The Pace of PT School (Saint Augustine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fejin757

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent in all of my application materials to USA and one thing just occurred to me...

I've never had particularly good study habits and the whole 'drinking from a firehouse' mentality of pt school has me worried. Since I'm leaving my full time job behind, and taking an enormous amount of debt...I'm kind of scarred as to what would happen if I don't pass a class or don't meet the minimums for that class. I understand the concept of keeping up with my notes but I'm honestly afraid of the pace. :confused: Especially since University of Saint Augustine is an accelerated program.

I know I should be focused on preparing for the interview but I was wondering if anyone previously had bad study habits and what approach you used to overcome them. Or if anyone just had a hard time adjusting to PT School

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I had particularly good study habits before I got started PT school. I was a major procrastinator. Luckily, I was always able to pull off good grades by just studying 2 nights before an exam. I also had bad organizational habits. I could never exactly get down using a planner/calendar.

PT school changed all of that. I am queen of the calendar now. I schedule every assignment, class, event, and workout on my planner. I also study every day (it is literally impossible to just study the night before an exam in PT school because of the mass amounts of info. Every day is basically a cram session where you are trying to get all of your reading and preparation done) It actually wasn't too hard to adjust to all of this because the people around you are going through it too and everyone is really supportive of each other. It was a lifestyle change, but I was very motivated to succeed so I welcomed the change.

It seems like the first few weeks of school everyone is adjusting in their own ways. Your poor study habits are just that. They are habits. They can be changed with hard work and you can succeed at PT school!

Even though "drinking out of a firehose" is really the best metaphor I have ever heard for what PT school is like, it is also important to remember that PT school is really fun! It isn't like undergrad where you have to take a bunch of random classes you don't care about. If you are passionate about PT, you will be passionate about your course material, and that will make it easier.

Good luck!

I don't think I had particularly good study habits before I got started PT school. I was a major procrastinator. Luckily, I was always able to pull off good grades by just studying 2 nights before an exam. I also had bad organizational habits. I could never exactly get down using a planner/calendar.

PT school changed all of that. I am queen of the calendar now. I schedule every assignment, class, event, and workout on my planner. I also study every day (it is literally impossible to just study the night before an exam in PT school because of the mass amounts of info. Every day is basically a cram session where you are trying to get all of your reading and preparation done) It actually wasn't too hard to adjust to all of this because the people around you are going through it too and everyone is really supportive of each other. It was a lifestyle change, but I was very motivated to succeed so I welcomed the change.

It seems like the first few weeks of school everyone is adjusting in their own ways. Your poor study habits are just that. They are habits. They can be changed with hard work and you can succeed at PT school!

Even though "drinking out of a firehose" is really the best metaphor I have ever heard for what PT school is like, it is also important to remember that PT school is really fun! It isn't like undergrad where you have to take a bunch of random classes you don't care about. If you are passionate about PT, you will be passionate about your course material, and that will make it easier.

Good luck!

Thanks, that's really encouraging! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently attend St Augustine and yes, likeany other pt school the amount of info we get in the amount of time can be over whelming at first. In under grad I was the type of person to study on the the night before the test. HUGE PROCRASTINATOR!!!! but youdo develop into a better student once you start taking time out of your day to study. You will do fine, you just have to stay on top of things and be orginized. if can do well anyone can

I'm a current student at St. Aug. Yeah, they do pretty much keep throwing new information at you but you will survive. So far so good.

Hey, thanks for the responses. I'm excited for the interview!