The rare true update: Being smart about sending it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When to send an update: Now or after being waitlisted?

• Send it now

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Save it

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

ltrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that a paper on which I'm an author is now "in press." I have a real update. However, as we draw close to decisions being made by many schools, I'm wondering when the best time to "spend" this update is. Should I send now by email, confirming my interest in hopes that it will be received before decisions are made? Or should I save it to help me get off an inevitable waitlist?

We also have two other papers currently submitted, one of which I'm a first author on, but it seems very likely that I'll be done with this whole application game before they come through.

Other thoughts are welcome. Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

you have 3 acceptances already?

I dunno, I'd say just send it whenever. I'd rather send it before the waitlist is announced. What if everyone they offer an acceptance to takes it?

i'd say save it for schools like harvard & ucsf, who have probably already made, at the very least, 1st round decisions on your application.

but for schools who will announce more towards mid-march, like cornell, i'd say send it. i think that 1 week difference is a big one.

overall, your application seems strong and you've already been working in research for 2 years, with pubs (according to your mdapps), so i don't think it will come as a surprise that you're publishing again. it seems more like this is an update in terms of "interest", which obviously won't hurt you. but i agree that i'd want to hold back on this little gold nugget for those waitlists (i hope they don't come, but honestly... better safe than sorry)

:luck: to my fellow MIT-er

i'd say save it for schools like harvard & ucsf, who have probably already made, at the very least, 1st round decisions on your application.

but for schools who will announce more towards mid-march, like cornell, i'd say send it. i think that 1 week difference is a big one.

overall, your application seems strong and you've already been working in research for 2 years, with pubs (according to your mdapps), so i don't think it will come as a surprise that you're publishing again. it seems more like this is an update in terms of "interest", which obviously won't hurt you. but i agree that i'd want to hold back on this little gold nugget for those waitlists (i hope they don't come, but honestly... better safe than sorry)

:luck: to my fellow MIT-er

Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right...new pubs when you already have others probably mean less than first pubs.

GL to you too...go Beavers! ;)

It seems that "send it now" is winning...