The programs that you don't match at.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused_amused

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the programs that you don't end up matching at will end up contacting you after the match? There's a couple of programs that I liked, and that kept in good contact with me, that I didn't rank in my top couple of spots. I almost feel like these programs will be "let down" by not matching applicants that they probably think that they have a good shot at getting. Maybe i'm naive and programs are used to not matching everyone that they hope to, but one program really went above and beyond to make my wife and I feel comfortable. I wonder if they'll contact me afterwards to see why i chose to not rank them first, or if I should contact them to thank them for everything and wish them luck? Or should I do nothing? Maybe some of the current residents have some insight from the program's point of view?

Members don't see this ad.

Once you match, I would write a letter (or email) to the PD of the programs you really liked/were impressed by/want to keep in touch with telling them where you're going (why also if you want - location, whatever...) and that you were really happy to meet them and look forward to working with them in the future, etc etc wide world of family med etc. It can't hurt. There are lots of people I met on the interview trail that I'd hope to keep in touch with, in some fashion.

I prematched, and so already wrote these letters to a number of pds.

gl!

i agree. those programs taht you *really* were close with deserve a letter at least. i prematched, so iactaully went in person to two places to tell them face-to-face. it was sad, actually.

such a tough decision this whole match thing is! :(

i'm glad i did it, and i think they really appreciated it (or so they said!)...

and you will run into these people in the future at conferences and such, so why not? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The only negative is that all of the programs are within 2 hours of each other. So they will be the programs that we'll be recruiting against in the next couple of years for applicants. So I don't know if they'll be appreciative or not.

i agree. those programs taht you *really* were close with deserve a letter at least. i prematched, so iactaully went in person to two places to tell them face-to-face. it was sad, actually.

such a tough decision this whole match thing is! :(

i'm glad i did it, and i think they really appreciated it (or so they said!)...

and you will run into these people in the future at conferences and such, so why not? :)

wow you went in person.. impressive. but i agree with you. i will contact them at least, not in person though as they are too far, but they were all so nice and receptive and deserve at least a blurb telling them I still respect their program and appreciate everything they did.. after all we all may be future collegeaus as well,

One program that I didn't match with contacted me at 12:10 (no lie) and asked why I didn't rank them #1. They said they always call people so that they can "improve". It was weird and awkward.

One program that I didn't match with contacted me at 12:10 (no lie) and asked why I didn't rank them #1. They said they always call people so that they can "improve". It was weird and awkward.

Yikes! Some programs told me they would send me an anonymous survey afterwards but calling? Especially right after the match! Did you answer the phone? That's dreadful... where are you going doc oc? :)

that is weird.. i have never heard of that..

that is weird.. i have never heard of that..

Ok, that is weird. I'm not going to respond to phone calls from programs that week. I will write my #2 a letter telling them why I decided not to rank them #1, since I spent some time there and know them pretty well. Other than that, I don't feel like I have any obligation to help programs "improve"....it ususally comes down to factors other than the program itself, anyway, like location. Also, I imagine most programs already have a pretty good idea of what they are weak in, so why torture me by making me tell them in person?

Yeah, DocOc, don't keep us in suspense!

I'm going to Southern Illinois University in Quincy, Illinois. They are dually accredited and I matched through the AOA match. I loved it there - and their program had unique things that fit what I was looking for.

I don't want to mention the program that called. I didn't know it was a program when the phone rang - it said "unknown caller". Normally, I don't answer these, but we are applying for mortgages and I thought it might be one of the agents calling us back.

I told them that I liked their program and have nothing but great things to say about them if anyone asks, but after talking with my husband, this other program and its location was our preference. In any case, the atmosphere on the phone was that awkward-but-forced-cordial, kind of like when your boss smiles while criticizing you. I was uncomfortable, but determined to be professional, because I could see these people again at a conference or in practice.

Anyway, it was so weird, that I emailed my #2 and #3 and let them know that I matched through the AOA match, said a few nice things that I thought about their program, and thanked them for the opportunity.

Hopefully, no more weird calls.

I'm going to Southern Illinois University in Quincy, Illinois. They are dually accredited and I matched through the AOA match. I loved it there - and their program had unique things that fit what I was looking for.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!

I'm so jealous...I still have another grueling 4 weeks...

I don't want to mention the program that called. I didn't know it was a program when the phone rang - it said "unknown caller". Normally, I don't answer these, but we are applying for mortgages and I thought it might be one of the agents calling us back.

I told them that I liked their program and have nothing but great things to say about them if anyone asks, but after talking with my husband, this other program and its location was our preference. In any case, the atmosphere on the phone was that awkward-but-forced-cordial, kind of like when your boss smiles while criticizing you. I was uncomfortable, but determined to be professional, because I could see these people again at a conference or in practice.

Anyway, it was so weird, that I emailed my #2 and #3 and let them know that I matched through the AOA match, said a few nice things that I thought about their program, and thanked them for the opportunity.

Hopefully, no more weird calls.

conratss:thumbup: