The other side?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Do any of you anesthesia residents/attendings ever wish you were on the other side of that curtain? I have a friend who has been planning on anesthesia for a while but has recently found himself thinking of performing the surgeries...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bounty said:
Hi everyone
Do any of you anesthesia residents/attendings ever wish you were on the other side of that curtain? I have a friend who has been planning on anesthesia for a while but has recently found himself thinking of performing the surgeries...

Thanks!

If you are thinking about performing the surgeries, then do a surgery residency. I for one have NEVER thought about doing the surgeries and thank God every day that I chose anesthesia.

Only when Im in the 3rd hour of a routine lap chole....

Only when at the 1hr mark of an open appy....

I am so sure I could do a lap chole in 45minutes or less skin to skin I would put my first born on the line

Members don't see this ad :)
At 03:00 and into the 2nd hour of the c-section, I would love to take over sewing for the OB intern or medical student because I sure as hell could sew faster. Then I could go back to sleep!

As an ex-surgery resident I find myself never wanting to be on the other side of the drape....anesthesia is simply a blessing and the wisest choice i made was switch in time...its a beautiful thing doing intricate but short procedures and playing with real time physio-pharmacology and not rounding on anyone :rolleyes:

Bounty said:
Hi everyone

Thanks!

To OP
I've always loved the actual surgical procedures. The problem I have with surgery is the pre-op OP visit, the post-op roundx3, the OP follow-up, etc...
With anesthesia, the drawback is that you won't be spending much time cutting and stitching, unless of course you're doing some cutting edge pain management. So, although I won't be doing the actual surgery, I also won't be rounding on a lap-choley 6 times over the next day or so, not to mention the OP followup. For me, this is a reasonable trade-off.
Sorry if I seem cynical, but I just don't feel that most other fields of medicine are as efficient as anesthesia. I like the quick turnover, and instant gratification.

lvspro said:
To OP
I've always loved the actual surgical procedures. The problem I have with surgery is the pre-op OP visit, the post-op roundx3, the OP follow-up, etc...
With anesthesia, the drawback is that you won't be spending much time cutting and stitching, unless of course you're doing some cutting edge pain management. So, although I won't be doing the actual surgery, I also won't be rounding on a lap-choley 6 times over the next day or so, not to mention the OP followup. For me, this is a reasonable trade-off.
Sorry if I seem cynical, but I just don't feel that most other fields of medicine are as efficient as anesthesia. I like the quick turnover, and instant gratification.

What this guy said

I totally agree with the above post. I hate rounding, and then rounding, and then rounding again with pimping of students. So....you're not in the cockpit driving the car, but you still get to watch awesome surgeries and still do a job that ALL patients need. You get to do tons of procedures and have adequate pateint contact. I love this field of medicine and never wish to be across the drape or rounding on surgical/medical patients....to me it's all about instant gratification and moving on to the next patient.

EV-Stentor said:
and not rounding on anyone :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll 2nd that opinion. When I get into the hospital tomorrow at 0515 to pre-round on my 9 ICU patients I won't be in a good mood. If we are still rounding at 10:45 like we were today, I will be hating life. At least until I remember that my countdown to the end of internship is now measured in days and not months.