-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread
Started by southpawcannon
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
First post on here. I found this forum when, like everyone else, I needed some reassurance that I wasn't the only one who thought the PS was absolutely ridiculous. You guys definitely helped so much in making the wait more bearable!
Test date: 05/08/2014
AAMC avg: 35 (33-38)
Kaplan avg: 34
Post-test expectation: 32-36 (PS: 8-11, VR: 10-12, BS: 13-15)
Actual Score: 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: First and foremost: absolutely ecstatic to be above a 30!! Just the tiniest bit disappointed to have gotten lower than any of my AAMC practice tests, and at the bottom of my expected range.
For all of you that are going to be retaking, don't be discouraged!!! This was my second MCAT. The first time I scored a TWENTY-FOUR! (08/07/09)
Hello,
First of all congratulations on a great score! I was wondering, how did you work on verbal? Given you had a three point increase, i would love to know how long it took you and how you managed to achieve such a feat.
Thanks in advance!
The first time I studied for the exam, I used examkrackers (the VR study book as well as the 101 passages). I used their strategies, but even on my highest AAMC practice test I only got an 8. I went into the test hoping for a miracle. For my second time studying, I used the Kaplan VR book and continued to use the 101 passages to practice (I had about half of them left). I found the Kaplan book to be VERY helpful, much more so than examkrackers. Especially the way they teach the "wrong answer pathology" and how to recognize the distractors, I think their strategies just sort of clicked for me and verbal finally made sense. When I was trying to use examkracker's strategies, it always felt very forced... "just do what we say, and you'll do well..." sort of thing.... and it just didn't work for me. I did take the Kaplan prep-course the second time, but if verbal is the only section you're trying to improve, I would say don't waste your money. DEFINITELY get the Kaplan VR book and 101 passages from examkrackers for practice, but the class portion for verbal was not necessarily useful.Hello,
First of all congratulations on a great score! I was wondering, how did you work on verbal? Given you had a three point increase, i would love to know how long it took you and how you managed to achieve such a feat.
Thanks in advance!
I NEVER thought in a million years that I was going to be able to break a 10 on the exam until I started studying the Kaplan book. I was definitely one of those people who was just "not good at verbal", and was forced to accept that. So if you're struggling in that section, don't be discouraged because YOU CAN IMPROVE (I was actually averaging an 11 on AAMC toward the end - from a 7-8 avg the first round) --- I studied for three months, but I was studying all subject matter, so if you were to just study verbal, I imagine it would take about 4-6 weeks to get to this point.
I guess my main advice (for what that's worth) is to read the entire Kaplan VR book, and then do every test in the 101 book under simulated test conditions. If you're like me, by the end, timing should no longer be an issue and something should just click and verbal will start to make sense if their methods are working for you.... Hope this helps, and I wish you the very best of luck!! 🙂
What physics prep did you use when you did your retake? Thanks!! 🙂First post on here. I found this forum when, like everyone else, I needed some reassurance that I wasn't the only one who thought the PS was absolutely ridiculous. You guys definitely helped so much in making the wait more bearable!
Test date: 05/08/2014
AAMC avg: 35 (33-38)
Kaplan avg: 34
Post-test expectation: 32-36 (PS: 8-11, VR: 10-12, BS: 13-15)
Actual Score: 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: First and foremost: absolutely ecstatic to be above a 30!! Just the tiniest bit disappointed to have gotten lower than any of my AAMC practice tests, and at the bottom of my expected range.
For all of you that are going to be retaking, don't be discouraged!!! This was my second MCAT. The first time I scored a TWENTY-FOUR! (08/07/09)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Examkrackers the first time, Kaplan the second. Physics is NOT my thing, and I didn't take the time to learn it in undergrad so for me Kaplan was better because it was a lot more detailed... But if you have an okay foundation in physics already, examkrackers I thought was more concise and better organized.What physics prep did you use when you did your retake? Thanks!! 🙂
OK awesome thanks!Examkrackers the first time, Kaplan the second. Physics is NOT my thing, and I didn't take the time to learn it in undergrad so for me Kaplan was better because it was a lot more detailed... But if you have an okay foundation in physics already, examkrackers I thought was more concise and better organized.
Just wanted to say I hope all is well with everyone, whether you are applying this cycle, holding on to a satisfactory score and applying next cycle, or preparing to take the test again! I am giving it another shot next week on July 24th. Best of luck to everybody 🙂
Just wanted to say I hope all is well with everyone, whether you are applying this cycle, holding on to a satisfactory score and applying next cycle, or preparing to take the test again! I am giving it another shot next week on July 24th. Best of luck to everybody 🙂
I am applying this cycle, even though my score was below my average. I am region locked in SoCal, so I am applying to 6 schools. Hoping for that acceptance!
Best of luck everyone.
Waiting on my retake from June 21st. A linkage depends on this. If all goes well I start August 18th ^_^
What is a linkage?
Some schools have linkages with official post-bacc programs. If you score well and do well you can apply to the school before MCAT, if accepted, you have to get a score of X for your acceptance to be valid.What is a linkage?
Wrong thread?Hello guys.
I'm taking my Mcat on Jan23rd 2014
I am looking for a study partner in Spokane but I'm also cool wih studying online together.
please let me know if your up for it. 🙂
what do you mean ?Wrong thread?
They mean that everyone in this thread has already taken the MCAT thus won't likely need a study partnerwhat do you mean ?
you guys will go down in my medical career as the heroes who battled this beast with me. I hope those who are applying this cycle have been successful, and those gearing up for future cycles are well on their way!
05/08/14 Never forget: assume g=10 m/s^2
05/08/14 Never forget: assume g=10 m/s^2
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E