the term "shrink"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrat

licensed psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was with a colleague and she referred to herself as a shrink. What do you think of that term? Derogatory? Endearing? I was taken aback so am curious what others think.

Members don't see this ad.

I was with a colleague and she referred to herself as a shrink. What do you think of that term? Derogatory? Endearing? I was taken aback so am curious what others think.

I only answer to 'Witch Doctor' or, alternatively, on May 5th of every year to 'El Conquistador.'

Reactions: 3 users
99% of the time, I think that people do not know the difference between a psychiatrist, psychologist, nurse practitioner, counselor, social worker,etc so they use an antiquated catch all term.

1% of the time I think they are a classics movie fan who has actually seen farrow and huston films, a phynchon fan, scared of mental healthcare, or too afraid to actually call me a jerk.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fine with the term and long as they are cool with the risk that I am lopping off their head and shrinking it. I keep the machete in my briefcase.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm fine with the term and long as they are cool with the risk that I am lopping off their head and shrinking it. I keep the machete in my briefcase.

I love this post.

If its in jest at cocktail party, its fine. It not like my wife gets mad at the program "Teachers" when they satire the teaching profession.

However, to hold that as a real value or belief is something else entirely... and probably contributes to stigma and misconceptions about the field and its basis in actual behavioral/psychological science.

Last edited:
Some of my patients use that word, although it may be in a joking manner. I would never use it, myself.

I only get offended because I think that the term shrink usually refers to psychiatrists and I sure as heck don't want to be mistaken for one of them.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I only get offended because I think that the term shrink usually refers to psychiatrists and I sure as heck don['t want to be mistaken for one of them.
;)

I rarely hear this term, but when I do, it's generally in reference to psychiatrists as well.

Yeah, maybe it's a situation where you can call yourself a shrink, but maybe don't call someone else one unless you're sure they won't be offended.