The road to optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Polaris619

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Assuming that everyone here has been accepted into optometry school I would like to ask a simple question.

I have been taking only general requirements for my school since I've been in college one year ago. Now I wish to major in optometry. So far I have a 2.5 gpa based on only general courses all students must take in my college. I have not taken any science courses or any other required courses for optometry school yet. I am planning to start taking required courses next semester. I know my gpa is low and I must pull up my grades from now on. I will most likely finish taking the pre requisites for optometry school in about 4 or maybe less years which gives me time to pull my gpa up to at least a 3.0 but of course I will shoot higher. Therefore, my question is if I still have a shot at getting into optometry school from where I stand till the time I earn my BS degree as long as I pull up my gpa?

Thank you everyone
 
Hello everyone,

Assuming that everyone here has been accepted into optometry school I would like to ask a simple question.

I have been taking only general requirements for my school since I've been in college one year ago. Now I wish to major in optometry. So far I have a 2.5 gpa based on only general courses all students must take in my college. I have not taken any science courses or any other required courses for optometry school yet. I am planning to start taking required courses next semester. I know my gpa is low and I must pull up my grades from now on. I will most likely finish taking the pre requisites for optometry school in about 4 or maybe less years which gives me time to pull my gpa up to at least a 3.0 but of course I will shoot higher. Therefore, my question is if I still have a shot at getting into optometry school from where I stand till the time I earn my BS degree as long as I pull up my gpa?

Thank you everyone

Good luck, its always difficult to "pull up" a GPA. Means you are going to have to get a lot of A-s in what are usually more difficult classes. A 3.0 shouldn't be able to get into Opt school but you'll probably find a taker at one of the private schools. It might take getting into a master's program to get you in if you have trouble with the GPA. It can still be done though. If you wanted to go into a medical career why did you allow your GPA to sink so low?
 
Hello everyone,

Assuming that everyone here has been accepted into optometry school I would like to ask a simple question.

I have been taking only general requirements for my school since I've been in college one year ago. Now I wish to major in optometry. So far I have a 2.5 gpa based on only general courses all students must take in my college. I have not taken any science courses or any other required courses for optometry school yet. I am planning to start taking required courses next semester. I know my gpa is low and I must pull up my grades from now on. I will most likely finish taking the pre requisites for optometry school in about 4 or maybe less years which gives me time to pull my gpa up to at least a 3.0 :meanie: but of course I will shoot higher. Therefore, my question is if I still have a shot at getting into optometry school from where I stand till the time I earn my BS degree as long as I pull up my gpa?

Thank you everyone


dont worry about it bro... i've seen many students with sub-par GPAs get into optometry school... GPAs of 2.4-2.7 have gotten into optometry schools (but you just need to spice up your application with some extracurriculars)

you probably will not have a shot at berkeley or SCCO... so dont try there... go for NEWENCO... you'll get in...
 
Hello everyone,

Assuming that everyone here has been accepted into optometry school I would like to ask a simple question.

I have been taking only general requirements for my school since I've been in college one year ago. Now I wish to major in optometry. So far I have a 2.5 gpa based on only general courses all students must take in my college. I have not taken any science courses or any other required courses for optometry school yet. I am planning to start taking required courses next semester. I know my gpa is low and I must pull up my grades from now on. I will most likely finish taking the pre requisites for optometry school in about 4 or maybe less years which gives me time to pull my gpa up to at least a 3.0 but of course I will shoot higher. Therefore, my question is if I still have a shot at getting into optometry school from where I stand till the time I earn my BS degree as long as I pull up my gpa?

Thank you everyone

First of all, optometry is not an undergraduate major. The thing you need to do is take your pre-reqs, work harder, and get your grades up. Simple as that.