Mar 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone! I'm going to be starting the MS (traditional track) at NYMC in August; was wondering if anyone else is going to be starting in either the traditional track or accelerated masters program at NYMC this fall (or is already in one of the programs)....hope to hear from someone soon!

Oct 19, 2010
New York
Status
Medical Student
I'm applying to the accelerated track this week. I've taken most of the courses in their program as an undergraduate and received As in them (Biochem, Cell Bio, Mammalian Physiology), so it will be interesting to see what they think of me as an applicant.

OP
CardiologyJosh
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm applying to the accelerated track this week. I've taken most of the courses in their program as an undergraduate and received As in them (Biochem, Cell Bio, Mammalian Physiology), so it will be interesting to see what they think of me as an applicant.
Are you applying for entry in the Fall 2012 term?

OP
CardiologyJosh
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Good stuff dude; I don't know what the selection criterion/process is like for the accelerated track, but if you've earned those grades in those courses I'm sure it will bode well. What's your name btw? Are you going to move to Valhalla or are you commuting from LI?

Oct 19, 2010
New York
Status
Medical Student
Good stuff dude; I don't know what the selection criterion/process is like for the accelerated track, but if you've earned those grades in those courses I'm sure it will bode well. What's your name btw? Are you going to move to Valhalla or are you commuting from LI?
Will probably just move.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2010
New York
Status
Medical Student
I am looking to apply to this year's Accelerated program, but having just spoken to the director of the program over the phone about my situation (low undergrad GPA, high postbac GPA with a 29S, 2 years out of school), he recommended I do a gap year after the program to do research/etc and strenghthen my application. I figured I could interview after the first 2/3 blocks of the AMP were done and get in for the same year. What has been your guys experience? Since I'm waiting on two DO school wait lists now and I'd withdraw from them, I know I am betting all my chips on this program in a way -- but I really want to go ... just not take another gap year, don't see why it's so necessary if I do well in the Masters.

OP
CardiologyJosh
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
don't see why it's so necessary if I do well in the Masters.
The masters program is, in essence, to show, that despite your non-competitive undergraduate GPA, you still have what it takes to succeed in the hard sciences at the graduate/professional level. However, in order to demonstrate this, you need to have a solid number of courses completed, with good grades, on a full time student schedule; in the accelerated track, you only have this after you complete the program. In the traditional track, you have this after your first year in the program. So, the benefit of taking the gap year, is that you will have completed the coursework (hopefully you will have done well,) and the admissions committees at the schools to which you are applying, will have new information (your masters courses) regarding your abilities in the classroom, and thusly, you will improve your chances of not being thrown on a reject pile.

Jun 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got into the accelerated program at NYMC. Applying to schools and hoping that it's going to be a positive step towards getting into their med school next year. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of activity on the forum this year, don't know what to make of that.

You heard anything more Fly Higher?

Jul 13, 2012
Status
Hi! I'm a female joining the traditional master's program this fall. I'd ideally like to live within walking distance of the campus but that sounds like it may be difficult...anyone still need roommates?