The Selection Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulonco21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how the selection process really works.

I know the med schools say they look at everything holistically but we all know the initial screening is excel based with numbers and everything else.

Does anyone know how this screening works I keep getting answers like the gpa is what is used, the mcat is what decides it, etc

Can someone just clarify this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't.

Don't do this to yourself.

Source: applicant to previous cycle

Don't.

Don't do this to yourself.

Source: applicant to previous cycle
I just want to know if im wasting my time applying with a 2.8 sGPA or not I mean everything else on my app is perfect its just I did bad in like 3 science classes (2 were O chem)

Members don't see this ad :)
2.8 is way too low. You need to work on getting that GPA up to ~3.5. Maybe retake ochem if possible.

I just want to know if im wasting my time applying with a 2.8 sGPA or not I mean everything else on my app is perfect its just I did bad in like 3 science classes (2 were O chem)

what is your mcat score? if you got a 35-40 something might happen. I think 3.0 is the min for a lot of schools though (correct me if im wrong). If you get killed the mcat with a high score do some postbachelor's.

They do view applications holistically - but holistically means the whole package.

A sub 3.0 cGPA will auto-screen you from a number of schools. Ideally, raise it to 3.5+. I have seen people with obscenely high MCATs get in with sub-3.0s, but they generally have perfect GPAs in post-grad.

A sub 3.0 with an average application and an average MCAT? I mean, stranger things have happened - I wouldn't rely on it.

Reactions: 1 user
While certainly not impossible, it'd be an uphill battle for you. You'd probably get screened out at most schools because of your GPA.

About prescreening which I find interesting: I noticed a lot of schools don't prescreen and just send everyone secondaries. If a person like the OP gets a secondary application is there any guarantee medical schools will go through his entire application or is this potentially giving him false hope since it's still possible for them to just see the gpa and chuck it?

About prescreening which I find interesting: I noticed a lot of schools don't prescreen and just send everyone secondaries. If a person like the OP gets a secondary application is there any guarantee medical schools will go through his entire application or is this potentially giving him false hope since it's still possible for them to just see the gpa and chuck it?

A lot of schools send secondaries to everybody, regardless of whether or not they have a realistic shot.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of schools send secondaries to everybody, regardless of whether or not they have a realistic shot.
There is an expectation that the applicant will exercise sufficient judgement to choose schools thoughtfully.

There is an expectation that the applicant will exercise sufficient judgement to choose schools thoughtfully.

And if the applicants don't exercise sufficient judgment, I don't think the medical schools are going to turn down thousands of $100 donations.

And if the applicants don't exercise sufficient judgment, I don't think the medical schools are going to turn down thousands of $100 donations.
I find misplaced hope painful and sad.
If there were a limit on the number of applications any single applicant could make, I think abolishing fees would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a free $100+ for them, and completely your fault for not actually reading about their school's requirements. If don't even bother to read that they have a 3.0gpa cutoff, why in the world should they believe that you are so interested in going to their school and that you have been committed to the idea of getting your training there for years like you surely wrote in their secondary essays, when you didn't even read the basics about applying to their school?

I find misplaced hope painful and sad.
If there was a limit on the number of applications any single applicant could make, I think abolishing fees would be great.

Unfortunately, the process is about as dated as it gets for online applications. It's a bit absurd simply applying can put someone in thousands of unpayable debt... It also doesn't look like it's getting a revamp anytime soon - too focused on fixing non-broken things like the MCAT.

It's a free $100+ for them, and completely your fault for not actually reading about their school's requirements. If don't even bother to read that they have a 3.0gpa cutoff, why in the world should they believe that you are so interested in going to their school and that you have been committed to the idea of getting your training there for years like you surely wrote in their secondary essays, when you didn't even read the basics about applying to their school?

To be fair, I don't think I ever encountered a "GPA Cutoff" on any school's website. I saw recommendations and class averages, but that's about it. I think you are being a bit harsh in that regard.

But yes, they'll pocket your money, and they have a right to do so.

2.8 is not competitive for either MD or DO schools. So yes, you're waittng your time. Retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools, or do a post-bac/SMP and ace MCAT for Md schools.

I beleive U UT states their MCAT minimums, for one.

