The state of Maine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m more than 1 year from graduation. I know from reading the forum that the job market is in shambles (*fear*), but generally I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/knowledge on the state of rad onc in Maine. If I had to guess I would imagine major universities are expanding up that way leading to a lot of “academic satellite” jobs, but I don’t know that for sure.
Anyone live there or nearby and know what the rad onc landscape looks like?
(Ps this account gets passed around among friends and family)

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a few jobs posted in Maine over the years, i imagine not the most competitive place to get a job but with the smaller population, probably only a small fixed number of docs needed. Portland is where the biggest center is i think

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,
I’m more than 1 year from graduation. I know from reading the forum that the job market is in shambles (*fear*), but generally I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/knowledge on the state of rad onc in Maine. If I had to guess I would imagine major universities are expanding up that way leading to a lot of “academic satellite” jobs, but I don’t know that for sure.
Anyone live there or nearby and know what the rad onc landscape looks like?
(Ps this account gets passed around among friends and family)

Send me a PM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing about Maine, FWIW.

However, similar smaller, more isolated, and less populated areas can be difficult to assess. While they may be "less desirable" to the majority, they attract a select few people who either strongly want to be there long term or have ties to the area. Naturally they need less doctors to cover the population. Places like that can have little to no turnover for years to decades even if "less desirable" and timing is everything.

Remember that even if only one person wants the job you want, but they get hired the year before you finish, that job may now be unavailable for the majority of your career. Probably even moreso going forward with less or more difficult lateral movement between jobs.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard of someone trying to get back to like wyoming/idaho area and will be waiting years for something to open up. Many places are completely saturated even if you think they are “undesirable”. This is the case is South, New england, mountain west, etc as well.

Last edited:
I know one person practicing in Maine but I'm not informed about the job market there.

If you know that is where you want to end up after graduation, I would recommend reaching out to all of the practices there to introduce yourself. They may not be able to tell you if they are hiring >1 year from now, but they may keep your CV on file. That is how I was able to secure a position in my desired geographic locale 4 years ago. They weren't hiring when I first reached out, but when a position opened up they reached back out to me.

Reactions: 2 users