The sting of rejection...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I know this doesn't deserve a thread all its own, but I'm really disappointed...I was going to call UCSF today to ask where I was in the admissions process (I hadn't gotten an interview offer yet)...but before I could even call them, I got a rejection letter...:(

I know that I am really lucky to have two med school acceptances already...and an offer to interview for a scholarship...but from the first days I started looking into med schools, UCSF quickly became my "dream" school...the program, the city, the weather (I know that sounds superficial, but I get pretty depressed and achy--more so than usual, lol-- from the cold)...

I guess I'm putting too much stock in a school I haven't even visited (I've never even been to California, much less SF!)...but I just felt like I would be really well suited to California and the school. I am itching to get out of Georgia and into a more liberal environment...and having the temperate weather and the bay nearby doesn't hurt either. Plus their block system curriculum sounded perfect to me.

I even had the chance to apply to another school in CA... Keck/USC...but I didn't fill out the secondary because I couldn't figure out how to answer the essay questions! Plus I thought I probably wouldn't like living in LA...and since I had already applied to one school in CA, I just put the Keck application aside...and now I'm regretting it!

Oh well, I guess I can hope that things always work out for some reason...I am generally very happy with the acceptances I've gotten...I guess that first rejection letter just hurts, regardless of where it's from...but especially if it's from your dream school. :(

Well, there's always residency, too...maybe I will get my time in the sun :cool: ...it just seems like a long way off...

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody likes rejection and you are very valid in feeling dejected. You never even went ot UCSF so the loss is all in your head. You will never get into your dream school b/c it is what you imagine, not what exists. I admit that some schools are easier than others in understanding the positives that they offer....

Regardless, you are in a fantastic position to become a physician. I mean... would you really want to live in a state with the ridiculous governator anyway?

Revel in what you have....

I'm kidding Calie schools, please accept me!

I hear that.

I may be adding to this thread substantially in about two weeks.

But who knows? Maybe this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise? Only time can tell, but then again, thats only a saying. Good luck with the rest of the Admissions process L, maybe I'll be seeing you around next year :)

Coops

Members don't see this ad :)
PS.

Ahnold rocks. There is one GOP man who would swing this Democrat. :)

:p

Sorry, karen, that's tough....but you will quickly get over it. You will be a doctor, and that's pretty cool! With only 16,000 new allopathics in training per year, you will soon be part of a very select group of people.

you are one of the rare applicants that have been able to recieve opportunities to interview and gain acceptances at prestigious universities. just keep that in mind and in the end, the sting of the rejection will go away.

and its not like ucsf is a gimme or anything like that. being out of state prolly didnt help you much either. but dont worry about it. you will go to a great school and you will be fine. ;)

Yeah, getting an interview to UCSF as an out-of-state applicant is probably tougher than any other school in the country. They've rejected a long list of sdn all-stars. So this is one rejection that shouldn't get you down as much as others.

Besides, enjoy what you've got! 50+% of applicants won't even get in this year. :(

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
PS.

Ahnold rocks. There is one GOP man who would swing this Democrat. :)

:p

Yeah, since he has done absolutely nothing good for california while in office :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gleevec
Yeah, since he has done absolutely nothing good for california while in office :rolleyes:
Actually, I'm not sure about that. Two new polls came out showing his approval rating increasing to about 56% in CA from 52% in January.

Also, polls suggest that his proposition 57 which is the economic recovery bond act is at 50% yes and 36% no. His propostion 58 which is the california budget act is at 55% yes and 28% no. This is partly due to many democrats supporting the bills including senator fienstein who is a democrat.

He repealed the car tax, repealed the act that gave illegal aliens licenses, and has done well in unifying congressman democrats and republicans in the state assembly. I do believe he has done the best job he could in the 100 days he has been in office.

Originally posted by karen44
OK, so I know this doesn't deserve a thread all its own, but I'm really disappointed...I was going to call UCSF today to ask where I was in the admissions process (I hadn't gotten an interview offer yet)...but before I could even call them, I got a rejection letter...:(

I know that I am really lucky to have two med school acceptances already...and an offer to interview for a scholarship...but from the first days I started looking into med schools, UCSF quickly became my "dream" school...the program, the city, the weather (I know that sounds superficial, but I get pretty depressed and achy--more so than usual, lol-- from the cold)...

I guess I'm putting too much stock in a school I haven't even visited (I've never even been to California, much less SF!)...but I just felt like I would be really well suited to California and the school. I am itching to get out of Georgia and into a more liberal environment...and having the temperate weather and the bay nearby doesn't hurt either. Plus their block system curriculum sounded perfect to me.

I even had the chance to apply to another school in CA... Keck/USC...but I didn't fill out the secondary because I couldn't figure out how to answer the essay questions! Plus I thought I probably wouldn't like living in LA...and since I had already applied to one school in CA, I just put the Keck application aside...and now I'm regretting it!

