corpuscle

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Anybody here even considering the south? UVA, MCV, MUSC, Emory, UAB, UT-Memphis, UT-Knoxville, Vanderbilt, LSU, Tulane, Florida, Duke, UNC. Any thoughts? I'm trying to make my rank list and would like to hear what others are thinking. I also interviewed in the northeast and on the west coast but those seem to have been pretty well discussed on this forum... (note: ya'll is better than "you guys" when you really think about it. It's easier to say and write and is gender nonspecific. Plus a precedent has already been set with the use of contractions.)

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
corpuscle said:
Anybody here even considering the south? UVA, MCV, MUSC, Emory, UAB, UT-Memphis, UT-Knoxville, Vanderbilt, LSU, Tulane, Florida, Duke, UNC. Any thoughts? I'm trying to make my rank list and would like to hear what others are thinking. I also interviewed in the northeast and on the west coast but those seem to have been pretty well discussed on this forum... (note: ya'll is better than "you guys" when you really think about it. It's easier to say and write and is gender nonspecific. Plus a precedent has already been set with the use of contractions.)
I used to daydream I was a resident in Miami, wearing the Miami-Dade county ME jacket with super hot babes pawing at me....Seemed so real. I think I missed out on the chance of a lifetime there.

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
Was the jacket fuschia colored? If I lived in Miami and was an ME the Miami Vice theme song would run through my head constantly.

As if it doesn't now. :oops:

The only southern program I considered was UVA, and briefly thought about Emory but didn't apply. Most of the ones you listed are good and will provide excellent training and fellowship opportunities.

About the Ads

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2002
slashdot.org
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I interviewed at UAB for the MD/PhD program and I noticed an unusually high amount of the pathologists there trained at Wash U. I imagine the training you receive there would be pretty good.

-X

corpuscle said:

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
corpuscle said:
I interviewed at some of those programs.

MCV (home for me) - solid, friendly, kinda small. Richmond isn't so much a city as it is a giant civil war museum.
UNC - also kinda small, but incredibly friendly. Tons of money (top 5) for research, but they say they won't cram it down your throat.
Emory - movin' on up! I loved it there, the biggest drawback was traffic.
Vanderbilt - also a hiatus for Wash U faculty. Reminded me of Emory but in a non-Atlanta setting.

I ranked them all very highly. You really can't go wrong with any of these.

PFCortex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
here
Visit site
Status
Havarti666 said:
I interviewed at some of those programs.

MCV (home for me) - solid, friendly, kinda small. Richmond isn't so much a city as it is a giant civil war museum.
UNC - also kinda small, but incredibly friendly. Tons of money (top 5) for research, but they say they won't cram it down your throat.
Emory - movin' on up! I loved it there, the biggest drawback was traffic.
Vanderbilt - also a hiatus for Wash U faculty. Reminded me of Emory but in a non-Atlanta setting.

I ranked them all very highly. You really can't go wrong with any of these.
why no UVA if home is MCV??

QuietSylph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
Interviewed at MUSC and loved it. :thumbup:

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
MCV :thumbup:
UNC :thumbup:
Duke :thumbup:

So much just depends on where you'd be happiest geographically speaking, what kinda vibe you got at different places, how you felt you fit in, whether you're interested in private practice or academics, etc.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
PFCortex said:
why no UVA if home is MCV??
I'm in the mindset of wanting to strike out again and at least get out of Virginia. I wouldn't have even considered staying at MCV, but I just like the people here so damn much.

About the Ads

goheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
Who IS this guy? :laugh:

Let's go Duke! Let's go Duke! Let's go Duke!
Dook sucks. :) Go Heels :D JJ Reddick is the most overrated player in the nation.

goheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Status
xanthines said:
I interviewed at UAB for the MD/PhD program and I noticed an unusually high amount of the pathologists there trained at Wash U. I imagine the training you receive there would be pretty good.

-X
My aunt did her training as a pathologist at UAB. From what she told me, UAB is a top-class place for pathology.

pathdawg

15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
Visit site
Status
LADoc00 said:
I used to daydream I was a resident in Miami, wearing the Miami-Dade county ME jacket with super hot babes pawing at me....Seemed so real. I think I missed out on the chance of a lifetime there.

Yup, you know all those hot vapid Miami model-types always go for pathologists. If I had a dime for every super-model hooking up with a pathologist...

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2002
slashdot.org
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I know a an excellent heme-pathologist that did his training there. He loved it.

-X

goheel said:
My aunt did her training as a pathologist at UAB. From what she told me, UAB is a top-class place for pathology.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
xanthines said:
Yeah, I know a an excellent heme-pathologist that did his training there. He loved it.

-X

I interviewed at UAB and, man, that place is awesome. It would be higher on my list if it weren't in Alabama.

About the Ads