The Road to 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roadto28

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time creeper (Creep is the best Radiohead song btw), first time poster here. Just finished my sophomore year at a top 5 US university (via US News Report, Forbes, and various others). I've been home for two weeks now, and I've been absolutely GRINDING. I've already been through Chad's videos twice, Cliffs AP Bio (3rd Edition) twice, and Math Destroyer once. I met with my adviser at the end of the year and he indicated that to have a serious shot at the schools I'm shooting for I'll need at least a 24 AA. That being said, I am shooting for a 28 AA...anything less would honestly be a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Having a strong science background (4.00 sGPA at a top 5 university), I am pretty confident that I'll be able to achieve a 30 TS... 29 worst case scenario. Therefore, my strategy at the moment is to maximize my QR and RC scores, as I feel that these sections are often forgotten about. For example, I just read about a kid who ended up with an awesome 26 AA. However, he had a 30 TS and I can't help but feel that that score was wasted after a poor QR and RC performance. In addition, there was another great 26 TS, that was dropped to a 23 AA after a costly 17 RC. If there is anyone out there who has scored 28+ on QR and RC PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME OR COMMENT. I'm really looking to put up some BIG numbers in those sections come August. I know some of you are probably doubting the legitimacy of this post, and to that I respond: I've been doubted my entire life (i.e. top 5 university). I've already put in a ton of work and I'm hungry to put in even more. As the saying goes, everyone wants to be a beast until it comes time to do what beasts do.

Thanks in advance everyone. I CANNOT WAIT to embark on this journey with you all.

Cheers,
Roadto28

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's great that you have such high goals but your advisor is misinformed. You do not have to score that high to get into top notch schools especially with your 4.00 sGPA. A 21-23 AA (or higher) will suffice. The average DAT for Harvard is only a 23AA. If you still wish to pursue such a high score, more power to you. Just don't get burned out, as an entire summer of your pace of studying can be taxing. I don't doubt that you'd score 23AA+ though given your GPA and commitment.. I would reach out to people like Feralis, Tyjacobs and DMikes as they achieved similar scores and might be able to guide you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda cool how dentistry is attracting some type A folk. In the old days posters like OP would only be in medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all,

Long time creeper (Creep is the best Radiohead song btw), first time poster here. Just finished my sophomore year at a top 5 US university (via US News Report, Forbes, and various others). I've been home for two weeks now, and I've been absolutely GRINDING. I've already been through Chad's videos twice, Cliffs AP Bio (3rd Edition) twice, and Math Destroyer once. I met with my adviser at the end of the year and he indicated that to have a serious shot at the schools I'm shooting for I'll need at least a 24 AA. That being said, I am shooting for a 28 AA...anything less would honestly be a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Having a strong science background (4.00 sGPA at a top 5 university), I am pretty confident that I'll be able to achieve a 30 TS... 29 worst case scenario. Therefore, my strategy at the moment is to maximize my QR and RC scores, as I feel that these sections are often forgotten about. For example, I just read about a kid who ended up with an awesome 26 AA. However, he had a 30 TS and I can't help but feel that that score was wasted after a poor QR and RC performance. In addition, there was another great 26 TS, that was dropped to a 23 AA after a costly 17 RC. If there is anyone out there who has scored 28+ on QR and RC PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME OR COMMENT. I'm really looking to put up some BIG numbers in those sections come August. I know some of you are probably doubting the legitimacy of this post, and to that I respond: I've been doubted my entire life (i.e. top 5 university). I've already put in a ton of work and I'm hungry to put in even more. As the saying goes, everyone wants to be a beast until it comes time to do what beasts do.

Thanks in advance everyone. I CANNOT WAIT to embark on this journey with you all.

Cheers,
Roadto28
Just wanted to clarify--do you attend a top 5 university? Jesus Christ...you must be coked up to the eyeballs right now. Calm down!

Your adviser is misleading you. YOU don't need a a 24+AA to get into the best dental schools. Your UNIVERSITY needs you to get 24+AA to prove the worth of the 4.0 they gave you. In other words, you have to uphold their reputation to get the rec letter. That's the dark side of top-ranked pre-professional programs.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if you're messing with us or not.

Reactions: 4 users
26 is a wasted score guys...riiiiight

i know trying hard is a great thing but don't you think that effort is wasted on the DAT rather than your first psychomotor and/or your first clinical competency? :rolleyes:

haha i'm just being sarcastic and a bit of a hater here. Still, if I were you, i'd put my time into classes/lessons that will give me a good boost into first year (biochem, gross anatomy, endocrinology, physiology, embryology, immunology, general pathology, oral pathology, histology, etc. to name a few).

261c0f4ee7c3cc35fb8629a8b764a6ad.jpg

tumblr_m8thykfj2b1qzqdem.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Now you have to update this after the DAT is done. Will OP deliver?

Reactions: 3 users
get over yourself

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's great that you have such high goals but your advisor is misinformed. You do not have to score that high to get into top notch schools especially with your 4.00 sGPA. A 21-23 AA (or higher) will suffice. The average DAT for Harvard is only a 23AA. If you still wish to pursue such a high score, more power to you. Just don't get burned out, as an entire summer of your pace of studying can be taxing. I don't doubt that you'd score 23AA+ though given your GPA and commitment.. I would reach out to people like Feralis, Tyjacobs and DMikes as they achieved similar scores and might be able to guide you. Good luck!

Whoosh. I'm surprised by how many people think this is real lol

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 4.0 there will be no difference between a 25 and a 28. None.

Just do your best, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
A top 5 university often leads to individuals like the OP, stressed out of his mind and eventually getting burned out before even taking the DAT.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a serious post.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a serious post.
Serious or not idk why it would bother people that much. These people do exist and some become quite successful

I think most of us have a similar attitude, we just don't verbalize it. Kudos to OP

Dude probably goes to Harvard.. shoot low, bud!

I'm sitting here, aiming for a 23 (with the hope to do better) but honestly, I feel like I'll be lucky to make a 20

More power to you op.

With grades like those, I am surprised the OP is shooting for dentistry at all. Not the haven for great scientific minds. Why not Pharma or Livermore? Private industry pays more, better hours, less stress. And let's not forget stock options and residuals.

With grades like those, I am surprised the OP is shooting for dentistry at all. Not the haven for great scientific minds. Why not Pharma or Livermore? Private industry pays more, better hours, less stress. And let's not forget stock options and residuals.

I've never heard of Pharma having better hours and pay, especially not in the private sector - you're looking at 40 hours a week there minimum.

Sounds like you've got quite a big plate to fill. Message me your game plan buddy- I'll take you to the finish line.

I'd say shoot for a 30/31 my man. If you went to a top 3 university you'd be in better shape, but having it be only top 5... you've got some work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I've never heard of Pharma having better hours and pay, especially not in the private sector - you're looking at 40 hours a week there minimum.
You haven't practiced dentistry yet, have you. 40 hours is nothing in the private sector. Not all your time is spent working chairside.