"The Rescue"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camkiss

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to necrobump the thread from 2018 about the cave rescue of the Thai soccer team. Disney+ has a documentary about it called "The Rescue" and it is fantastic! I highly recommend watching. Balls of steel for all of those divers and kudos to the anesthesiologist Dr Harris for helping to save those kids!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
We're almost done with it. It's ridiculous how they rescued the kids with the sedation. Amazing.

One of my favorite quotes was something like the Thai navy couldn't understand how a bunch of out of shape middle age guys were doing this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I watched it a couple of days ago and even though I knew the story I was still quite literally at the edge of my seat for much of it. Amazing story, and a great example of how anesthesiologists have a "get it done" mindset.

Reactions: 1 users
Just watched it also. Phenomenal.

Seems like the tightly applied masks on the sedated kids caused intermittent obstruction. I wonder if they had access to oral airways.

Was also pretty wild that some of the non-MD divers had syringes of ketamine they would empirically give if they thought the kids were getting too jumpy.

Absolutely wild story.

Reactions: 2 users
Jimmy Chin also directed the 2018 documentary Free Solo about climber Alex Honnold being the first person to scale El Cap without any ropes. It's also on Disney+ and highly recommend it even if you're not a climbing fan.

Reactions: 4 users
I listened to a podcast about this and they said that there was the looming threat of criminal prosecution if one of the kids were to die from the sedation!

Reactions: 1 user
Watched it with my family after this recommendation. Everyone was glued to the screen. Crazy story of challenge and triumph.

CRNAs would've achieved the same result faster, cheaper, and with better rapport with the clients.

Love the story, he's a local legend.

Reactions: 3 users
CRNAs would've achieved the same result faster, cheaper, and with better rapport with the clients.

Love the story, he's a local legend.
“We are nurses, so we care for and rescue the whole soccer player.”
-probably a CRNA

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Jimmy Chin also directed the 2018 documentary Free Solo about climber Alex Honnold being the first person to scale El Cap without any ropes. It's also on Disney+ and highly recommend it even if you're not a climbing fan.
It's was interesting to see his MRI results or whatever they did basically showing he was numb to fear. I could barely rappel down the 60ft wall at basic training.

Just watched it. Jesus, the balls on those guys. Also insane how quickly they brought together a ragtag team of cave divers, like a scene from a movie.

Amazing story. I think most lay people are impressed with it, but one of the few stories where we anesthesiologists are probably even more impressed with how they did it.

Reactions: 2 users