The official RFU AP Program BLOWS thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be funny to post. :)

Members don't see this ad.

USArmyDoc said:
I thought this would be funny to post. :)

Hey, you just got into med school (congrats). So leave the RF people alone.

Sundarban1 said:
Hey, you just got into med school (congrats). So leave the RF people alone.

I am just kidding man. I think the program is great but I think it stinks that it was just changed thats all. Sorry if insulted anyone...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
I am just kidding man. I think the program is great but I think it stinks that it was just changed thats all. Sorry if insulted anyone...lol

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree..... first of all I think CMS is doing the right thing by changing their AP program. They are going to make it so that the students in the program get a better education. It dosn't make sense that you pay so much cash just to be taking the same courses as med school students and if you get in next year you'll pay the same and be taking a lesser course load. This way, you'll be able to do something 'else' with your degree instead of just looking at it as a postbacc program. Maybe you can do research etc... if you don't go into CMS. Anyhow, I think that if you get a masters degree, it should be more research orientated etc.... that way you can have more opportunities incase you don't want to do medicine/or don't get in etc.....

ocean11 said:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree..... first of all I think CMS is doing the right thing by changing their AP program. They are going to make it so that the students in the program get a better education. It dosn't make sense that you pay so much cash just to be taking the same courses as med school students and if you get in next year you'll pay the same and be taking a lesser course load. This way, you'll be able to do something 'else' with your degree instead of just looking at it as a postbacc program. Maybe you can do research etc... if you don't go into CMS. Anyhow, I think that if you get a masters degree, it should be more research orientated etc.... that way you can have more opportunities incase you don't want to do medicine/or don't get in etc.....

lol :laugh:

Seriously, no one goes to the RFU AP to get research/publications or to consider a career in research. They went because med school was guaranteed after that year which made sure they could handle the work. SMP/AP's arent meant to be traditional masters to help get you jobs in reserach, thats why they are called SPECIAL masters programs.

BOBODR said:

Seriously, no one goes to the RFU AP to get research/publications or to consider a career in research. They went because med school was guaranteed after that year which made sure they could handle the work. SMP/AP's arent meant to be traditional masters to help get you jobs in reserach, thats why they are called SPECIAL masters programs.

word!

BOBODR said:

yeah that's why I think these programs suck and am glad that CMS is getting rid of theirs... it undermines other masters students who ARE interested in research and work hard to get their M.Sc

ocean11 said:
yeah that's why I think these programs suck and am glad that CMS is getting rid of theirs... it undermines other masters students who ARE interested in research and work hard to get their M.Sc

I disagree. However, I am in no place to point out the good and bad of the program. I would recommend you speak with EctopicFetus.....He will probably be able to give you a good idea of the program.

USArmyDoc said:
I disagree. However, I am in no place to point out the good and bad of the program. I would recommend you speak with EctopicFetus.....He will probably be able to give you a good idea of the program.

Ocean11, I dont know how things are in Canada but you probably dont get how things work in the states. 1) If you really want to do research and you actually want to make a difference then I would suggest a PhD. Second of all no one confuses the SMP programs with what you describe as places where people want to do research etc. These things are pretty well delineated. I think it is a shame they might drop the connection. IMO I dont care if they change the program as long as they let people into the med school. Way too much emphasis is improperly placed which is why complete and utter social idiots get into med school. NO matter what people tell you about medicine and how intellectual it is, in the end it is a service driven business. You must have social skills and far too many of the people with 3.8s and 34 MCATs are socially ******ed.

Like I mentioned, you want to do research those spots are out there and the people that matter know the difference.

EctopicFetus said:
Ocean11, I dont know how things are in Canada but you probably dont get how things work in the states. 1) If you really want to do research and you actually want to make a difference then I would suggest a PhD. Second of all no one confuses the SMP programs with what you describe as places where people want to do research etc. These things are pretty well delineated. I think it is a shame they might drop the connection. IMO I dont care if they change the program as long as they let people into the med school. Way too much emphasis is improperly placed which is why complete and utter social idiots get into med school. NO matter what people tell you about medicine and how intellectual it is, in the end it is a service driven business. You must have social skills and far too many of the people with 3.8s and 34 MCATs are socially ******ed.

Like I mentioned, you want to do research those spots are out there and the people that matter know the difference.

There ya go! :thumbup:

USArmyDoc said:
There ya go! :thumbup:

Seriously Ocean there is something with the way you are thinking about this. How do the SMP's undermine people who want to get a real masters? I dont even know how that statement could possibly make any sense.

SMP is for people wanting to go to medical school. It doesnt help them get a research position afterwards.(Apples)

Masters are for people who want to go into research. (Oranges)

Apples vs Oranges. They have nothing to do with one another except they are both masters/fruits.

BOBODR said:
Seriously Ocean there is something with the way you are thinking about this. How do the SMP's undermine people who want to get a real masters? I dont even know how that statement could possibly make any sense.

SMP is for people wanting to go to medical school. It doesnt help them get a research position afterwards.(Apples)

Masters are for people who want to go into research. (Oranges)

Apples vs Oranges. They have nothing to do with one another except they are both masters/fruits.

Yea, I agree. After reading your comments again, they make no sense. The sole purpose of the AP program is to gain admission into medical school. I would say that the majority (if not all) AP students could care less about the masters. So I think you suck for thinking that the changed to the AP program was good. :mad:

So the linkage between RFU and CMS has been dropped? I thought that they just changed the course work, not the overall purpose of the program?

USArmyDoc said:
Yea, I agree. After reading your comments again, they make no sense. The sole purpose of the AP program is to gain admission into medical school. I would say that the majority (if not all) AP students could care less about the masters. So I think you suck for thinking that the changed to the AP program was good. :mad:

Exactly NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE goes to the AP program for any reason other than to get into MD school.

So the linkage between RFU and CMS has been dropped? I thought that they just changed the course work, not the overall purpose of the program?

I dont know the exact answer on this but I would assume that there is still linkage but someone needs to talk to someone at school. If they dropped the linkage then NO ONE would enroll in this thing. Its not like North Chicago (35 miles north of the city) is a desireable location. It is 6 degrees in downtown chicago this morning. :eek: