The OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbapunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Convince me!

So I'm accepted at three schools (MI, Penn and OSU), but Ohio is my top choice right now. The school was really impressive and I'm excited to go somewhere with strong large and small animal divisions. However, I have a bitter taste in my mouth because I first got a letter saying I was on the wait list, and then one day later got a letter saying I was accepted (I'm oos). So I'm trying to get over this and think on the positive side. What do you guys love about OSU? The professors, the staff, the classes, columbus, buckeyes? Why did you chose OSU?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats on having 3 offers. Consider it a good thing that you DO have a choice! :)

Now, first, don't worry about being accepted off the waiting list. Seriously. All that means is that your application, out of LOTS of other applications, was ranked very high, but just not high enough to be in the first round. it's not because anyone looked at your application negatively. If they had looked at your application negatively, you wouldn't have gotten in at all. There's nothing bad about being accepted off the wait list - the class valedictorian of my class was accepted off a wait list.

I would tell anyone that they should go 1) whereever you think you will be happiest for 4 years and 2) consider whether there's a significant cost advantage at either place. You will appreciate a lower student loan payment at the end of it all, and really any of those schools will give you a good basic education.

I have a number of friends that went to OSU and had very good experiences. MSU and Penn would be good choices as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand experience with OSU. Good luck wherever you go!

Convince me!

So I'm accepted at three schools (MI, Penn and OSU), but Ohio is my top choice right now. The school was really impressive and I'm excited to go somewhere with strong large and small animal divisions. However, I have a bitter taste in my mouth because I first got a letter saying I was on the wait list, and then one day later got a letter saying I was accepted (I'm oos). So I'm trying to get over this and think on the positive side. What do you guys love about OSU? The professors, the staff, the classes, columbus, buckeyes? Why did you chose OSU?

Thanks a bunch!

OSU offers IS tuition after the first year. MI and Penn don't.

All three are great schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm down at symposium right now, but I will comment in depth when I get back. Obviously I think that OSU is the way to go ;).

I go to OSU b/c I love Buckeye football!! Go Bucks!

But seriously...I'm finishing my Master's in Vet Public Health at OSU now and I love the school, the professors, everything. I didn't apply anywhere else, so I didn't have a choice to make either..haha. The profs are great and accessible and everyone I know going through now loves it. But again, I'm partial.

Professors/Classes: We have some amazing faculty that are very dedicated to education and the students. They are very open to helping students whenever they need it and are incredibly quality! Therefore, our classes are also great and well organized.

Columbus: The best thing about Columbus is you have city life, but it isn't such a big city that the traffic/parking is impossible. Although we have great culture and city life we also have more rural/suburban areas in very close proximity to the vet school, really there is something for everyone.

Buckeyes: You can probably figure this one out for themselves. Ohio State has some great fans to go along with our great sports. We also just signed the #1 football recruit in the country (to join an already strong class), so next season should be great!

Ditto to everything ri23 said!

As far as the letter...it's possible that they sent out the letter telling you you were waitlisted, but then someone who was accepted declined admission, so they sent you the acceptance letter right away. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I go to OSU b/c I love Buckeye football!! Go Bucks!

But seriously...I'm finishing my Master's in Vet Public Health at OSU now and I love the school, the professors, everything. I didn't apply anywhere else, so I didn't have a choice to make either..haha. The profs are great and accessible and everyone I know going through now loves it. But again, I'm partial.

:hijacked: Hey winkle, I applied for the MPH-VPH program. What do you think about doing the MPH and DVM at the same time? Dr. Hoet told me over the phone that he thinks I could definitely do it...

BACK ON TOPIC: I got into The Ohio State University (still makes me laugh) off the alternate list this morning. Although I didn't really have much of a choice (I didn't get into my IS school), I was really impressed by the overall atmosphere and facilities at Ohio State. They seem to be pretty diverse, which is important to me because I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do.

Im thinking about doing a joint degree also. Does anyone know how to logistics of it work out? Like a year on and a year off for the other degree?

should we set up some kind of group to get tickets next to eachother at the football games?

I talked with Reefervet and he set up a group for the football games, name and password are 'cvm2012'. I just orderd my season tickets.