The ultimate irrelevant med school test question.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd seen it all in my 2 years of medical school, tons of questions that tested irrelevant minutia that only required rote memorization and regurgitation, but then today on a behavioral science exam I saw what I think will go down in history as the ultimate irrelevant med school test question......

Of the top 300 words used in the English language what percentage of them are of 2 or more syllables?

This came from a lecture on how to talk to the media about health issues. Overall there was solid information in this lecture, but the test question came from a few slides whose only purpose was to demonstate that the most commonly used words are simple words, and as doctors we should avoid jargon when talking to the media. Do they test us over any of the relevant information from the lecture? No, we get tested over a piece of irrelevant minutae that doesn't even have to do with science or medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I meant for this to be in the allopathic forum and didn't realize which I was in when I posted it.

:rolleyes: 98% of the crap we "learn" (binge and purge) in medschool is totally irrelevant. Teaching a bunch dorkwad nerdlets not to be such pukey little fuktards is probably among the least irrelevant things that a medschool might be doing for you. Relax. If you're not satisfied with the amount of hardcore science factoids that you're fed on in medschool then there's something wrong with you. ;)