1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

The only one from my school!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by asdfg, May 9, 2008.

1. asdfg

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was the only one from my school to be accepted last year. There were about ten people that applied. Anyone with a similar situation? How many do you know from your school ending up getting in?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. swtcatastrophe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    there are 3 predents in my graduating class. all 3 got in.

4. MnBr63

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Did you have "pre-dental" groups at your schools with so few predents? What was the size of your school? Not trying to ruffle feathers... I'm just curious.

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am quite sure you would not be able to find out who got in or didn't get in.
    I am a predent and no one in my school knows that I am....

6. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student
    2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    3 predents at MIT? Not surprised that all 3 got in, even if they have low scores.

7. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think my school averages about 45 applicants per year just from the predental club (there were at least 4 others outside the club that applied this year), and I think the acceptance rate is about 50%. It is that low because a bunch of students think they are entitled to go to dental school because daddy is a dentist, and because of that mindset they don't really try too hard.

8. thimsmits

2+ Year Member

I only had knew one other predental student in my class, and he got in. Our class was about 2,000. Everyone at my school was going to medical school.

9. airsimon

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    there's like1237655776677665 presents at byu. A few years ago 100% got in. That number has dropped considerably in the past couple of years

10. thimsmits

2+ Year Member

Its funny how that works. It seems like if there is a good amount of predents it stirs up other students interest and then the numbers shoot up. If there only a few predents, the students don't see the great attributes of dentistry as a career.

11. golfer

golfer I'm busy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Was it christmas or something?
    :laugh:

12. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Why? Do schools care that much about what school we went to for undergrad?

13. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    To a certain extent, yes.

14. swtcatastrophe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    no predental groups. about 4500 undergrads, 1100 in my class.

15. swtcatastrophe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think the other 2 girls had higher stats than me. one had a 3.9 and a 22; she's going to HSDM and doing their HST program as well. i don't know the third girl's stats but i get the impression she performed better than i did. i just wanted to establish, for their sake, i think they could've gone anywhere for college and gotten in. i don't think there is a lot of preferential treatment for your undergrad and i think it can only help you if you go to a top school. it won't hurt you if you don't. i'm positive that it made a difference for me personally. there are lots of threads about this, so let's not rehash.

16. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    There are about 10 predents per class here. Most freshman come in wanting to go into allopathic or osteopathic medicine and then switch to pre-dent junior year and then decide to do neither.

17. MnBr63

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm going to agree with Jigabodo on this one. A good GPA from a school that is well known for its difficult curriculum is going to look better than a good GPA from "South Obscure City State Jr. College and tradeschool" unknown curriculum. Isn't this partially why schools are often ranked and why peole are concerned about going to better schools?

18. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I sure hope your right, but I heard schools care heavily for their stats, as in accepting a 4.0 from North Obscure City State Jr. College rather than a 3.6 from a tough school where we worked very hard. I do have a 3.6 by the way.

19. MnBr63

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wouldn't doubt that you're right about some schools loving only #s.

I attended 2 schools in the same university system. I can tell you that the classes I took at the sister school were SIGNIFICANTLY easier than the flagship counterpart. I had to really earn my B's and struggle to get A's at the latter... I had a 101 in one biology class at the former.

It makes me wonder why I even transferred if I can make better grades at one school, and it looks better than if i challenged myself at a tougher school.