Oh well, I guess I can hope that things always work out for some reason...I am generally very happy with the acceptances I've gotten...I guess that first rejection letter just hurts, regardless of where it's from...but especially if it's from your dream school. :(

Well, there's always residency, too...maybe I will get my time in the sun :cool: ...it just seems like a long way off...

Hey there Karen44,

Don't worry too much, sweety. You have some awesome acceptances and wash u. w/ a scholarship :) But I will soon be joining this thread in the upcoming weeks....I have a strong suspicion. But you should definitely cheer up :)

-Harps

Originally posted by Slickness

He repealed the car tax, repealed the act that gave illegal aliens licenses, and has done well in unifying congressman democrats and republicans in the state assembly. I do believe he has done the best job he could in the 100 days he has been in office.

Repealing the car tax while in a major fiscal crisis = good?
Raising tuition for california schools = good?
Repealing act that gave illegal aliens (that now have amnesty under Bush, so it will be interesting to see the court cases resolving this) licenses = good?

Riiiiiiiiiigghht :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gleevec
Repealing the car tax while in a major fiscal crisis = good?
Raising tuition for california schools = good?
Repealing act that gave illegal aliens (that now have amnesty under Bush, so it will be interesting to see the court cases resolving this) licenses = good?

Riiiiiiiiiigghht :rolleyes:
Well for the car tax and illegal aliens, the majority of the CA public agreed with what Arnold did. So yes I would say it was good.

The only bad thing is the increase in CA tuition. Gleevec, this issue is not about Republicans or Democrats. It is not as clear cut as that. Arnold is definitely in the middle on most of the issues which is why he appeals to both Republicans and Democrats.

Car Tax unfairly targeted low income families. Good that Arnold got rid of it...

Think about it- blanket registration fee increases barely bother the wealthy, while really hurt those with no money.

It is like raising the price of a loaf of bread or a pint of milk uniformly.

There are better ways to tax the people

Originally posted by BaseballFan
Car Tax unfairly targeted low income families. Good that Arnold got rid of it...

Think about it- blanket registration fee increases barely bother the wealthy, while really hurt those with no money.

It is like raising the price of a loaf of bread or a pint of milk uniformly.

There are better ways to tax the people
Exactly, that's why it's good that it's gone.

karen, ucsf really is the toughest cali school to get into. just think of it this way... they don't know what they're missing!
i'm sure you'll excel wherever you go, and you can go to ucsf for residency instead :)

not to completely hijack your thread, but i had to respond to slickness and baseball fan:

however, arnold has NOT proposed any other ways to tax the people. he is very firmly anti-tax. instead he wants us to borrow $15 billion to cover our a** when payment on loans is due in june and to cover the budget for next year.

i agree w/ gleevec for the most part.

i'm still shocked by californians' support of arnold. and i find it particularly ironic that he's spending $1.5 million a week in tv ads to garner support for his economic 'recovery' plan. :eek:

I agree that Arnold should propose some better ideas.

But I don't think that there is much worse than a blanket tax like the car tax... even proposing the bond, while not very good either, is relatively better than the car tax. California is in terrible financial shape, and I think no matter what happens, you have to look at things as the "lesser of two evils"

I wonder about the increases in tuition at the UCs. Do you think that Cali residents are getting an incredible bargain with last year's prices? While the fee increases will force people to take more loans, if the students are getting well-trained (obviously the schools are good!) and will be able to pay the loans back eventually, is this a better way to help to cover the budget gap now?

On another note, why is the men's basketball coach at UCLA the highest paid state employee in California?!? The whole system is messed up!

karen, take it straight to the trash like i did with my ucla rejection and move on! obviously they are making a mistake but there's nothing you can do now but make the most of what you did get which is pretty amazing as it is.

Thats my attitude too, maybe residency! I can totally commisserate with you, although my goals weren't nearly as lofty. At least you had a legitimate chance. But I hear ya, nothing really completely takes the sting of rejection away no matter what school it is or now many you've gotten in already. :mad:

yeah Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your bad news.......feel not alone my friend, for I will probably be joining this thread too with a tale of UCSF rejection. They've been dangling me above the lake of acid by dental floss (ie pre-interview hold) since November, and I have a feeling that the string won't be strong enough for me to climb up it towards an interview........OH WELL. Chin up dogg:horns:

If it makes you feel any better, UCSF is in the Sunset, which is almost always cold and in the clouds/fog....

Hang in there!

karen, no worries. sf is not as good as what you've imagined. nice weather, awesome food choices, great lifestyle, close to tahoe.... damn, now i want to go back to sf :D

sorry to hear that you got a bad news in the mail. look at it this way: if you go to ucsf, you will be in school and you won't be able to enjoy the city that much. once you are in the residency, you will be getting enough cash to do all kinds of cool stuff that's available in sf.

btw, gordon biersch rocks!!