Don't listen to anyone who says the "TBR is much harder; this or that." Most of the people who have sat the exam already will tell you that the real exam is of similar difficulty, just presented in a different way.Has anyone started on any TBR physics passages? It's overwhelming to me. Is it harder than the standard AAMC or is it just me being weak on the concept review?
welp... it looks like ill be taking the new MCAT 🙁. i'm just so lost on how to start studying for this test since there are not of practice materials for the new sections.
welp... it looks like ill be taking the new MCAT 🙁. i'm just so lost on how to start studying for this test since there are not of practice materials for the new sections.
A good place to start would be the AAMC question packs. You can get all of them for $72, or purchase them individually. But there is no so-called social sciences question pack for whatever reason. You can purchase the 120 questions from the Official Guide to the MCAT for $10. These cover all of the sections of the MCAT. And an official practice test is $25, but it's not able to give you a score at this time, but it will tell you what you got right/wrong, so it can be good for making sure you know the material. Btw, each of these things can only be accessed a total of 20 times.
Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy
They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! 🙂
They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! 🙂
Hey guys, I'll be joining you all on the 20th. I'll be a retaker but I wanted to wish everyone the best of luck and happy studying!
Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy
They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! 🙂
I think I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but in case I didnt, this prof, Kevin Ahern has his entire biochem class on youtube. Actually. he has several of them. I highly recommend them.
Wow, I've only been studying for a week and having no science background is making me think twice about rewriting now that the science section is even harder. Strongly leaning towards just keeping my 11VR and just canceling my MCAT but I'll see how I'm scoring on CARS in mid May.
I think CARS is pretty similar to old VR. Also...I think the sciences are actually easier. More bio based.Wow, I've only been studying for a week and having no science background is making me think twice about rewriting now that the science section is even harder. Strongly leaning towards just keeping my 11VR and just canceling my MCAT but I'll see how I'm scoring on CARS in mid May.
I think CARS is pretty similar to old VR. Also...I think the sciences are actually easier. More bio based.
Old MCAT I was scoring 6-8 on VR and got 11 on the actual test + I live in Canada where 2 of the schools I will apply to don't need the MCAT and the other 2 just look at VR/CARS. I'm looking to get 12+ on CARS (preferably 14+ equivalent) and anything less than 11 is a dreamkiller. If I don't consistently score 13+ in May then its probably best to cancel it right?
Ugggghhh Haven't been studying efficiently this week due to some classes. I'm on Ch 3's on the TBR's right now and finishing the Phase I and II passages while supplementing with EK 1001 for PS stuff.
Ugggghhh Haven't been studying efficiently this week due to some classes. I'm on Ch 3's on the TBR's right now and finishing the Phase I and II passages while supplementing with EK 1001 for PS stuff.
Be careful to allocate your time appropriately. I think I saw something where out of the 230 questions, physics accounts for only 15 or so. Check these links, not sure if they are accurate though....http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/25/2015-mcat-question-content-infographic/
http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy
They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! 🙂
Took me a minute to realize that's "Oregon State". I know OSU as Ohio State. If you've had a good biology course, you've likely had most of the biochem you need. But if you can't afford prep material, this may be helpful.
bumpbumpbump
Ughhh work is killing my study time
Ughhh work is killing my study time
bumpbumpbump
Ughhh work is killing my study time
Same! I can't seem to get in more than 2.5 or 3 hours a day (max!). Really making me nervous.
June 19th test taker. I'm ready to take the ride!
How does everyone feel about taking full length tests? I try to take them at 8 AM as much as possible...but sometimes my schedule gets in the way and I end up taking the test from like 1 pm - 8 pm or something like that. I don't think it's not that big of a deal because I'm an early bird, but still, wish I could do it at the right time!
Dang are you already through content review ?How does everyone feel about taking full length tests? I try to take them at 8 AM as much as possible...but sometimes my schedule gets in the way and I end up taking the test from like 1 pm - 8 pm or something like that. I don't think it's not that big of a deal because I'm an early bird, but still, wish I could do it at the right time!
bumpbumpbump
Ughhh work is killing my study time
I honestly can't believe you are studying already. Content-dumping is a real thing, but I guess we all know how best to study for ourselves. I begin a Kaplan class at the end of this month, and next week I'm going to start going through the Khan videos as prep for the class.
Well I'm taking 2 classes and I work part-time so I had to start a bit earlier. I planned to finish my content review in the middle of next month to give myself ~2 months of practice testing.I honestly can't believe you are studying already. Content-dumping is a real thing, but I guess we all know how best to study for ourselves. I begin a Kaplan class at the end of this month, and next week I'm going to start going through the Khan videos as prep for the class.
do you think it is low or high?i wonder what the percentage is of people who take the exam one time and get in with that score.
I'm currently registered for June 20th MCAT. I am also registered for 2nd Quarter Ochem and 1st Quarter physics for the 10 weeks leading up to the test (quarter ends June 12) (8 quarter units total). I work 2-12 hours shifts (24h) on the weekends. I am also registered for Kaplan on site that ends the day before the test.
I've had a "2 birds 1 stone" mentality about taking the pre-reqs and studying MCAT at the same time, but now I'm starting to realize that the class time might be pretty low yield because of how little those subjects may appear on the MCAT.
Do you guys/gals think I should keep both classes or think about dropping one of them (ochem 2) to spend that time self studying?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I've had a "2 birds 1 stone" mentality about taking the pre-reqs and studying MCAT at the same time, but now I'm starting to realize that the class time might be pretty low yield because of how little those subjects may appear on the MCAT.
Do you guys/gals think I should keep both classes or think about dropping one of them (ochem 2) to spend that time self studying?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
No, I would not drop a pre-req class. Did you register for another non-pre req class?
I just don't see how you can explain dropping a pre-req to study for the MCAT when you needed to have taken it anyway.
The "2 birds 1 stone" deal is actually a good idea.
I just don't see how you can explain dropping a pre-req to study for the MCAT when you needed to have taken it anyway.
The "2 birds 1 stone" deal is actually a good idea.
Anyone skipping the entirety of momentum? I'm still doing torque since it is listed but I mean that topic is entirely omitted so I do not see the reason why I should spend time on it when I could be doing my Psych/Socio nahmsayn?
I am in almost the same boat as you.I'm currently registered for June 20th MCAT. I am also registered for 2nd Quarter Ochem and 1st Quarter physics for the 10 weeks leading up to the test (quarter ends June 12) (8 quarter units total). I work 2-12 hours shifts (24h) on the weekends. I am also registered for Kaplan on site that ends the day before the test.
I've had a "2 birds 1 stone" mentality about taking the pre-reqs and studying MCAT at the same time, but now I'm starting to realize that the class time might be pretty low yield because of how little those subjects may appear on the MCAT.
Do you guys/gals think I should keep both classes or think about dropping one of them (ochem 2) to spend that time self studying?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I have three classes, two of which are Biochem and Orgo II, and I work all weekend long (24 hrs)
I wouldn't drop them. My plan is to start studying in a little over a week, doing ~3 hrs a day. The last month I am taking TPR 123 hr class and will study ~10 hrs 5 days a week. I hope your plan works out!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been trying to get a June test date for the past few days and no luck 🙁 Do y'all think seats will open up?
I'm a retaker. I start working FT soon, so I am dreading studying >.< Currently only have Kaplan books because I'm taking a class that starts at the end of this month, and I plan on using Khan academy stuff. I'm looking into buying the AAMC material too. Any recommendations on what other resources/books are worth buying? Thanks!
I'm a retaker. I start working FT soon, so I am dreading studying >.< Currently only have Kaplan books because I'm taking a class that starts at the end of this month, and I plan on using Khan academy stuff. I'm looking into buying the AAMC material too. Any recommendations on what other resources/books are worth buying? Thanks!
Honestly, the AAMC stuff is going to be your best bet as far as questions are concerned, b/c they're "official." Fwiw, I find the videos here especially helpful, particularly those about MCAT math. Though for square roots and cube roots, I prefer to do it by finding the closest perfect square (or cube) to the number in question, and estimating from there. Btw, Kaplan gives a great formula for estimating logs: -log (m*10^-n) = n-0.m. Ex: -log 4.5*10^3 = 3-0.45= 2.55 (it's actually 2.34, but this is very close). One thing of note is that as of last time I looked, Khan Academy does NOT have any specific MCAT math stuff.Been trying to get a June test date for the past few days and no luck 🙁 Do y'all think seats will open up?
I'm a retaker. I start working FT soon, so I am dreading studying >.< Currently only have Kaplan books because I'm taking a class that starts at the end of this month, and I plan on using Khan academy stuff. I'm looking into buying the AAMC material too. Any recommendations on what other resources/books are worth buying? Thanks!
Dang are you already through content review ?
Nope, just trudging through most of it. I find that I get much much more out of practicing, rather than just reading my MCAT books, etc. Most questions I miss aren't just conceptual facts I didn't know--it's more of me not interpreting the passages correctly, etc.
I could not agree more. For example, I was having difficulty remembering Biology information when reading over the chapter, this was reflected in my poor BS mcat scores on old mcat practice tests. I since have picked up Biology 1001 by EK and am doing all those practice problems and am easily being able to retain the information....active learning is the best thing you can do, and that includes reading and answer questions rather than just reading.Nope, just trudging through most of it. I find that I get much much more out of practicing, rather than just reading my MCAT books, etc. Most questions I miss aren't just conceptual facts I didn't know--it's more of me not interpreting the passages correctly, etc.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E