The rejection thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got shot down at Harvard(I was expecting that), BU(ouch!), Marquette, Nova, and Temple(grrrrr!!). Schools are just not giving me an excuse to travel some more and make my case.:(

Members don't see this ad.

is all of that on aadsas??

Thank you, OP, for finally making a thread for those of us who are not as enthused as everyone else right now. I have rejections from Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and now today, Marquette.

It is quite possibly the most frustrating thing in the world to have spent the past 2 years doing everything possible to try and get into dental school, and then getting 4 rejections and only 1 interview before December even starts. I want to check my status every 30 seconds but I'm so afraid I'm just going to see another rejection. I am so beyond trying to remain upbeat and positive. I'd love to just completely forget about my application all together... and maybe go join the circus. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
so will schools post app/denials today on AADSAS even if you havent even gotten an interview there?

yes. a friend of mine has no interviews yet and was rejected from schools on aadsas

is all of that on aadsas??

Some from aadsas some by letter. The temple one is not a formal letter rejecting me but it was denying me an interview which in effect is a rejection.

Thank you, OP, for finally making a thread for those of us who are not as enthused as everyone else right now. I have rejections from Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and now today, Marquette.

It is quite possibly the most frustrating thing in the world to have spent the past 2 years doing everything possible to try and get into dental school, and then getting 4 rejections and only 1 interview before December even starts. I want to check my status every 30 seconds but I'm so afraid I'm just going to see another rejection. I am so beyond trying to remain upbeat and positive. I'd love to just completely forget about my application all together... and maybe go join the circus. :mad:

Amen to that! I didn't hear a word my bio chem teacher said today.... To busy thinking of what I'm going to do with my life...

Already rejected!! Marquette, UK, Ohio (pass dead-line), loma linda:cry:
...a few more coming in-line soon???

Some from aadsas some by letter. The temple one is not a formal letter rejecting me but it was denying me an interview which in effect is a rejection.

I loved the Temple rejection. It came via e-mail and it wasn't even addressed to me. It read,

Dear Dental School Applicant,

Hi there. when did you get the harvard rejection, and how did they let you know that?

I have 2 rejections out of 8 and one interview in Feb. With a date that far in the future I don't know if there is any hope.

Hang in there guys. I'm a re-applicant and just got 2 offers today. Last year I didn't even get a single interview. Stay strong.

so will schools post app/denials today on AADSAS even if you havent even gotten an interview there?

aadsas has been blank this entire time for me and now finally today UMDNJ updated it to say "received/under review." maybe they update all at once, rather periodically to make it easier on themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't lose hope, I am sure you will get accepted somewhere if you keep trying, just dont give up

Hi there. when did you get the harvard rejection, and how did they let you know that?

I got it about a week ago. I got the temple letter about a month ago.
The temple letter was not an official rejection letter but a letter saying that I am not going to get interviewed.:thumbdown:

I agree, don't lose hope, I am a second year app and got no invites last year, and just got 3 acceptances this morning!(Ohio st,VCU,Pitt)

FYI: I would have loved to have heard someone with a similar story to mine last year during my torturous months of "i think i'll still get an interview" and that's the sole reason I am taking the time to post this little bit of background info..
Last year-applied pretty early to 12 schools-june14, and had 3.19 sci/3.5overall from a competitive undergrad, got a 19 dat AA (16pat:(), but didn't hear a dang thing from any schools.
So I went another year of undergrad, worked my butt off to raise my sci gpa to a 3.31, and re-took the dat (although I pretty much got the same score minus the PAT I did better-19:)), did another 50 or so shadowing hours (which they loved-esp doing at various specialties), and did more volunteering, and got lucky enough to do research for semi easy A's to help out. In conlcusion, I got 7 interviews this year, and I am going to dental school despite the fact that things looked very bleak and hopeless last year... (ps I applied this year may 20th or so-and it seemed to make a difference) THE END

I agree, don't lose hope, I am a second year app and got no invites last year, and just got 3 acceptances this morning!(Ohio st,VCU,Pitt)

FYI: I would have loved to have heard someone with a similar story to mine last year during my torturous months of "i think i'll still get an interview" and that's the sole reason I am taking the time to post this little bit of background info..
Last year-applied pretty early to 12 schools-june14, and had 3.19 sci/3.5overall from a competitive undergrad, got a 19 dat AA (16pat:(), but didn't hear a dang thing from any schools.
So I went another year of undergrad, worked my butt off to raise my sci gpa to a 3.31, and re-took the dat (although I pretty much got the same score minus the PAT I did better-19:)), did another 50 or so shadowing hours (which they loved-esp doing at various specialties), and did more volunteering, and got lucky enough to do research for semi easy A's to help out. In conlcusion, I got 7 interviews this year, and I am going to dental school despite the fact that things looked very bleak and hopeless last year... (ps I applied this year may 20th or so-and it seemed to make a difference) THE END

Let me add by bit. I did meet a reapplicant at my Buffalo interview. A significant number of applicants are probably reapplicants so there is no shame in that. This is probably one reason why the number of applicants is so high this year.

Let me add by bit. I did meet a reapplicant at my Buffalo interview. A significant number of applicants are probably reapplicants so there is no shame in that. This is probably one reason why the number of applicants is so high this year.

Congrats on Buffalo (my official hometown)! I saw you posted in the acceptance thread! See? You didn't even have to hold out until Monday.

rejected from Nova and Temple :( omg I dont know what i'm going to do... I just want an interview.

