The (Somewhat) Official Getting In Nowhere Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noMDPHDsucks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will this thread here too........

No loving from ADCOM
noMDPHDsucks

Members don't see this ad.

One of my good friends applied last year and didn't get in to any MD-PhD programs until July! You need to try to stay positive and keeping moving forward -- at worst you have to wait until July and start the process again. You at least had a number of interviews this time around; try to find out which aspects of your credentials you need to work on the most, and then just make yourself do it! If you turly feel that this is your calling, you will make it eventually. I'm not saying it's easy, but it isn't impossible. If anything you will have the advantage of knowing exactly what's going on in the next round. Try to stay positive.

One of my good friends applied last year and didn't get in to any MD-PhD programs until July! You need to try to stay positive and keeping moving forward -- at worst you have to wait until July and start the process again. You at least had a number of interviews this time around; try to find out which aspects of your credentials you need to work on the most, and then just make yourself do it! If you turly feel that this is your calling, you will make it eventually. I'm not saying it's easy, but it isn't impossible. If anything you will have the advantage of knowing exactly what's going on in the next round. Try to stay positive.

I second what ThatOne says. I am in the same situation as you, and have not been accepted anywhere yet. As a matter of a fact, I am on 5 waitlists. I heard of people getting in off waitlists as early as may, and later, but this doesn't excite me. I am probably just as devastated as you are, but i have recently taken a more positive proactive approach to this situation that might lend you some ideas. Here are my thoughts: firstly, you might get in MD somewhere--that's fine, since you can always do a PhD almost anywhere. It's the MD that's tough to get. So, I am writing letters of interest, which might help my chances somewhere...secondly, you should consider other options outside medicine. For instance, we both have science backgrounds, so you can always use that background toward something like patent law, and go to law school. Finally, like ThatOne said, you can always reapply. Since, you know what to do , reapplying is a piece of cake.

However, you should try to think about this last point. It actually took me awhile to internalize this. Medicine and science are not the be all and end all of things, especially career wise. There are other things out there, try to broaden your mind. Think of no acceptances as just a bump in the road, and that whatever happens is for the best.

Finally, there is more **** and politics in medicine and science today than there ever was before.(and that includes insurance and all other distractions which will take up most of your time as a physician scientist). It might not be so bad to stay away from these fields if events turn in such a way for you. Remember, there are plenty of lucrative professions out there with half of the stress that comes with being a physician scientist. Otherwise, if you really feel this is the only route for you, keep trying. Slow and steady wins the race.

good luck to us:thumbup:

I hope u feel positive about ur achievement, bcoz getting this far (with interview invites) means that u have done really well already. Don't give up, some schools are still interviewing!;)