The right path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Beoz

I will be applying to medical school in the summer of 2003. I will take my first MCAT in spring 2003 then again in august.

I need to score a 30+, and I don't want to risk the biscuit - what and when do I need to start prepping?

I am getting the audio osmosis CD's now and I will listen to those over this summer. I am taking an MCAT class next spring before my test.

Does this sound ok? What needs to be done?

I scored a 1340 (690math 650verbal) SAT - just telling you to give you an idea of my intellectual ability.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you gave us enough info to answer your question. Have you had all the pre-req courses? Did you understand them (this is different from doing well-- you can understand a class and get a C b/c your prof was crappy, and not understand and get an A b/c your prof only tested your memorization skills). And why are you planning on taking the Big Ugly (my pet name for the MCAT) twice? Are you not confident that you'll do well the first time? A big part of this test is confidence-- especially where the verbal section is concerned. Being confident about your back ground knowledge and your test-taking abilities is half the game in my book.

More info please (rough background-- major, courses taken...that sort of thing), and then we might be able to help more! :wink:

also-- your topic is "the right path?"-- i don't think that there's any one right path for anyone. give yourself enough prep time to figure out what the best study method is for you-- and practice hard. i recommend taking a class if for no other reason than it forces you to buckle down and study. hope this helps!!

I say "the right path" because I have no clue what to expect. Someone from a similar background might be able to help me on what to do and when to do it. I know I would have a lot of advise on the right path a freshman college student should take to get serious about medicine.

With that said, here is some more info:
3.73GPA w/ 3.6 science
all pre-reqs taken
Zoology(biology at OU) biomedical sciences major
Chemistry minor
Honors College reqs met
Lots of science courses taken (i am on the 5 year plan)

Members don't see this ad :)
if you take an mcat review course before the test, you're being a bio maj/chem min will probably handle the science just fine as it should seem kinda fundamental at this point. I wouldn't suggest gleaming over all your old science texts now, but maybe a month or so before review course, start reading the NY times\Wall Street Journal\Economist or pick up some Stephen Jay Gould or Thoreau. In any case, start reading!! If you're already a fast reader thats fine, but getting your verbal acuity a little sharper before starting to review will save you time and effort later.

p.s. beoz, i must say i hate your approach honestly, and you should grow to hate it too. Thinking you're going to take it twice before even reviewing for it is the worst possible attitude, this test (especially the verbal) is also a big exercise in confidence and self efficacy. What if your doctor said i'll diagnose you twice just in case i mess up the first time? Well, you'd be tempted to believe the chances he'd screw up the first time would be pretty darn high, wouldn't you?

You gotta say to yourself, "I'm gonna kill this thing", put in the time, do the work, be relaxed when test day comes, and you'll get the best score you can get. Trust me, taking once is already a big waste of three months of your life, you REALLY want to knock it out of the park the first time. Its all about confidence trust me. My girlfriend and I were both scoring a 30 on our last diag before real test. She (mind i think she's smarter than i am) freaked out the week before test day, studied non stop, burned herself out and puked the night before the test in a nervous fit, and got a 29Q. I just chilled before, realized i had put in as much effort as i could, went it saying i was gonna give it my best shot, 35R.

just say to yourself man, april 20ish, 2003, I'm gonna make that thing my B*TCH, and act accordingly.

DW, my premed comittee told me I should take it twice. Trust me when it comes to standardized tests - its balls to the wall for me.

I studied for just 12 hours and knocked down a 1340 SAT. I think if I prep the **** out of the MCAT materials I will be good for a mid to high 30's score.

I am confident that I will do well on the MCAT the first time but if its not 35+ im gonna try to improve.

Keep in mind I am still a newbie - I have no idea what this is all about and you have exponentially more info on the test than I do. I will keep what you say in mind. My thinking comes from the "you can always improve" school of thought and my premed comittee kept beating the take it twice thing into my head. I can only hope to do as well as you did on your first try. Advice coming from someone with such a high score means a lot to me.

Wow, I can't believe your pre-med comm. told you to take it twice? I totally agree with DW, going into the mcat the first time thinking you'll be able to take it again will give you the excuse to not do well.

I took the april 2002 mcat. When I started my studies (10 weeks before), I committed myself to studying for this test and taking it ONLY once. I had plans for the summer for other stuff as well. Why would you want to study for this again when you can be using that time to do something else? Seriously consider this. Do it right the first time. Life is short, use the summer to to do something cool, relax or whatever.

I've been out of school for 3 years with some pre-reqs dating back to '95 and still got a 34. This isn't to toot my own horn but for you to realize that you don't need to go crazy to do well on this test.

-bonnie

I completely agree with DW and missbonnie, and I think you should ignore the "advice" of your premed commitee. Taking the test once and doing well on it (you must have confidence!!) is WAAAAAAY better than taking it twice and doing well the second time. If you think you need the practice, take Kaplan AND do all the AAMC tests-- the April MCAT is not a trial run for the August MCAT. WIth your GPA and ECs, you should have as good a shot as anyone else, and your science background will help you. I guarantee that if you go in to The Big Ugly with the attitude that you're gonna kick a$$, you'll get the best score you can.