The Trauma Model by C Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody read this book? Any good?

Though Ross has a few papers on trauma that are highly cited, the book itself is not. I won't bother with it if Colin is one of those radical researchers/writers who sees every disorder as stemming from a particular cause, in this case childhood trauma, and dismisses other views by simply not mentioning relevant research or by distorting their findings.

I was recently reading a paper about trauma as the main cause for schizophrenia, and it was as black-and-white as you could imagine.

I got interested in Colin's book after in a mindless internet search, I came across a blog that mentioned some of his views on locus on control, attachment and identification with abuser, and dissociation.

Would appreciate to hear from someone who is more familiar with his work.

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently reading a paper about trauma as the main cause for schizophrenia, and it was as black-and-white as you could imagine.

Wouldn't be surprised if that paper were by Colin Ross, too. He's written a book about that as well.

I used to be quite the fan of Dr. Ross. These days, I am not quite as sure. I think he makes some really good points on the treatment of trauma and I agree with the emphasis he places on maintaining appropriate therapeutic boundaries. I am unconvinced that trauma/dissociation is as prevalent an underlying cause for pretty every DSM diagnosis, as he seems to think it is and I'm not entirely sure that "talking to the voices" is a good idea. I wonder if treating ego-states like real people isn't ultimately more fragmenting as opposed to healing.

Wouldn't be surprised if that paper were by Colin Ross, too. He's written a book about that as well.

I used to be quite the fan of Dr. Ross. These days, I am not quite as sure. I think he makes some really good points on the treatment of trauma and I agree with the emphasis he places on maintaining appropriate therapeutic boundaries. I am unconvinced that trauma/dissociation is as prevalent an underlying cause for pretty every DSM diagnosis, as he seems to think it is and I'm not entirely sure that "talking to the voices" is a good idea. I wonder if treating ego-states like real people isn't ultimately more fragmenting as opposed to healing.

Talking to the voices? You mean for a DID patient or a schizophrenia patient who is hallucinating?

Talking to the voices? You mean for a DID patient or a schizophrenia patient who is hallucinating?

Well, if you ask Dr. Ross, a lot of the schizophrenics who are hallucinating are more properly DID or the dissociative subtype of schizophrenia, which he is proposing. And he does advocate "talking to the voices" in these folks.