***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Likkriue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still the only one with a beat out in Long Island so continuing the nice trend.

Here are some links to previous years to answer your questions.

1. ***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

2.***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

3. ***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

4. ***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***
5. ***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I can and will answer all questions. Literally anything. PM me if it’s NSFW.

Link to interview prep: SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the clinical experience like at Stony Brook? I applied based on family orthodontist recommendation. What are the rough exit requirement numbers for extractions/root canals?

The clinical experience for certain procedures is great and weak in others. we have some of the highest requirements for crowns and dentures. Because we do a ton of those. However Endo however is not the strongest, I think we are required to do about 2-3?

I don’t know the extraction requirements but these are the least problematic from what I’ve seen. People are more worried about finishing up all the dentures they have to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to follow this thread - received an email about a week ago & my application is under review! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone received interview invites yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone having difficulty submitting their payment for the supplemental fee? Everytime I try to, my payment from the last application cycle appears and it won't let me pay.

Has anyone heard back for interview invites?

Are you in state? What are you stats? Also, congratulations!!!!!
Thank you! I'm excited the most for this school!
In-state
Stats are sGPA: 3.99 | oGPA: 3.99
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/27/21/30/none

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an invite today. It's for Friday! Short notice but I'm excited.

Interview #5
School:
Stony Brook
Notification date: 09/10
Method of notification: Email
Residency: New York
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/05
Application complete date: 07/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.39, 3.48 (3.9 Master's)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/22/23/no
Interview date/Dates Available: 09/16 (09/13 is the other available)

Just received an invite!!!
Interview #5
School:
Stony Brook
Notification date: 09/11
Residency: New York
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/26
Application complete date: 07/29
GPA (science, overall): 3.95, 3.94
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/24/19/28/none
Interview date/Dates Available: 9/20

Last edited:
Congrats guys! Always exciting to interview here.

Got an invitation for this monday ( :heckyeah: ), has anyone been able to successfully reschedule? Also, for anyone who has already had their interview, what was it like?? Please and thank you :)

Got an invitation for this monday ( :heckyeah: ), has anyone been able to successfully reschedule? Also, for anyone who has already had their interview, what was it like?? Please and thank you :)
Was originally invited for 9/20 but told them I couldn’t make it. Received another invitation a few days later for 9/23

Does anyone know what the interview day is like and how many the school interviews and accepts?

Class stats for the class of 23

Overall gpa 3.7 and sci gpa 3.63
AA and Sci - 22
Oos: 22%
Applicants: just above 1000

Good luck!!

Interview #6
School: Stony Brook
Notification date: 9/25
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/4
Application complete date: 7/13
GPA (science, overall): 3.48, 3.64
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/24/25/None
Interview Date: 10/15

Was originally invited for 9/20 but told them I couldn’t make it. Received another invitation a few days later for 9/23

How did your interview go?

Does anyone know what the interview day is like and how many the school interviews and accepts?

The Interview Day roughly consists of
- an admissions presentation
- a financial aid presentation
- tour of the school with D2s
- short mini-interview with a D4
- Two traditional 1-on-1 interviews with Faculty.

The day starts approximately around 10am and ends around 2-2:30ish.

Hope this helps :)

The Interview Day roughly consists of
- an admissions presentation
- a financial aid presentation
- tour of the school with D2s
- short mini-interview with a D4
- Two traditional 1-on-1 interviews with Faculty.

The day starts approximately around 10am and ends around 2-2:30ish.

Hope this helps :)

And don’t forget about the lunch right before you start interviewing. Good luck!

Interview #4
School: Stony Brook
Notification date: 10/16
Residency: TX
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/12
GPA (BCPM, overall): 3.61, 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/24/21/23/nah
Interview Date: 11/4

3 interviews is overkill...makes me want to just decline the invite lol

The interview with the D4 is just a casual conversation before your real interviews. I don't think it really holds any weight

Pretty well, thanks! Came into it with Stony as top choice and that’s still true.

What do you like about the school? Are you from the area? If not, do you think a city person could do well in that environment?

What do you like about the school? Are you from the area? If not, do you think a city person could do well in that environment?
like everyone else I like the small class size and biomedical curriculum, I'm from NYC and personally like that suburban feel but it depends on the person

I'm OOS and interviewing next week. Can someone fill me in about the curriculum grading didactic and in clinic? did it used to be P/F and no longer so?

Got an interview today! 2 november dates offered

Question for anyone who has interviewed. The below is copied from the interview invitation email. Do they really want to see all that stuff? I think they just meant bring SOME form of ID, which seems more reasonable. Eh?

Be sure to bring the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with you when you come to your interview (COPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED):

• ID documentation (Driver's license)
  • Confirmation of residency status (Permanent Resident Card, Visa, Passport)
  • A passport type 2x2 inch headshot photograph of yourself taken within the past 6 months
  • Health insurance card which must indicate the policy holder's name
  • Automobile registration

Question for anyone who has interviewed. The below is copied from the interview invitation email. Do they really want to see all that stuff? I think they just meant bring SOME form of ID, which seems more reasonable. Eh?

Be sure to bring the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with you when you come to your interview (COPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED):

• ID documentation (Driver's license)
  • Confirmation of residency status (Permanent Resident Card, Visa, Passport)
  • A passport type 2x2 inch headshot photograph of yourself taken within the past 6 months
  • Health insurance card which must indicate the policy holder's name
  • Automobile registration
Yeah you'll need to bring each of those items; the director of admissions scanned each one of the items requested.

Yeah you'll need to bring each of those items; the director of admissions scanned each one of the items requested.
This wasn't the case for me personally, she just asked for license, passport, and 2x2 picture. I had all the other things but didn't give them
It is better safe than sorry, of course

I'm OOS and interviewing next week. Can someone fill me in about the curriculum grading didactic and in clinic? did it used to be P/F and no longer so?

Didactic Courses are A/B/C/F.
Clinic Courses are actually going to potentially stay H/P/F. :angelic:

When the D2s enter clinic in January, the clinic grading will be 100% solidified so don't let the ABC Clinic Grading deter you from interviewing or considering Stony Brook. :D

The interview with the D4 is just a casual conversation before your real interviews. I don't think it really holds any weight
I believe it holds some weight. Otherwise they wouldn't have a sheet with our names and space for them to write feedback. Their feedback is certainly weighed less than faculty interviews, but it probably counts for something.

During our tour the D2's did not take us into the clinical areas. I thought this was a huge oversight considering we will be working there for years. Did they just forget, or was that not a part of the tour? Every other school walked us through clinical areas.

Reactions: 2 users
During our tour the D2's did not take us into the clinical areas. I thought this was a huge oversight considering we will be working there for years. Did they just forget, or was that not a part of the tour? Every other school walked us through clinical areas.

Our guides said they weren’t allowed to I think, something to do with patient privacy

However they’re supposedly getting renovated so it wouldn’t have mattered anyways since it’ll be done by the time we get there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
on the other hand though, fingers super crossed for dec 2nd... stony was my favorite school by far

We also were not allowed into the clinic but were encouraged to peek through the windows.... Seemed weird to me since clinic can be a big determining factor.

D4 interview definitely holds some weight but probably not a ton considering it was a blind interview for them. No essays, no stats, no real knowledge of us. Hopefully you make a good impression without your test scores!

My portal just changed to offer made! no email or call yet. wow i am shocked!!