The “science” of chiropractic

Started by bedrock
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I have always admired how chiropractic is like Freudian Psychoanalysis.

In Freudian psychoanalysis, resistance is defined as the unconscious opposition to the unveiling of repressed, painful memories and the therapeutic process itself. Rather than a simple failure of willpower, Freud viewed it as the ego’s protective mechanism against anxiety. Treatment failure often occurs when these resistances are not successfully analyzed and resolved, or when the therapeutic alliance is overwhelmed by negative transference or external circumstances.

In chiropractic the patient resisted, tensed up during manipulation, etc.

Failure can be blamed on the patient, not the practice/practitioner. This is a brilliant strategy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They also seem to get patients to pay for private pay services without much thought.

Chiro up the street charges $3000 for shockwave 5 treatments and seems to do fine with patients paying (based on some that I talk to). I actually charge $75 first first and $150 each after and I get more reluctance even on patients who saw chiros previously and had success.

They definitely have some magic there.
 
They also seem to get patients to pay for private pay services without much thought.

Chiro up the street charges $3000 for shockwave 5 treatments and seems to do fine with patients paying (based on some that I talk to). I actually charge $75 first first and $150 each after and I get more reluctance even on patients who saw chiros previously and had success.

They definitely have some magic there.
It’s just a culture. People expect to pay out of pocket/
Same with dentist- they sell cash based incentives and people expect it


People don’t expect doctors to “sell” cash based treatments unless it’s cosmetic
 
It’s just a culture. People expect to pay out of pocket/
Same with dentist- they sell cash based incentives and people expect it


People don’t expect doctors to “sell” cash based treatments unless it’s cosmetic
I know you are right. I just found it interesting that a patient paid a chiropractor $3000 for 6 shockwaves and my charge for the same was about 35% of that and she hesitated. She ended up paying but seemed uncertain even though the treatment from the chiro gave her 100% relief for 9-12 months for her plantar fasciitis

Just seemed odd to me but probably what you said. People do seem to pay for direct primary care though. There are at least 15 in my town of about 100-110K and seems like more are popping up.
 
I know you are right. I just found it interesting that a patient paid a chiropractor $3000 for 6 shockwaves and my charge for the same was about 35% of that and she hesitated. She ended up paying but seemed uncertain even though the treatment from the chiro gave her 100% relief for 9-12 months for her plantar fasciitis

Just seemed odd to me but probably what you said. People do seem to pay for direct primary care though. There are at least 15 in my town of about 100-110K and seems like more are popping up.
They charge 200$/half hour visit?
Insurances can’t squeeze them anymore. They’re already getting screwed
 
asking about DPC docs?

They charge a subscription fee. Usually $1500-$2000 per year. They have very few staff. No insurance stuff. So they figure out how much they want to make and adjust the patient panel to reflect that.
 
since the above article.

 
since the above article.

The first post.
Also the author of the update.
Thank you for sharing.
 
They also seem to get patients to pay for private pay services without much thought.

Chiro up the street charges $3000 for shockwave 5 treatments and seems to do fine with patients paying (based on some that I talk to). I actually charge $75 first first and $150 each after and I get more reluctance even on patients who saw chiros previously and had success.

They definitely have some magic there.
My patient told me they were sold a package of Decompression/Softwave/adjustment for 24 sessions, for $6,000.

I was like....that's actually a really good price for all that if you get 24 sessions!
 
since the above article.

Interesting articles. If nothing else the guy has a really interesting life.
 
Chiros love telling people that one leg is shorter than the other and people eat it up.

Patient with severe stenosis and claudicating symptoms - “well the chiropractor said it’s because my left leg is 1/2 shorter than my right”
And treat it with a life long 2 x week cash only maintenance package.

Side note i find if a patient fixates on irrelevant anatomical differences, or the “my body is special” sign it’s usually a very poor prognostic indicator. Often the sign can be precipitated by a visit to the friendly neighborhood chiropractor. Often have an attitude that standard of care doesn’t apply because “my pelvis is twisted” “my leg is shorter” “my L6 vertebrae”
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chiros love telling people that one leg is shorter than the other and people eat it up.

Patient with severe stenosis and claudicating symptoms - “well the chiropractor said it’s because my left leg is 1/2 shorter than my right”
And thus I need to adjust you three times a week for eternity because that leg is not going to grow.. reminds me of the Seinfeld where his wallet was too fat
 
They also seem to get patients to pay for private pay services without much thought.

Chiro up the street charges $3000 for shockwave 5 treatments and seems to do fine with patients paying (based on some that I talk to). I actually charge $75 first first and $150 each after and I get more reluctance even on patients who saw chiros previously and had success.

They definitely have some magic there.
Perhaps you should be charging more.