The Pharmacy College Application process: Summarization please? Please help guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

XxAlbertoxX

Pharm.D-etermined!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,so Spring 2012 semester is ABOUT to start, and I'm working as a pharmacy tech. and a Senior status with 90 credit hours.

I have a 3.40 GPA and a 3.7 in math science. I ONLY have Organic II lab, Immunology (Only for Purdue), Biochem (Again, only Purdue requires this), and Human Anatomy Physiology left to take.

I can take those classes fall 2012, So I should be done by 2013 spring.

I've been working 40 hours in the pharmacy this winter break and been out of the mix - and now that it's getting close to Take the PCAT and apply, I need some guidance.

1) are most Pharmacy colleges/Pharm CAS deadline Feb 1??? and They re-open September 1?

So that means I will have to apply sometime fall (Septemberish) this year 2012 to get into for the spring 2013 year at the EARLIEST? So there is a gap between february and September?

The PCAT is being administered in July this year so I'm going to cram/study for 4-5 months and take it then. I feel faily confident in my sciences; that is my strong point.

I can get my letters of recommendation easily, since i've done Research with my chemistry teachers and volunteered in biology club and am S.I'ing (student tutor) for biology this semster and can even get some from my Pharmacy managers at work easily.

I just need to get all this sortered out, I kind of feel overwhelmed and I really need to meet with my guidance counselor. I just wanted to have everything sorted out and be able to let her know what schools I'm going to apply for and what I already signed up for - I don't want to appear to be "in the dark" b/c I don't think they respect that.

The main schools I have picked so far and it looks like I can have the requirements down by 2013 spring are Purdue University and University of Illinois.

This is the UIC requirements page:
http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/prospective_students/prepharmacy_coursework.php

and Purdue U:
http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/academics/prepharm/curriculum.php

So can someone summarize the application process? I know not all schools need the PCAT (PU does NOT but UIC does), and I'm still a little bit confused about the deadlines (end in Feburary and close until September when they reopen?)

What happens if something happens and you can't get that "1 class" finished by spring 2013 and you get admitted? Do they take away your admission since you apply 1 year early? What about Pharm CAS? Is there some resource to explain it all?

It seems there's broken shards of information out everywhere...
 
... OK, sure, why not.

CAVEAT: I just did the PharmCAS thing for the 2011 cycle, but I have no special insight beyond that. I have never applied to UIC or Purdue.

PharmCAS usually opens in June, IIRC, so you can start filling out your application well before any of the deadlines.

UIC has rolling application review starting in September, so you want to get yours in as early as is possible so you're competing for the maximum number of open seats.

Purdue has a December 1 deadline, but you must complete both PharmCAS and their supplemental (available on their website) prior to that deadline.

You will need to have all of your prereqs required by the program done before matriculation. Remember, you can try other colleges than the one you're currently going to... Sometimes community college credit works too, and in rare cases, after you're admitted, you might be able to get permission to do a non-science prereq online. I'd cross this bridge when you come to it, while doing your best to front-load prereqs into your Fall 2012 schedule.

Your prereqs don't look that far off of other colleges I've looked at. You might be able to broaden your choices without too many crazy classes.

Summary:
- The biggest advice I can give you is... Start early.
- Take your PCAT in July. If you need to retake, you still have time to do it in September, but it makes the whole process go smoother if you take it in July. Make sure you put down PharmCAS in the recipient field.
- Begin your PharmCAS application soon after it opens in June.
- Soon after you begin the PharmCAS application, skip to the transcript section. There is a page that should be included when your transcripts are sent from the colleges. Get this squared away early, it can cut some waiting time down while you work on the rest of the application.
- Request your LORs early too, probably at a similar time as the transcripts. Remember to talk to your letter writers before you save their info at PharmCAS, because the e-mail is sent to them right away. You may consider sending your writers a thank-you card. 🙂
- Finish up & submit your PharmCAS application; pay the application fee. After you submit, they will start the GPA verification process (assuming all your transcripts are there). Depending on what part of the cycle you're in, GPA verification can take up to 5 weeks. Protip: You don't have to wait for all of the LORs & test scores to be in. While your application won't be considered complete at UIC or Purdue until those required items are received, once PharmCAS gets them, PharmCAS will send them on to your schools.
- Complete the Purdue supplemental application.
- Wait. Hardest step.
- I assume UIC sends a supplemental to students that make the "first cut." Fill this out & send it back as soon as possible upon receipt.
- Wait some more.
- Once the December 1 deadline passes, Purdue will probably review all complete applications and send interview invitations. UIC sends interview invitations on a rolling basis throughout the cycle.
- Schedule your interview; prep using the interview feedback tool (linked at the top of the page). Complete the interviews.
- Wait even more.
- Dance like a maniac when you get the acceptance letter / call / e-mail. 😀
- Realize that you still have classes and play catch up. 😉 Sign up for the Spring classes you're going to need for your school of choice. If your #1 is UIC, depending on how quick they turn around, you might know very early. If you're holding out for Purdue, you will probably need to sign up for Spring courses as if you're going to Purdue even though you won't know if you're going yet. You might find the past pre-pharm class-specific threads helpful in knowing what to expect.
- Put down any deposits, complete any paperwork the CoP needs.

That third-to-last step is optional. 😛

PS, Thanks for including the links. I wish more people did so... It makes it easier for me. It took me a minute to find it, but here are the admissions requirements pages in case they are helpful to you:

http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/prospective_students/application_process.php

http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/academics/pharmd/admissions.php
 
Good info so far!
I am applying to Purdue this cycle and have spoken with the admissions director several times, so I'll add my two cents. I saw you had immuno and biochem, but have you taken stats? That's also a new requirement for Purdue.

They really value what you do outside of school and with your work experience and student mentoring you will be very competitive. There are sections on the supplemental for volunteer, leadership, work experience, and pharmacy career exploration (ie shadowing). You can double up on what you put in each section, but don't do it too much. Fill the supplemental out COMPLETELY. Don't leave anything blank.

I'm not sure if you are actually in Indiana or ILL, but Purdue gives preference to their own students, then Indiana students, and then out of state.(not to say you won't get in, but just so you are aware) xtuskiyox is correct that purdue does not do rolling admissions. They won't even send out interview invites until late Jan/early Feb.

Hope that helps some. PM me if you need more info.