the usual 'will i get in?', sorry guys but its nerve wracking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindascared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I;m sorry for posting this type of question but I do need solid advise and gauge what I need to do to succeed.
I would just like to start off by saying that I am completely focused on becoming a dentist and am willing to work my butt off. I decided I wanted to be a dentist my second semester of sophomore year. I am currently a senior at a University of Illinois school ( one of the sister schools) and am a BBA major with a minor in MIS and Bio. I have an overall GPA of about a 3.6 and have plenty of leadership credentials at the Uni and in the community. I have a bunch of volunteering stuff related to my place of worship/ my university. I am also doing a internship at a dental clinic for my BBA major which requires me to work on there operations management stuff and also fallow the executive director (head dentist). But the thing That I am worried most about is my sGPA... I currently have a 3.1ish due to my doing horrible my first few semesters. Since then I have had a solid upwards trend with all B+/A's I also have found time to take about 4 upper division classes that are recommended by most schools. I am currently taking A&P II and A&P lab for my science classes and then more upper division business classes so still staying busy. I plan on doing a masters in public health as i'll have a gap year. I'll be taking the DAT in April and have been studying hard for that as well.
I guess after a quick overview, what do you guys think my chances are of getting accepted?
I plan on applying to
all Illinois schools
Roseman
Meharry
UT
Western (cali)
Touro
UNE
LECOM
and maybe 2-3 more.
If anyone has been accepted or currently is a student in these schools please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's too early to tell without your DAT score. If you do well on it I don't think it would be too difficult to get accepted to a dental school. Depending on how well you do on your DAT you may want to apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
does masters in public health get incorporated as BCP/science gpa???
Depends on the classes. I did an MPH and all of my epidemiology courses were factored into my BCP GPA. For me, that was most of my degree because my concentration was epidemiology, but if you do an MPH with a focus in like health promotion, expect most of them not to.

Depends on the classes. I did an MPH and all of my epidemiology courses were factored into my BCP GPA. For me, that was most of my degree because my concentration was epidemiology, but if you do an MPH with a focus in like health promotion, expect most of them not to.

Just to clarify, your BCP GPA earned from your MPH was completely separate from your undergrad BCP GPA, right...?

Just to clarify, your BCP GPA earned from your MPH was completely separate from your undergrad BCP GPA, right...?
Yes, on AADSAS, your GPA will be shown as BCP, sGPA, nonsGPA, cGPA with Undergrad, Grad, Culmulative.

So did you do a two year program?
I was thinking about doing a two year MPH program but if I get accepted one year in then going to dental.

Senator Durbin will carry you into dental school through his political influence. Don't worry about the GPA. just focus on the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Senator Durbin will carry you into dental school through his political influence. Don't worry about the GPA. just focus on the DAT.
im counting on him.
but no, i was just saying im involved in the community

it's a joke guys. I wasn't planning on getting political in an interview.... if i get an interview :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently have a 3.1ish due to my doing horrible my first few semesters. Since then I have had a solid upwards trend with all B+/A's I also have found time to take about 4 upper division classes that are recommended by most schools. I am currently taking A&P II and A&P lab for my science classes and then more upper division business classes so still staying busy

your main object here is to take a low number of upper division bio classes but score all As to pull up that 3.1 sGPA. business classes are not really helpful to your sGPA. dont go for MPH just to fill in the time. instead, use that gap year to double load on science classes, any upper div bio classes at 4 year college/university counts (immunology, histology, microbiology, advanced biochemistry, epidemiology) and try to score all As. you can do this in term of inofficial post bach.

if you dont do this and just apply, you will find yourself going the long way, which is informal post bach (still don't get in) -> formal master 1 year (still don't get in) -> formal master 2 years (still don't get in) -> SMP 2 years (probably will get in)

though many disagree with this but even with 10000 hours of community service, 1000 hours of shadowing, and shake hand with obama at your organization's hosted events, without competitive GPA and DAT, you won't get in.

So did you do a two year program?
I was thinking about doing a two year MPH program but if I get accepted one year in then going to dental.
I did a 2 year program but completed it in 11 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you doubting yourself? You didn't even apply yet.
well its a lot of pressure and my life does depend on how well I do on the DAT or interviews. But yea, I guess no need for doubting just yet, Just stay focused on the goal
your main object here is to take a low number of upper division bio classes but score all As to pull up that 3.1 sGPA. business classes are not really helpful to your sGPA. dont go for MPH just to fill in the time. instead, use that gap year to double load on science classes, any upper div bio classes at 4 year college/university counts (immunology, histology, microbiology, advanced biochemistry, epidemiology) and try to score all As. you can do this in term of inofficial post bach.

if you dont do this and just apply, you will find yourself going the long way, which is informal post bach (still don't get in) -> formal master 1 year (still don't get in) -> formal master 2 years (still don't get in) -> SMP 2 years (probably will get in)
Yea, alright, that's what I'll do. I still need to take physics which I'll do at a CC but the other courses I'll do at a 4 year (my uni didn't offer algebra physics). I'll pick courses such as immuno and epide and emerging disease. That way if it doesn't workout I can take the masters and still have some classes completed for it.

I think you have a shot. Your GPA is on the low side, but not so bad that it would make it impossible to get in. Of course, you will have to do really well on the DAT to compensate for it. Try to aim for 21+ AA.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have a shot. Your GPA is on the low side, but not so bad that it would make it impossible to get in. Of course, you will have to do really well on the DAT to compensate for it. Try to aim for 21+ AA.
Yup, thats what I'm planning on doing I hope it works out

you have senator durbin on your back. it will work out.