The use of NQDC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EsTxDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm fresh out of residency and working my first job. Recently offered a deferred compensation plan. Looking for thoughts on their use. Anyone here contribute or make use of one? Would you if available? Any thoughts on risks vs benefit for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Like a 457? It really depends on the details and your own situation. If you work for a government or part of your income is from a university the 457b is a nice place to put your money if you have too much to know what to do with it. It has similar investment options as the 403b at my employer. There's no match in mine (it is on my 403b) but there might be for yours and the same $18,500 limit applies to the 457 (though this is separate from that of your 401k or 403b and any match is not included in the maximum contribution. If you are a highly compensated employee but don't work in government (a 457f plan) the benefit is only available to you if you work for a nonprofit (same problem for 403b/401k plans though those benefits could be limited for how much you may contribute if lesser compensated employees aren't participating). Some plans allow Roth contributions rather than the typical pre-tax methods. For pre-tax methods growth is also tax free similar to a 403b. Tax is taken upon retirement payout. It's a nice way to reduce your taxable income.

I use it because I've maxed out the 403b (18500), Roth IRA/Backdoor Roth IRA for myself and my wife since I don't qualify for the deduction on the Traditional IRA (only 11000/5500 per person anyway), make contributions to state-affiliated 529 plan to get up to the $10,000 state tax deduction, have plenty of life/disability insurance, and save 1000 a month into a higher yield online savings account at 1.75% for emergency funds. Beyond that a 457 is a good option for safe mutual funds though real estate investments could be a good way to make a ton of money (or lose it quickly).

Last edited:
So I'm fresh out of residency and working my first job. Recently offered a deferred compensation plan. Looking for thoughts on their use. Anyone here contribute or make use of one? Would you if available? Any thoughts on risks vs benefit for them?

Need more details. Governmental 457bs are pretty good, although not as good as 401k/403b. Non governmental 457bs have some issues, If it is an insurance product....run.