To be fair, I don't think I ever encountered a "GPA Cutoff" on any school's website. I saw recommendations and class averages, but that's about it. I think you are being a bit harsh in that regard.

I beleive U UT states their MCAT minimums, for one.

Yep, I know they do exist, I was just stating that I simply never encountered them as an anecdote. For example, I never looked into going to UoU, so that'd made sense.

Yep, I know they do exist, I was just stating that I simply never encountered them as an anecdote. For example, I never looked into going to UoU, so that'd made sense.
Even if it isn't really easily found on their website, it can be easily found out through a phone call or email. Schools know that not everyone is going to be smart about it and read their requirements or really do their homework to see if their a good fit/match, but that's not their job nor their problem. It is the applicants responsibility to do a good job researching the schools they want to apply to, it's their money and application after all.

They do view applications holistically - but holistically means the whole package.

A sub 3.0 cGPA will auto-screen you from a number of schools. Ideally, raise it to 3.5+. I have seen people with obscenely high MCATs get in with sub-3.0s, but they generally have perfect GPAs in post-grad.

A sub 3.0 with an average application and an average MCAT? I mean, stranger things have happened - I wouldn't rely on it.

Interesting that you said they view holistically but they also auto-screen. Does that mean they'll read your entire application but on the basis of a low GPA they'll reject you? What if you have some awesome ECs and rec letters?

Interesting that you said they view holistically but they also auto-screen. Does that mean they'll read your entire application but on the basis of a low GPA they'll reject you? What if you have some awesome ECs and rec letters?
There are some gpa's and MCAT scores that are so inconsistent with success (at a particular school) that an interview would be a disservice (even if they are Mother Teresa incarnate). If another school has a history of success with these scores it is far better that the candidate go there and have a real chance at their degree. The expense alone of a failed attempt in medical school is heartbreaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may look like an awesome person with what you do outside the classroom, but medical school is still at least half SCHOOL, if it doesn't look like you can succeed academically or pass a standardized test (USMLE's), why would they want to take a risk on you when there are plenty of other applicants who probably have done also great things outside the classroom, but also shown that they are a good student and will likely succeed academically in med school. Every school only has what, maybe 100-200 seats max each year, yet they have many thousands of applicants, why take the risk on someone who may fail when you can have someone with a better track record of success?

Even if it isn't really easily found on their website, it can be easily found out through a phone call or email. Schools know that not everyone is going to be smart about it and read their requirements or really do their homework to see if their a good fit/match, but that's not their job nor their problem. It is the applicants responsibility to do a good job researching the schools they want to apply to, it's their money and application after all.

Uh, none of the schools I applied to had a "minimum GPA requirement" unless you consider their 10th percentile of GPAs that. Schools in my experience don't advertise that, even some that preliminarily screen applications. Same goes for the MCAT scores. There's no minimum, but you're going to have to have some serious explaining to do if you're below their 10th percentiles.

I don't understand why "holistic" to some people means it's okay to fall below average in one area as long as you excel in another.

I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Holistic really means that you're a well rounded applicant. If you truly fall short in one area you're going to have to make up for it ten times over in another. Such is the life of competitive application seasons.

Uh, none of the schools I applied to had a "minimum GPA requirement" unless you consider their 10th percentile of GPAs that. Schools in my experience don't advertise that, even some that preliminarily screen applications. Same goes for the MCAT scores. There's no minimum, but you're going to have to have some serious explaining to do if you're below their 10th percentiles.

I don't understand why "holistic" to some people means it's okay to fall below average in one area as long as you excel in another.

I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Holistic really means that you're a well rounded applicant. If you truly fall short in one area you're going to have to make up for it ten times over in another. Such is the life of competitive application seasons.

Because everyone thinks that X experience is really unique and awesome and really gunna show them that they want to be a doctor! And, of course, make up for what are often huge shortcomings with respect to their app. In reality none of that is true, and even the most "unique" experiences aren't all that uncommon. The particular example might be but the type of experience usually is not.

Unfortunately premeds as a general rule don't have the experience necessary to realize this and continue to insist that their "special situation" will turn the tide in their favor. There's probably 1 case of that actually being true for every 100 that think they fall in that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk