1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

The road to optometry school

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Polaris619, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Polaris619

Pre-Optometry
    Hello everyone,

Assuming that everyone here has been accepted into optometry school I would like to ask a simple question.

I have been taking only general requirements for my school since I've been in college one year ago. Now I wish to major in optometry. So far I have a 2.5 gpa based on only general courses all students must take in my college. I have not taken any science courses or any other required courses for optometry school yet. I am planning to start taking required courses next semester. I know my gpa is low and I must pull up my grades from now on. I will most likely finish taking the pre requisites for optometry school in about 4 or maybe less years which gives me time to pull my gpa up to at least a 3.0 but of course I will shoot higher. Therefore, my question is if I still have a shot at getting into optometry school from where I stand till the time I earn my BS degree as long as I pull up my gpa?

Thank you everyone

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Good luck, its always difficult to "pull up" a GPA. Means you are going to have to get a lot of A-s in what are usually more difficult classes. A 3.0 shouldn't be able to get into Opt school but you'll probably find a taker at one of the private schools. It might take getting into a master's program to get you in if you have trouble with the GPA. It can still be done though. If you wanted to go into a medical career why did you allow your GPA to sink so low?

4. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist

dont worry about it bro... i've seen many students with sub-par GPAs get into optometry school... GPAs of 2.4-2.7 have gotten into optometry schools (but you just need to spice up your application with some extracurriculars)

you probably will not have a shot at berkeley or SCCO... so dont try there... go for NEWENCO... you'll get in...

5. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    First of all, optometry is not an undergraduate major. The thing you need to do is take your pre-reqs, work harder, and get your grades up. Simple as that.