I loved the Temple rejection. It came via e-mail and it wasn't even addressed to me. It read,

Dear Dental School Applicant,

I know they receive a lot of applications but they could make it a little more personable.

I know, that was ridiculous. Gave me a reason not to want to go anyway.

First, it's still really early, you know that, but, it's not unreasonable to be upset if you've gotten rejected or don't have interviews, or whatever is going wrong with your app. BUT AGAIN, IT'S REALLY EARLY, YOU MIGHT STILL GET IN. Happened to plenty people last year.

I was rejected last year from the one interview I had (UB)... and it felt pretty damn bad.

BUT... let's fast forward to the present...

I can't believe how happy I am right now... 3 offers already, and I still haven't heard from 3 schools! Waitlisted at my number one, but I'm not out of the game there yet!

From my experience, what got me through it was looking at the big picture... don't lose the drive for success... think of all the things you can do in one year that will make you a better person. Not going to dental school for a year and doing other things isn't the end of the world, not in anyway. There's always next year. My new favorite quote... "the stone that the builder refuse shall be the head corner stone!" - Bob Marley

Props to my fellow REAPPLICANTS if they got in, and to those rejected or without interviews... keep your head up, don't be a chump!

Already rejected!! Marquette, UK, Ohio (pass dead-line), loma linda:cry:
...a few more coming in-line soon???

how did you hear from loma linda? thanks...and best of luck to you

People who get in now are applicants that are deemed by the schools to be the "most competitive" hence higher priority. If you don't get in now don't worry they will me making decisions now based on how the initial batch of acceptees turn out.

I know, that was ridiculous. Gave me a reason not to want to go anyway.

I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if it said "Dear Dental School Applicant...Congratulations on being accepted..."

I just want to give everyone some cheering up. I had a horrible time at UF as an undergrad. I got in their early admission program to get my B.S. in 3 years and then do the whole DMD thing. I was in dental school at UF contingent on my GPA and DAT scores....well I missed my DAT by 1 point and got kicked out of their early admit program. So I had to take another year of classes and this year I got in. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT 1 MORE YEAR!!! It is worth every bit of effort and you will eventually get in somewhere and probably end up being a better doctor for it!!! Good luck to everybody and definitely don't give up.

Denied from Florida, UCSF, and Temple....:(

I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if it said "Dear Dental School Applicant...Congratulations on being accepted..."

Honestly, it was my last choice and it's not in a great area. I wasn't devastated.

i'm still depressed....:(

First, it's still really early, you know that, but, it's not unreasonable to be upset if you've gotten rejected or don't have interviews, or whatever is going wrong with your app. BUT AGAIN, IT'S REALLY EARLY, YOU MIGHT STILL GET IN. Happened to plenty people last year.

I was rejected last year from the one interview I had (UB)... and it felt pretty damn bad.

BUT... let's fast forward to the present...

I can't believe how happy I am right now... 3 offers already, and I still haven't heard from 3 schools! Waitlisted at my number one, but I'm not out of the game there yet!

From my experience, what got me through it was looking at the big picture... don't lose the drive for success... think of all the things you can do in one year that will make you a better person. Not going to dental school for a year and doing other things isn't the end of the world, not in anyway. There's always next year. My new favorite quote... "the stone that the builder refuse shall be the head corner stone!" - Bob Marley

Props to my fellow REAPPLICANTS if they got in, and to those rejected or without interviews... keep your head up, don't be a chump!

I love the quote t man... Thanks for the support... and congratulations!

rejected from ATSU, case , indiana, nova, maryland, upenn & waitlisted @ marquette and USC :( not a single interview...

I got rejected from Indiana, that was a long time ago..now it says if your stats change contact us for another review.. umm nothing for Boston, nothing written to MWU, nothing written for UCONN, Howard Blank as well. Ill- says reviewing going through a committee to evaluate GPA, DAT.. and so on.. UMKC- reviewing, NY and temple- blank, Meharry under review.. VCU under review..

So i guess having nothing is better than having a rejection.. i don't know.. i'm just bracing myself for the rejections to roll in...

Gosh.. i just want to go to dental school sooo badd... i just want one acceptance...

i had one interview so far and haven't heard anything from there yet..got rejected from Nova and UPenn...

Rejected from Marquette and Nova.... :sleep:

i dont know....but that is what the letter says

Did it say your application was "ON HOLD" at Marquette? That is the letter I received... I didn't really consider it wait-list since I haven't interviewed... but I'm trying to be optimistic and hope for consideration when and if the committee re-reviews...

I got rejected from Case, OSU, and NOVA before any of them even had my official DAT scores. I don't even know if they reviewed my application. Oh well.

-Cyrus

Did it say your application was "ON HOLD" at Marquette? That is the letter I received... I didn't really consider it wait-list since I haven't interviewed... but I'm trying to be optimistic and hope for consideration when and if the committee re-reviews...
Marquette's letter says the committee has decided to "HOLD" making a decision on your application at this time in the process..blah blah

USC says your app has completed the preliminary review and will remain under consideration until the class is finalized in early August....

Marquette's letter says the committee has decided to "HOLD" making a decision on your application at this time in the process..blah blah

USC says your app has completed the preliminary review and will remain under consideration until the class is finalized in early August....

I got the Marquette letter as well. I should probably withdraw my application soon.